1000$ vocal mic

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:16 pm

bantam wrote:actually picked up a piar of e100's original models for 200. can't find that GT mic. is it fairly rare?
ahh yeah, the e100. thats a great mic.

I've wanted one of the old GT MD1a's for a long time. First studio i worked in here in seattle had two, used on guitars everytime, and vocals whenever the loaner telefunken 47 or lawson 47 wasn't available. Unfortunately that studio went out of biz and the owner sold them immediately... after buying the digi 001, KRK's, blue and white G3 and yamaha spx 90 (formally owned by Jack Endino!) at the time he liquidated the place, couldn't afford any of the MD1a's. 5 years later, I'm still using all of that gear in my home studio!, except the G3.

but those Microtech-Gefell UM70s get a lot of praise and a deal could be found and possibly get two if your willing to go a little over your budget.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:28 pm

jtdeans wrote:ps. have you considered the red type B with interchangable capsules?

you could get the type B with the B7 capsule (47) for about 950 and then further down the road buy more capsules... more sounds... etc.

vintagemicrophone.com
Thats a really good idea. I used one of those a couple of months ago and it was really good.

bantam
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by bantam » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:28 pm

anyone compare the geffel or the red to the u195?

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:34 pm

jtdeans wrote:ps. have you considered the red type B with interchangable capsules?

you could get the type B with the B7 capsule (47) for about 950 and then further down the road buy more capsules... more sounds... etc.

vintagemicrophone.com
Yes, the Red is an amazing value. Mine continues to deliver with nothing but the stock capsule.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:35 pm

@?,*???&? wrote:

vintagemicrophone.com
Yes, the Red is an amazing value. Mine continues to deliver with nothing but the stock capsule.
yeah, your freakin' FREE one... lucky.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:04 pm

oh gefell people, i dunno if i've stressed this before. ON YOUR XLR CABLES STRAP THE GROUND WIRE TO THE SHELL. NO MORE RFI PROBLEMS.

anyway, yea, with lots of these mics, you really just have to pick one and stick with it. you might get use out of one or another, but they are all very nice very usable mics.

so maybe just get the first one on this list that shows up below market value.

you know, at some point, i am not sure why i did it, but i thought: I NEED A $1000 MIC. you know, so like when people came to sing they would be looking at a nice solid mic.

not that its a bad idea, but you know what, i ended up spending pretty much exactly $1000. i COULD have been just as happy and spend less.... but when you set out to spend $1000 you are setting yourself up for overpaying. you know, kinda how a job takes as long to do as the time you set aside to do it.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:38 pm

eeldip wrote:oh gefell people, i dunno if i've stressed this before. ON YOUR XLR CABLES STRAP THE GROUND WIRE TO THE SHELL. NO MORE RFI PROBLEMS.

anyway, yea, with lots of these mics, you really just have to pick one and stick with it. you might get use out of one or another, but they are all very nice very usable mics.

so maybe just get the first one on this list that shows up below market value.

you know, at some point, i am not sure why i did it, but i thought: I NEED A $1000 MIC. you know, so like when people came to sing they would be looking at a nice solid mic.

not that its a bad idea, but you know what, i ended up spending pretty much exactly $1000. i COULD have been just as happy and spend less.... but when you set out to spend $1000 you are setting yourself up for overpaying. you know, kinda how a job takes as long to do as the time you set aside to do it.
and Life Coach speaks again, thank you life coach.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:08 pm

trodden wrote:
@?,*???&? wrote:

vintagemicrophone.com
yeah, your freakin' FREE one... lucky.
Makes one giggle at the thought!

logey
gettin' sounds

Post by logey » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:28 pm

joel hamilton wrote:

vintagemicrophone.com
Thats a really good idea. I used one of those a couple of months ago and it was really good.
I've been really tempted to get one, but since they are only sold on the website it doesn't seem possible to hear one. I wonder how lenient they are about demoing? Hmmm...

Joel - what capsule did you use with it, eh?

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:39 am

logey wrote:
joel hamilton wrote:
jtdeans wrote:Joel - what capsule did you use with it, eh?
The B7, and also with one of my M7's, which was really good. Both were good, but the original M7 was a little darker, and just what I wanted more for what i was recording...

JdJ
pushin' record

Post by JdJ » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:38 am

If I were you I'd see if you can work the Red deal that ended April 1st; buy a Type A + 2 capsules and get a B body for free. Try giving them a call, maybe they'll extend the offer. I've been pretty psyched with my Red B7 & B6 caps, not to mention at some point I'll pick up some Neumann caps for it too. They do have a rental program too. The rental $$ goes towards the purchase price (or at least used to...)

Best of luck,

J

logey
gettin' sounds

Post by logey » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:55 am

JdJ wrote:If I were you I'd see if you can work the Red deal that ended April 1st; buy a Type A + 2 capsules and get a B body for free. Try giving them a call, maybe they'll extend the offer. I've been pretty psyched with my Red B7 & B6 caps, not to mention at some point I'll pick up some Neumann caps for it too. They do have a rental program too. The rental $$ goes towards the purchase price (or at least used to...)

Best of luck,

J
Lets see...If I pick up a Type A +2 caps I'm looking at roughly 2250 (if one of the caps is the R8 ). Not a bad deal...especially if you consider unloading the Type A body for around 1200...that would give you a 1000 dollar mic w/two capsules. Only one pattern, but not bad at all.

Blue is also doing a deal where they give you a Robbie if you buy a Kiwi. Assuming I could get a Kiwi for about 1800-1900 and sell the Pre for 800 That might get into the same ballpark

Great! even more choices in the "good mic for around a grand" category. Maybe I should just go make music with the mics I have.

JdJ
pushin' record

Post by JdJ » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:48 am

logey wrote:Maybe I should just go make music with the mics I have.
That just may be the best idea of all...

-J

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:05 pm

JdJ wrote:
logey wrote:Maybe I should just go make music with the mics I have.
That just may be the best idea of all...

-J
hahaha. it really can get exhausting thinking about all the different options.

the Red mics seem like a nice idea though. now you've got me thinking about them.

bastards.

-ryan
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

Michael_Joly
pushin' record

Post by Michael_Joly » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:52 am

For less than 1/2 your budget you could consider an OktavaMod Edition MK-319 Floating Dome PE - a mic that likes to go to Neumann M149 shootouts.

I would cull a mic from my inventory based on your frequency response requirements. I add the individual factory graph of every stock mic I get in to a master chart. The minor capsule variations are useful - I hand-select mics to match client requirements. Email me privately if you want more info.