Pro-Tools LE and a Macbook

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

zorba
audio school graduate

Pro-Tools LE and a Macbook

Post by zorba » Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:46 pm

Quick question... I have an mbox mini and a macbook. For those of you who have this combo you know you can't open pro-tools (software) without the hardware plugged in. I just want to do some editing on the run sometimes. Is there any way to open up Pro-Tools without the hardware so I can do some rough mixing or editing?

Thanks--Zorba

SoulOfJonas
pushin' record

Post by SoulOfJonas » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:28 pm

nope. it'd be nice but the only way you can open up Pro Tools of any kind (LE/M-Powered/TDM/HD) is with some sort of designated dongle and/or hardware attached.

I've read there was a ProTools Free a few years back that didn't need any sort of dongle or hardware but it was also incredibly limited.

-JV

jonnymo
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jonnymo » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:07 am

yes indeed, the fabled Pro Tools Free...

based on PT 5.1 i think.

ran on Win9x/OS9 only, 8 mono tracks.

on the good side it had support for RTAS plug-ins.

it ran GREAT on my iBook G3/500... :wink:

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:18 am

SoulOfJonas wrote:nope. it'd be nice but the only way you can open up Pro Tools of any kind (LE/M-Powered/TDM/HD) is with some sort of designated dongle and/or hardware attached.
For M-Powered, this hardware is getting pretty close to "dongle" size:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Transit-main.html

Though, if you've already invested in the PT LE software, you might be reluctant to also kick down for the M-Powered version.

Kyle
steve albini likes it

Post by Kyle » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:39 pm

I wish Digidesign would just something on your ilok that would allow you to access the software on your computer without the hardware.
Kyle

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:32 pm

Kyle wrote:I wish Digidesign would just something on your ilok that would allow you to access the software on your computer without the hardware.
Agreed... weird that they don't have this by now, seeing how they're in neck-deep with the iLok anyways...

Andy Peters
re-cappin' neve

re: Pro Tools LE and a MacBook

Post by Andy Peters » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:13 pm

leigh wrote:
Kyle wrote:I wish Digidesign would just something on your ilok that would allow you to access the software on your computer without the hardware.
Agreed... weird that they don't have this by now, seeing how they're in neck-deep with the iLok anyways...
Since you can only use Pro Tools with Digi hardware, there's not much point in allowing you to "run it" without said hardware attached to the computer. After all, you won't be able to hear what you're doing ...

-a
"On the internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

leigh
carpal tunnel

Re: re: Pro Tools LE and a MacBook

Post by leigh » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:06 pm

Andy Peters wrote:Since you can only use Pro Tools with Digi hardware, there's not much point in allowing you to "run it" without said hardware attached to the computer. After all, you won't be able to hear what you're doing ...
The idea would be for the computer's built-in audio hardware to be available to Pro Tools, as was done with the above-mentioned Pro Tools Free. Plug headphones into laptop and edit in the park, on a plane, etc...

Leigh

jonnymo
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jonnymo » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:54 am

agreed on the idea of using the iLok to open PT.

a colleague of mine uses the M-Audio Groovelab and Pro Tools M-Powered, which is basically a glorified (admittedly high-quality) soundcard dongle. while it's small, it's not as portable or easy to use as an iLok would be.

i wouldn't mix out of a laptop soundcard, but it would certainly be more than acceptable to edit with.