who knows of someone who has died from electricity?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

the tiny dancer
audio school graduate

And apologies...

Post by the tiny dancer » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:14 am

I'm sorry if my post was super condescending, too. I've been idiotic enough to have:

1. Bit into a plug (Christmas day, Age eight), because I couldn't get the plug out of the wall. I still remember - there was a glowing sun in each eye. Like looking into the sun, only brighter. Slept for two days.

2. Get thrown across the room by a Hamptone tube power supply.

3. I hate ceiling fans and light fixtures!

Have fun with it, just don't die!

:P

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:37 am

kdarr wrote:
bplr wrote:if dead musician facts are your thing - check this site out:

http://www.av1611.org/rockdead.html
Interesting site, somehow simultaneously morbid and totally dry.

Until I read that, I didn't know that D. Boon's full first name was "Dennes". How about that?

[<|>]
INTARWEB TRACT AHOY!

fuckers left out Syd Barrett and George Harrison, the bastards.

*knocks site down*
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

kweis7
gettin' sounds

burned on the inside

Post by kweis7 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:16 pm

I worked in a hospitalwound/burn clinic in a former life (what memories...) and while I did not see hardly any folks with electrical burns I did learn a bit about them. There is an entry point to the wound (where your hand or whatever touches the hot source) and an exit point somewhere else on your body as the current seeks ground. The electrons look for the path of least resistance so the humidiy, your clothing, what else you're touching, the size of the charge and probably your body chemistry and physique come into play in determining the path the current takes through your body. The 'burn' occurs on the inside across whatever path the current takes and given the right conditions you could easily get a leathal charge across the ole ticker from a modest source of current. Gotta be careful with that stuff.

this seems like a good link:

http://www.emedicine.com/ped/topic2734.htm
you know less than you think you know, I know I do

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:20 pm

high salinity coupled with large amounts of fluid = likely path (your kidneys and liver?)

just eat some onions and beer before grabbing those bare wires!

*phones the local cannibals*
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:49 pm

I was always under the impression that a person's individual physiology had as much to do with electrocution hazard as anything else.

i.e. you don't know what's going to kill you until it does.
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

danno2
audio school graduate

Post by danno2 » Tue May 01, 2007 7:19 pm

I had a friend from high shool who died installing, or perhaps he was working on, his electric water heater- I don't quite remember the exact details... nonetheless it killed him.

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Wed May 02, 2007 6:08 pm

The father of one of my best friends took 50k volts from his welding rig once. He was in the hospital for a week or so, but he survived. He was a four-packs-of Camels-a-day fellow, too.

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron

lsn110
steve albini likes it

Post by lsn110 » Wed May 02, 2007 6:21 pm

I knew a guy that got struck by lightning...
Before the strike, his sperm didn't work. After the strike, they did.

Then again, he had some bad burns.

My only personal experiences with too much electricity came from poor house wiring...I once asked my band mates if the lights had flickered out. They hadn't. We didn't practice in that basement many times.

AudioHog
alignin' 24-trk

Post by AudioHog » Wed May 02, 2007 9:05 pm

I'm a sparky by day. The biggest V's I've worked with is 4160V AC. Biggest amps was a 1000A service. I'm VERY VERY careful as some of the stuff I've worked on was live. 1/10 ampere across the heart will kill you. I've been blasted a number of times. Luckily the path to ground wasn't across my heart. Caps can deliver a nasty blow and on rare circumstance could kill you. Please be careful. Even surgeons gloves could protect you from a nasty blow.

juice
pluggin' in mics

Post by juice » Mon May 07, 2007 12:23 am

me:

while young:
luckliy put key in the wrong (well, I guess the right, since I am here) hole a couple of times
older:
tried to make tazer out of disposable camera, succeeded, broke prototype upon initial test, threw it across the room.
A little older:
aided in the shock of a student in a physics class. We found this cool electric chain thing used for an experiment to study momentum. It lit up this cathode tube we had real good, unfortunately the chain also wrapped around fellow student's hand. Seeing someone holding on to a chain at 120v for 4 seconds is both funny and very scary.
a couple of years ago.
fender bronco with a bad tube (don't remember which one), no 3 prong cable, and no knob on the potentiometer. I had a jolty good time turning up the volume.

I have a coworker with an 8 inch scar on his scalp from being hit by lightning while hiking.

Using latex gloves is a good idea if you are new, especially if your projects don't work when you first fire them up. After the fender champ thing I am so paranoid about ungrounded equipment.

Also, never underestimate the stupidity of a someone who came before you, especially in "finished" basements.

Here are some numbers from the internet:

The conditions necessary to produce 1,000 &#937; of body resistance don't have to be as extreme as what was presented, either (sweaty skin with contact made on a gold ring). Body resistance may decrease with the application of voltage (especially if tetanus causes the victim to maintain a tighter grip on a conductor) so that with constant voltage a shock may increase in severity after initial contact. What begins as a mild shock -- just enough to "freeze" a victim so they can't let go -- may escalate into something severe enough to kill them as their body resistance decreases and current correspondingly increases.

Research has provided an approximate set of figures for electrical resistance of human contact points under different conditions (see end of chapter for information on the source of this data):

* Wire touched by finger: 40,000 &#937; to 1,000,000 &#937; dry, 4,000 &#937; to 15,000 &#937; wet.
* Wire held by hand: 15,000 &#937; to 50,000 &#937; dry, 3,000 &#937; to 5,000 &#937; wet.
* Metal pliers held by hand: 5,000 &#937; to 10,000 &#937; dry, 1,000 &#937; to 3,000 &#937; wet.
* Contact with palm of hand: 3,000 &#937; to 8,000 &#937; dry, 1,000 &#937; to 2,000 &#937; wet.
* 1.5 inch metal pipe grasped by one hand: 1,000 &#937; to 3,000 &#937; dry, 500 &#937; to 1,500 &#937; wet.
* 1.5 inch metal pipe grasped by two hands: 500 &#937; to 1,500 k&#937; dry, 250 &#937; to 750 &#937; wet.
* Hand immersed in conductive liquid: 200 &#937; to 500 &#937;.
* Foot immersed in conductive liquid: 100 &#937; to 300 &#937;.

Note the resistance values of the two conditions involving a 1.5 inch metal pipe. The resistance measured with two hands grasping the pipe is exactly one-half the resistance of one hand grasping the pipe.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon May 07, 2007 4:45 am

This really is not a "gear talk" topic now.

Was it ever? I dunno.

Mike S
studio intern

Post by Mike S » Thu May 10, 2007 5:33 am

Hi all!
First, enlighten me. What is "cap discharge" and how does it happen? (Newbie here, learning)
Also, I worked with an electrician who "turned" me on to a little device that detects voltage. Made by GBInstruments and called a "Circuit Tester" Inductive Voltage Tester 50 - 600 VAC model GVD-504A. When ever I need to work on anything electrical I use this device to check if there is any voltage present. Although not entirely foolproof it has served me well every time I've used it. Keep the battery fresh and carry it with you just like a pen in your pocket. It's better than checking by touching! I have other testing equipment I use in conjunction as well.

klangtone
pushin' record

Post by klangtone » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:21 pm

I've been searching for this little safety manual I got in my electronics lab at University of Miami. Finally found it! Don't take this as the final word, but you gotta love the equation!

"The level of current required to kill any human is remarkably small. For this reason, extreme care must always be excercised to prevent electric shock from occuring. The threshold of perception of current in most humans is about 1 mA. The sensation caused by this current level takes the form of an unpleasant tingling or heating at the point of contact. Currents above 1 mA but below 5 mA are felt more strongly, but usually do not produce severe pain. However, current levels of 1 to 5 mA can still be dangerous because of the startling reaction they may cause. At levels above 10 mA, currents passing through the body begins to cause involuntary muscular contraction. Owing to these spasms, the victim loses the ability to control muscles. Eventhough the pain is severe, the victim is unable to release the grip on the electrical conductor being held.
By using indirect methods (i.e. by applying currents to lab animals), investigators have determined that current can be fatal in 1 out of 20 cases if it exceeds the value given by:

i(mA) = 116/sqrt(t(seconds))

For example, this equation predicts that a current of 100 mA must flow for approximately 1.3 seconds before it is fatal."

I highlighted that last bit...

Roy
www.rarefiedrecording.com
"No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media,
and our religious and charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful." -Kurt Vonnegut

philbo
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by philbo » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:34 pm

blixton wrote:
Is this ironic somehow? Im trying to work on my irony detector., Very strange and sad and also amusing story.
I guess the part about "everyone started praying immediately" is sort of ironic... too bad nobody had the presence of mind to try doing stuff, like maybe unhooking the mic, maybe pulling the guy out & doing a bit of CPR... it's the simple things that count.

I once taught biomedical electronics classes in college. IIRC, it takes about 10 uA (10 millionths of an amp) to stop the human heart. If this is contacted through the skin, most of the current passes through other parts of the body & bypasses the heart... but it's probably not a good gamble.

If more than 100 mA (1/10th of an amp) flows through tissue for any length of time, the electrolytes in the body are chemically changed by the ion currents, and cause chemical burns that can be extremely serious.
________
YAMAHA TDR 250 HISTORY
Last edited by philbo on Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

supertzar
ass engineer

Post by supertzar » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:37 am

I know someone whose dad got eloctrocuted on the job. He was working on a power line and the line came down and landed on the truck, causing what must have been quite a sight/sound/smell. Inexplicably, the trained electrician went over to the truck and tried to get the downed line off the truck. He was fried instantly. His partner ran over and knocked him loose, but it was too late.