who knows of someone who has died from electricity?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

versuviusx
re-cappin' neve

who knows of someone who has died from electricity?

Post by versuviusx » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:16 am

ok
i need to know if there is anyone here who knows of someone who has accidentally died from electrocution via Cap discharge on a power supply or just some freak accident on stage, etc. if they died from electricity they count. then i need to know how much voltages were in play here so i can do more research on the topic. i'd like to know how much voltage can kill someone and what are the max voltages that any audio equipment can produce. this includes guitar amps, vintage PA systems, modern audio equipment, compressors, etc.

tenchijin2.
alignin' 24-trk

Post by tenchijin2. » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:55 am

I don't know anyone that fits your requirement, personally.

However, very low voltage can kill if enough *amperage* is grounded. The amps involved are what usually kill people. Similarly, very high voltage can be painful but not fatal if the amp load is light.

beadgc23
audio school graduate

Post by beadgc23 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:14 am

tenchijin2. wrote:However, very low voltage can kill if enough *amperage* is grounded. The amps involved are what usually kill people. Similarly, very high voltage can be painful but not fatal if the amp load is light.
True - it's the Volts that Jolts, but the Mills that kills... :roll:

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:30 am

Well, I don't personaly know anyone who's been eaten by a lion, either, but I'm not gonna go waving a steak at one.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:44 am

I was electrocuted once with 240v when I was working for an electrical contractor. Made my are go dead for about 5 minutes and ache for the rest of the day. While it didn't kill me, a little something in me died that day. Hmmmm.....

bplr
takin' a dinner break

Post by bplr » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:45 am

Bipolar Production

ThunderFaceWizardHead
alignin' 24-trk

Post by ThunderFaceWizardHead » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:50 am

I was shocked by an electric blanket once. When I realized I could never fully trust those nice warm coils again I died a little on the inside.

madtho
steve albini likes it

Post by madtho » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:08 pm

cgarges wrote:Well, I don't personaly know anyone who's been eaten by a lion, either, but I'm not gonna go waving a steak at one.
lancebug wrote:I was electrocuted once with 240v when I was working for an electrical contractor. Made my are go dead for about 5 minutes and ache for the rest of the day. While it didn't kill me, a little something in me died that day. Hmmmm.....
Funny,
I took 220V while working for a guy that ended up getting eaten by his tiger, true. It hurt a lot (the electrocution), My arm ached for a month and I was a total space case for a week. I guess it was a fairly low amp situation, so I suppose I'm lucky. I've also gotten zapped with 110V a few times.

I don't do much electrical work anymore.

And I'm very careful about cap discharge.

And i'm not dead, so sorry, no help.

-mad
We wanted to play traditional jazz in the worst way...and we did!
-Dave Van Ronk

LewKellogg
gimme a little kick & snare

I was

Post by LewKellogg » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:29 pm

I was killed by electricity once.

:roll: I got better...

"A Duck!"
Lew
Kings Mill Audio
"Oh that magic feeling, Nowhere to go"...

E-money
pushin' record

Post by E-money » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:37 pm

The first time I saw a bunch of white people dancing the Electric Slide, well I wanted to die, or at least have my mind's eye poked out with a sharp stick.
"Politics are like sports, where all the teams suck"

MarcoPogo
gettin' sounds

Post by MarcoPogo » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:43 pm

***Offhand I can think of two guitarists killed by electrocution: Les Harvey of the band Stone the Crows was electrocuted onstage, and Keith Relf of the Yardbirds.

-MR

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:46 pm

MarcoPogo wrote:***Offhand I can think of two guitarists killed by electrocution: Les Harvey of the band Stone the Crows was electrocuted onstage, and Keith Relf of the Yardbirds.

-MR
Wasn't Relf doing something totally stupid, like playing electric guitar while taking a bath?

jtdeans
alignin' 24-trk

electricity

Post by jtdeans » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:55 pm

my fathers father (grandpa) was the manager of a power plant in virginia around 60 years ago. after a storm had raged for 3 days he asked his best friend and coworker if the lines were off, tired from being up for so long and unable to think clearly the man responded with a yes. my grandfather went to work on the power-line and of course was then electrocuted. he survived 1 day afterwards, but eventually the damage was too great.

ironically - my dad got his degree in electrical engineering.

MarcoPogo
gettin' sounds

Post by MarcoPogo » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:06 pm

Wasn't Relf doing something totally stupid, like playing electric guitar while taking a bath?
Well, according to http://elvispelvis.com/electrocuted.htm, a website of electrocuted musicians (for heaven's sake), that's an urban myth and it was an improperly grounded guitar amp. I believe that his health was not good, and remembering hearing that he had asthma.

I have also heard that one is more likely to be electrocuted by US line power than British, because 60hz is closer than 50hz, to the heart's electrical triggering rhythm. Another myth?

Cheers,

-MR

bplr
takin' a dinner break

Post by bplr » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:25 pm

if dead musician facts are your thing - check this site out:

http://www.av1611.org/rockdead.html
Bipolar Production