overdubs through a tape machine into daw?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

runrunrun
re-cappin' neve

overdubs through a tape machine into daw?

Post by runrunrun » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:45 pm

i have been tracking all my basic tracks to a Tascam 58 1/2" 8track, dumping those into my 001, and finishing the overdubs in PT.

I had the idea of having all the overdubs hit the tape machine (15IPS) and then go straight from it into the daw. I know there will be a bit of latency involved so i planned on sending a few bars of click to the tape machine at the start and end and lining them up afterwards.

Is the latency from the tape machine going to really interfere with the monitoring during tracking? anything else that I should consider? I know i can do the overdubs straight into PT but if I can hit the tape, that'd be perfect.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:45 pm

well, here is something you could do... mult the signal pre-tape, send one directly into the PT, send the other one to tape, have the machine in repro, with the output of that track into PT as well... monitor the direct to PT signal, then after you record the pass, just line up the 15ips delayed one with the direct one, and voila, you have a tape track in PT. I don't know if it is totally worth the trouble, but that is the best way I can think of to get it onto tape and into PT without wierd time drift issues.

you could also have someone touch the tape flange on the supply reel for some wierd pitch modulation and pan that and the direct PT track opposite...

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

runrunrun
re-cappin' neve

Post by runrunrun » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:01 am

toaster3000 wrote:well, here is something you could do... mult the signal pre-tape, send one directly into the PT, send the other one to tape, have the machine in repro, with the output of that track into PT as well... monitor the direct to PT signal, then after you record the pass, just line up the 15ips delayed one with the direct one, and voila, you have a tape track in PT. I don't know if it is totally worth the trouble, but that is the best way I can think of to get it onto tape and into PT without wierd time drift issues.

you could also have someone touch the tape flange on the supply reel for some wierd pitch modulation and pan that and the direct PT track opposite...

john
hey thats a bit better version of the idea i had, i'll give it a shot. thanks. anymore input is welcome.

Disasteradio
pushin' record

Post by Disasteradio » Tue May 01, 2007 3:50 am

toaster3000 wrote:you could also have someone touch the tape flange on the supply reel for some wierd pitch modulation
BUH! THAT'S why it's called "flanging"! hold on while I run outside to save the office roof from my ensuing head explosion.....

ok I'm back, and evidently, I'm a complete moron. wow. Flanging.

Mzkguy
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Mzkguy » Thu May 03, 2007 1:02 pm

If you're trying to get that analog tape sound to PT, then you'll have to run the tape machine in repro. That is going to give you analog latency as you'll be monitoring off of the playback head not the record head.
Mzkguy

jetboatguy
takin' a dinner break

Post by jetboatguy » Sat May 12, 2007 3:47 pm

Tyler, have you tried this method yet... ?

so first of all... yes, always use a universal slate on your tape/files for visual syncro on your PT.

so... what Fudgy and I have been doing on his projects, is that when we have filled up all the 8-tracks on his 1/2" tape machine... we then dump the 8-discrete tracks to the DAW and then start creating a rough mix via the DAW (usually a mono mix)... print the mono mix back to track-1 on the tape (and include slate during this procedure)... and voila, now you have a 1" 16-track analog machine -1 track for the craziness.

when the second transfer is complete, our files appear to sync up fine ?
"Digital?
Is that the thing where they take a good old sine wave and they chop it up into little bits?" --- Rupert Neve

bniesz
takin' a dinner break

Post by bniesz » Fri May 18, 2007 8:19 am

I've been doing what you're talking about for live takes, but not overdubs yet, though I've been considering it.

How do you monitor ODs normally? Does the 001 have direct monitoring? If not, you'll hear some latency anyway, digitally. The best monitoring solution may be to monitor off the mic pre. The draw back is that you won't hear the same thing PT hears (no tape sound), but at least you'll be able to just performance.

If you've got direct monitoring, multing to PT and Tape->PT would solve a few problems. Both monitoring and a reference would be available with the non-tape track. Another sync solution would be to send the mix (or a prerecorded track) out to tape and retrack it simultaniously, then nudge the OD tracks together until the rerecorded tape track likes up with the original.