Audio only recording on right side...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

hikikomori
audio school graduate

Audio only recording on right side...

Post by hikikomori » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:41 pm

hi,

so i am very(!) new to recording, and am having a big problem. awhile back, i was recording an alesis micron straight into a macbook onto garageband, and when i played back, it only recorded mono into the right side (forgive my lack of terminology please!). i figured it was because of the weird jack i had bought, and gave up on it. now i have ableton live, and am recording through an mbox 2 mini. i tried recording a microkorg, and the same thing happened. i've messed with all the knobs on the front of the mbox to no avail. i tried the alesis again, to see if it was the keyboard, but it wasn't. now both of these keyboards have a left and right output, and i'm only plugging one in. but i tried the headphone jack, and that didn't work either. i tried switching from the left output on the keyboard to the right, but the playback doesn't change ears. it's always only on the right side. do i need a double pronged cable to go into both the left and right output of these keyboards in order for it to record in stereo? or am i just dumb? simple solution anywhere? thanks!

-brent

spectralgrey
gettin' sounds

Post by spectralgrey » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:52 pm

If you want to record your keyoard in stereo through the mbox mini you'll need two cables. One will go from the left output of your keyboard into input 1 on your mbox mini, and the other will go from the right output of your keyboard into input 2 on your mbox mini.

hikikomori
audio school graduate

Post by hikikomori » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:52 pm

i feel pretty dumb, but i figured it out. thanks!

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:57 pm

If you want it in mono you need to make sure your using a mono track on your software.