Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:24 am

I ordered a set of NOS JAN Philips tubes for my Mesa Boogie combo and couldn't be happier. I got a pair of the JP 6L6 power tubes and subbed in the lower gain JP 5751 for the 12AX7s. I actually like the clean tones the amp puts out rather than the high gain madness Mesa is known for, so the 5751s bring out the cleans much better.

Really an improvement over the set of EH tubes I had before.

next

PublicMelody
takin' a dinner break

CAD VX2 (x3)

Post by PublicMelody » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:44 am

Two months ago I scored a CAD VX2 on The Bay.

I'm was so impressed with this mic that I just bought two more. One is a complete kit (PSU, body, 2 capsules). The other is missing the smaller capsule and PSU, but I'm going to replace them.

This is a discontinued model, but here's some info if you're curious:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep00/articles/cad.htm

This microphone has two dual triode tubes and two transformers. Each side of the capsule runs through one triode from each tube, then out it's own transformer.

The sound is very 3D...almost sounds like stereo (in Fig-8) compared to my 414 XLii.

PublicMelody
takin' a dinner break

Post by PublicMelody » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:35 pm

Two months ago I scored a CAD VX2 on The Bay.

I'm was so impressed with this mic that I just bought two more. One is a complete kit (PSU, body, 2 capsules). The other is missing the smaller capsule and PSU, but I'm going to replace them.

This is a discontinued model, but here's some info if you're curious:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep00/articles/cad.htm

This microphones has two dual triode tubes and two transformers. Each side of the capsule runs through one triode from each tube, then out it's own transformer.

The sound is very 3D...almost sounds like stereo (in Fig-8 ) compared to my 414 XLii.
Last edited by PublicMelody on Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:00 pm

I got a used Pearlman TM1 that I think used to by Ozzy's/

8)

Wainwright
gettin' sounds

gear

Post by Wainwright » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:04 pm

Tab - V78M
No Toasters - Nice Pair
Yamaha - SPX90 II
Malekko - B:ASSMASTER
Sovtek - Smallstone
((( Sucking in Stereo )))

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:40 am

today I am moving Auditronics 'Son of 36 Grand' #007 from Studio G to The Bunker...

it was pretty surreal spending 4 hours at G yesterday with Joel cutting a bunch of snakes, pulling all the modules and getting the console up on in's back on a dolly.... ready to go!

unreal.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:58 am

I bought an akg d12 on ebay from a local woman who, I later found out, was also selling a male chastity belt that came with a some odd spikey attachments that made me whimper when I saw them. I declined to purchase it along with my d12.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:08 am

Just yesterday... a matched pair of Omni capsules for my Oktava MK012 pair.

thesimulacre
takin' a dinner break

Post by thesimulacre » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:28 pm

Just picked up a Bluebird mic for $350. MMM! Goodbye MXL, you just never had the output (or even a large diaphragm for that matter). If all goes according to plan, today I will pick up an ADAT as payment for a record transfer. It'll be nice to have those extra channels instead of having to 2-trk from the TEAC mix-dinosaur. Or maybe it'll just complicate things. Either way... STOKED!

PublicMelody
takin' a dinner break

Post by PublicMelody » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:40 pm

thesimulacre wrote:Just picked up a Bluebird mic for $350. MMM! Goodbye MXL, you just never had the output (or even a large diaphragm for that matter). If all goes according to plan, today I will pick up an ADAT as payment for a record transfer. It'll be nice to have those extra channels instead of having to 2-trk from the TEAC mix-dinosaur. Or maybe it'll just complicate things. Either way... STOKED!
Which MXL mic?

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:32 am

toaster3000 wrote:today I am moving Auditronics 'Son of 36 Grand' #007 from Studio G to The Bunker...

it was pretty surreal spending 4 hours at G yesterday with Joel cutting a bunch of snakes, pulling all the modules and getting the console up on in's back on a dolly.... ready to go!

unreal.

john
TOTALLY surreal. To add to that, I was moving that console that I have loved and put so much of myself into, and helping to carry it out of the studio and into the Bunker in the morning, then sitting in the DESERT that night. TOTALLY surreal.
Waking up in tucson with the move feeling long ago. it was yesterday morning.

I also am freaking out about the fact thaere is a crew doing the pre-wire for me at my studio while I hang out in the desert, and the day I get back there will be a neve console where my old console was.

I am excited. yes.

thesimulacre
takin' a dinner break

Post by thesimulacre » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:39 am

PublicMelody wrote:
thesimulacre wrote:Just picked up a Bluebird mic for $350. MMM! Goodbye MXL, you just never had the output (or even a large diaphragm for that matter). If all goes according to plan, today I will pick up an ADAT as payment for a record transfer. It'll be nice to have those extra channels instead of having to 2-trk from the TEAC mix-dinosaur. Or maybe it'll just complicate things. Either way... STOKED!
Which MXL mic?
A 990 with 2 layers of mesh removed and dampened... I will undoubtedly still use it for some things, but what a difference!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:22 pm

Chandler zener limiter. prototype #01. Chandler rules. Really .

Ivon
steve albini likes it

Post by Ivon » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:55 pm

Two sets of Martin medium acoustic guitar strings. :| Saving my money for something bigger.

carlsaff
takin' a dinner break

Post by carlsaff » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:09 pm

Requisite L2M mk. III tube limiter. Completely phenomenal. Does very "tape-like" things to the mids, and has a limiter feedback control that is essentially a harmonic presence/overdrive knob. A click or two of that is really something else on a dull master. In the photo below (which was sent to me by the designer, Danny McKinney) the L2M is on top of a prototype of the all-tube PSU (I got the standard PSU).

Carl Saff Mastering
http://www.saffmastering.com