Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu May 29, 2008 4:04 pm

mingus2112 wrote:I freaked out and bought 5 Guild acoustics in the past few months. I think i'm ok now. . .

those are so beautiful.

I need an acoustic. i think i'll put guild on the list.

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Thu May 29, 2008 5:50 pm

4 API 325 line amp cards. With step up transformers and a couple simple changes I'll have 4 312 mic pres!!

Got for $100 a piece. Seemed like a great deal.
Check out my website for cool songs recorded and played by me with Steve Goulding of the Mekons on drums. Drums were recorded by our own Joel H at Studio G.
www.linusNYC.com

Anaon
audio school graduate

Post by Anaon » Sat May 31, 2008 4:29 am

- Line 6 Liqua Flange which is already on Ebay :lol: too complex and not really the sound I was looking for...

- Guyatone WR2, not received yet
My first album is available here

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Sat May 31, 2008 8:41 am

EV RE-10.
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by wren » Sat May 31, 2008 10:57 am

A pair of Polk RTi4 speakers (brand-new) and a Hafler P1500 (more beat-up than the ebay listing alluded to, but it still works fine). A relatively minor improvement in sound over my old Samson R5a's, but at least they're reliable (or seem so thus far anyway). One of the R5a's had a woofer that randomly hummed, popped, and contracted in a really weird and frightening way.

On the guitar front, I got an Ibanez Weeping Demon wah. I like it, but it doesn't really have a place on my permanent pedalboard, so it's already become one of those "studio tools" (i.e. things I don't really use but like too much to sell). So there's still a space on my pedalboard that needs filling. 8)

I'll be getting a little bit of cable as with my next paycheck (Monday), and hopefully I'll pick up something to fill that pedal void (I'm thinking some sort of modulation/filter, but I'm not sure what exactly).
"I don't need time, I need a deadline." -Duke Ellington

"I liked the holes in it as much as I liked what was in them." -Tom Waits

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:02 am

It's been a busy (and expensive) couple of weeks here in the Smash-zone!

Off e-bay:

Tascam DA-38 (with remote)
Snakes for said DA-38
Used Ibanez Artcore semi-hollow (hasn't shipped yet)

From our street-wide garage sale:

Peavey Centurion bass head & 2 15" cabs (for the wife)
AKG D-140e and Radio Shack cheapie mics (came with Centurion)
Squier P-bass, totally hammered, made in China (for a buck)(that's right, $1.00)

Unrelated to music but from the same street sale:

One totally hella bike. It's a Nashbar with 27" rims, 21" frame, and it's light as a feather (OK I know it's not music gear, but I'm as excited about the bike as I am about any of the other stuff. I've been looking for one of these for years.) It's a racing bike originally, but we've got it set up more for touring/commuting.
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:29 pm

drove an hour north today and picked up a complete 60's tube PA system in a 7 foot tall Hammerite green metal rack, from a funeral home. WHOA.

it has a Bogen tube amp, reference speaker, switch panel, Magnecorder reel-to-reel, and a bombproof rack drawer with a turntable in it. it's got chrome and red trim, showroom mint. damn thing weighs a ton, even empty.

COOLEST RACK EVER and i can't wait to get this beast in my home studio after i move. imma gonna put EVERYTHING in it.

also came with a box of 'funeral records'. :shock:
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

criticalmonkey
audio school graduate

Post by criticalmonkey » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:26 pm

cv controlled wave multiplier, cv controlled wave shaper, an osclator and a midi to cv unit for my modular synth/processor - golden age for modular synths

and one of these funky pedals - triwavepicogenerator

http://www.4mspedals.com/showpic.php?id=1230

maybe the lsd age for pedals? :D

scott macdonald
takin' a dinner break

Post by scott macdonald » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:50 pm

Smitty wrote:drove an hour north today and picked up a complete 60's tube PA system in a 7 foot tall Hammerite green metal rack, from a funeral home. WHOA.
Dude, you should use that to record some death metal.

*** <i>ba da bing!</i> ***

I'll be here all week!

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:09 am

scott macdonald wrote:
Smitty wrote:drove an hour north today and picked up a complete 60's tube PA system in a 7 foot tall Hammerite green metal rack, from a funeral home. WHOA.
Dude, you should use that to record some death metal.

*** <i>ba da bing!</i> ***

I'll be here all week!
i asked the guy from the place, jokingly, if it was haunted, and he said "i try not to think about it like that." :D

thecheat
pushin' record

Post by thecheat » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:44 am

Peavey Butcher 4x12 cab
From before most of what they made sounded and was built like crap, seriously, this thing rocks. Its loaded with 85 Watt Celestions and screams with my H&K Triamp.

eBow! To replace the one that was "Borrowed" from my studio sometime in 2007, by a local emo band.

Two Atlas Boom stands, thanks prklem! (am i the only one who hates buying stuff like this?)

Just Finished three 7'6"x4' rolling vertical baffles, ya know, for the kids.
"It's like Tom Jones Gargling a Hammer."
http://www.alpacaranchrecording.com

Shawn Simmons
buyin' a studio

Post by Shawn Simmons » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:04 pm

Just got a Mercury M72s (one of the early ones with the engraved faceplate) and it is fucking killer. Used it all weekend on a rock record. Slays on overheads and really excelled on some electric guitar tracks. I'm happy.

s

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:04 am

Shawn1272 wrote:Just got a Mercury M72s (one of the early ones with the engraved faceplate) and it is fucking killer. Used it all weekend on a rock record. Slays on overheads and really excelled on some electric guitar tracks. I'm happy.

s
I'm sure those are amazing. I have a pair of V72s that were racked by Mercenary and they are my first choice pre's.
Check out my website for cool songs recorded and played by me with Steve Goulding of the Mekons on drums. Drums were recorded by our own Joel H at Studio G.
www.linusNYC.com

>Mojave_Gary<
alignin' 24-trk

Post by >Mojave_Gary< » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:31 am

Brand new Fender MIM Jaguar, white with tortoise shell pickguard and a Fender 60 watt custom deluxe Texas Red limited edition with 12"vintage celetion. :D
What the #*%@ is that BuZzInG sOuNd ??

Shawn Simmons
buyin' a studio

Post by Shawn Simmons » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:48 pm

linus wrote:
Shawn1272 wrote:Just got a Mercury M72s (one of the early ones with the engraved faceplate) and it is fucking killer. Used it all weekend on a rock record. Slays on overheads and really excelled on some electric guitar tracks. I'm happy.

s
I'm sure those are amazing. I have a pair of V72s that were racked by Mercenary and they are my first choice pre's.
I would've liked to get some original V72s but they can be pretty tempermental. The TAB-Funkenwerk V72s is amazing too (but really hard to come by). I'm happy with the Mercury. Great build quality and sound.