Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:27 am

TV Lenny wrote:Dang it....went past a small guitar shop last night so I popped in. They had a little Silvertone 1481 which I picked up for $85. Not a real steal but a pretty decent deal. It sounds quite nice.

Tom
$85 for a cool guitar amp isn't a "real steal"?
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

Post by TV Lenny » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:26 pm

$85 for a cool guitar amp isn't a "real steal"?
I don't know what they have been selling for normally. I know its upwards of over $100. Pretty nice price for an all tube 40 something year old amp!

Amazing the tone you get with such an amp. I still have to recap it, but there really wasn't even any major hum. Now if only I can find that rummage sale with an RCA 77 for $25...

Tom
White Oak Guitars - Fine boutique handmade guitar & bass pickups

hyde maintenance
gettin' sounds

Post by hyde maintenance » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:15 pm

I just picked up two Klimt Echolette "S" tape echos with most of the original telefunken tubes inside. Each one has a slightly different problem though. One has had the repeat trim pot removed (possibly more) and is strictly a slapback machine. The other has all the controls functioning but won't pass signal through the two channels with gain and tone adjustment on the left (I'm guessing this one is probably an easyish fix).

Regardless, these are pretty cool machines, and I'm actually really digging the slapback box- whatever was done has given it a tighter quality compared to the other machine with the repeats turned all the way down.

I have yet to change the tape loops or demagnetize the heads so they're probably a little more 'furry' than normal right now, but still very nice- very different from my 501 or Vorg.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:13 pm

those silvertones are awesome little amps and have been fetching upwards of $300 - $400 around here.

i want to post to this list badly but the 2 things i am waiting on are still somewhere in the mail.... (hate waiting!!)
the new rules : there are no rules

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:29 pm

A completely uncool Behringer BCF 2000, but it sure is nice to move faders without a mouse!

pablotf
ass engineer

Post by pablotf » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:30 pm

Just got a 1971 Fender Super Reverb. The cops should be on their way by now.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:48 pm

Meriphew wrote:I think my next purchase will be a HUGE avatar that warps the screen.
I just now saw this post and think it's by far my favorite post of the last couple of years. In fact, this may become my new signature.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:02 pm

pablotf wrote:Just got a 1971 Fender Super Reverb. The cops should be on their way by now.
I heart Super Reverbs!
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

rydberg
pushin' record

Post by rydberg » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:13 am

Couple of months ago, I finally got an Avalon U5 DI. Awesome.

Couple of weeks ago, I found and bought a '77 Marshall 2204 JMP 50 Watt Lead combo...in fawn tolex. Awesomer.

capnreverb
takin' a dinner break

Post by capnreverb » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:49 pm

A really stupid impulse buy on appearance alone. It looks so cool but I know it won't sound worth shit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0353208663

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:26 pm

capnreverb wrote:A really stupid impulse buy on appearance alone. It looks so cool but I know it won't sound worth shit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0353208663
Haha! It looks like a half-built robot....who cares how it sounds!

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:41 am

The Skreddy Echo I paid for (in full) 5 months, 1 week ago finally arrived. I'm not sure I would have bothered had I known they were going to be so delayed.

When I ordered it the wait was 3 months. As soon as they got my order they sent me an e-mail to say, Thanks for the order, it's gonna be a 4 month wait.

Now it finally showed up.

I haven't tried it yet but will give it a work out. I have a bunch of other delays to compare it against: Roland SE-555, Binson Echorec, Moog analog delay, vintage EH memory man, and a slew of other pedals.

We'll see how it stacks up.

Oh... I got a '65 Gibson LG-0. It needed a replacement bridge because the cheapo plastic bridge was lifting off and warped. I had a beautiful replacement made out of ebony that is the same color as the plastic bridge. It was polished and looks just like the original plastic bridge.
Guitar plays great but the neck is a bit too narrow for me (Gibson got so skinny in the mid to late 60's). Sounds great too.
Check out my website for cool songs recorded and played by me with Steve Goulding of the Mekons on drums. Drums were recorded by our own Joel H at Studio G.
www.linusNYC.com

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:58 am

linus wrote:The Skreddy Echo I paid for (in full) 5 months, 1 week ago finally arrived. I'm not sure I would have bothered had I known they were going to be so delayed.

When I ordered it the wait was 3 months. As soon as they got my order they sent me an e-mail to say, Thanks for the order, it's gonna be a 4 month wait.

Now it finally showed up.

I haven't tried it yet but will give it a work out. I have a bunch of other delays to compare it against: Roland SE-555, Binson Echorec, Moog analog delay, vintage EH memory man, and a slew of other pedals.

We'll see how it stacks up.

I'd love to hear your thoughts. I have been considering getting the Skreddy myself, but have been detoured by the waiting period. If it's worth it, then I might be more inclined to actually pull the trigger.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:46 pm

Harmon-Kardon stereo system & JBL P-20's for $40 total. The H/K setup has a separate power amp and preamp. I'm using the power amp for the studio. The preamp doesn't sound quite the same on both channels, so I don't really trust it enough to mix through it. Anyway, it's a huge step up from the Crate SPA-200 I've been using, even if it's a little quieter.

The JBL's are amazingly flat and detailed. I got them at my neighbor's yard sale, & he let me try them out to make sure they work. I plugged them into my stereo, popped in one of my mixes, and started noticing things I'd never heard before. That's a good set of bookshelf speakers, right there.
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:13 am

I had been on the fence about these for a week or two, but I finally went ahead and ordered them today.

T-Rex Fuel Tank Junior

Catalinbread DLS (snuffer water blue color)

Sonic Research Turbo Tuner