Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:33 pm

I spent a little time with Cubase tonight and I'm not too comfortable with automation yet...but using outboard equipment is a lot easier than with Pro Tools 8 LE.

But, I need to get all my settings how I like them with Cubase and figure out how to do all the routing before I can really compare the two.

One thing I haven't figured out with Cubase is the VST connections...I have 8 ins/outs with my Lynx but I can't have multiple assignments...which is really frustrating. Like, why can I have outs 3 and 4 be a bus and a insert? It's sort of frustrations using it a like a digital patchbay.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:24 pm

You can have multiple assignments within a project. Like I can send however many tracks to Output 3 on my RME. But you are right I think in the main menu you can't. Although you can save different set ups I believe. Sub or Jonic seem to know cubase inside and out, you should post about it in the computer forum.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:34 pm

Ibanez DE-7 for $12.

great faux analogue delay, will do spaceship noises as well.

with up to 2600ms of delay and a self-oscillating feedback setting, can also do sound on sound.

hopefully the footswitch stays good on it!
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:25 pm

Squier "Classic Vibe" Tele, had fallen off the hanger at the store, so it's been "pre relic'ed" for me. $230. There is the chip visible in this crappy iPhone pic (upper bass-side bout), and another on the bottom edge just south of the volume/tone knobs.

My first Tele-esque guitar, so I don't have a comparison benchmark, but it got rave reviews in Guitar Player mag and on tdpri.com (Tele players forum).
I like it. It shipped with 9's, I put 10's on, and it still feels a little too slinky, I may go .011 to .047 ?

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:37 pm

Ouch, that's a pretty hard fall off the hanger to make marks like that! I've dropped guitars on my cement floor and they don't get chips that big. Anyway I've got a Squier Tele, the older Affinity butterscotch blonde one, and i LOVE it. That one's got 10's on it and it doesn't feel slinky at all, i know 11's would be too much on mine. I'm dying for one of those Classic Vibes, everyone seems to love them, but I can't justify having two Tele's, especially two Squier Teles. Oh well!

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:52 am

jgimbel wrote:Ouch, that's a pretty hard fall off the hanger to make marks like that! I've dropped guitars on my cement floor and they don't get chips that big. Anyway I've got a Squier Tele, the older Affinity butterscotch blonde one, and i LOVE it. That one's got 10's on it and it doesn't feel slinky at all, i know 11's would be too much on mine. I'm dying for one of those Classic Vibes, everyone seems to love them, but I can't justify having two Tele's, especially two Squier Teles. Oh well!
Yeah, the music store had a tile floor, but I am thinking it hit the corner of an amp on the way down (crowded store). The body is pine, that probably doesn't help. I will probably try the 11's, then realize I can't bend strings, and put 10's back on.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:27 pm

Yeah 10's on my tele to me feel like 11's on my strat. For whatever reason it's just a little tougher to bend strings there, which is something I like about my tele (I don't know if this is all teles or just mine). I always think of it being like an electric guitar with a little acoustic mixed in, as it's harder to bend strings like an acoustic and also just feels so damn nice for rhythm.

kinger
steve albini likes it

Post by kinger » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:00 pm

New vintage sunburst Epiphone Dot with hardshell case and lotsa goodies for CAN$300. I'm pretty stoked about it.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:05 pm

kinger wrote:New vintage sunburst Epiphone Dot with hardshell case and lotsa goodies for CAN$300. I'm pretty stoked about it.
How does it sound to you?
I checked a couple of those out in the stores and they had a kind of skronky nasally sound to me that didnt seem very much like a hollow body.
But then hey, import guitars do vary a bit. Some epiphones are awesome.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

kinger
steve albini likes it

Post by kinger » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:50 pm

calaverasgrandes wrote: How does it sound to you?
I checked a couple of those out in the stores and they had a kind of skronky nasally sound to me that didnt seem very much like a hollow body.
But then hey, import guitars do vary a bit. Some epiphones are awesome.
I'm definitely digging it. The build quality seems excellent and I'm getting some great tones through my little Marshall combo. The bridge pickup could easily be described as skronky on it's own but it sounds nice in conjunction with the neck pickup. And it looks really frickin' cool.

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Post by Jon Nolan » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:28 pm

AKG BX-20! wooooo! sounds awesome.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:37 pm

I keep waiting for one of the $35 ribbon mics to show up here!

infiniteposse
alignin' 24-trk

Post by infiniteposse » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:27 pm

Just got a used Dangerous 2-buss LT and a Lavry AD10. No more ITB.
Lee
www.mysterymachinestudio.com
??It doesn't matter if you can play a scale. It doesn't matter if your technique is good. If you have feelings that you want to get out through music, that's what matters.? Neil Young

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:37 pm

Here's what I got for free today:
a ProCo instrument pre-amp series B
a PAS-300 series III amplifier (can't find a dern thing about this online, but man its huge -- 5 rackspace, I think?)
a Crate solid state guitar amp with some serious dirty pot issues and a sweet spring verb.

I like free things.

jaguarsg
pushin' record

Post by jaguarsg » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:47 pm

Jon Nolan wrote:AKG BX-20! wooooo! sounds awesome.
eff you. :D

congrats.