Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:54 pm

Yep,i see a filter factory in my future too.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:17 pm

Four Yamaha PM1000 Channels strips for $45/each. Creating two 2-channel preamps out of them. Possibly with different output transformers per pair.
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:52 pm

ipressrecord wrote:Four Yamaha PM1000 Channels strips for $45/each. Creating two 2-channel preamps out of them. Possibly with different output transformers per pair.
you get those from crooked sound? seems deals on those always come up when i'm wondering how in the hell i'm gonna pay rent in two weeks.

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:30 pm

4 Symetrix SX202's for $97 total (thats about $12 per channel). All 4 look brand new, but are going to need some deoxit for scratchy pots and switches. I suspect they have been sitting in a closet at the local university since the late 90's.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:15 am

trodden wrote:
ipressrecord wrote:Four Yamaha PM1000 Channels strips for $45/each. Creating two 2-channel preamps out of them. Possibly with different output transformers per pair.
you get those from crooked sound? seems deals on those always come up when i'm wondering how in the hell i'm gonna pay rent in two weeks.
Yeah, sure did. Been wanting to do this for four years. Was going to buy two and my girlfriend talked me into buying all four. Which was the right thing to do!

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:46 am

lancebug wrote:4 Symetrix SX202's for $97 total (thats about $12 per channel). All 4 look brand new, but are going to need some deoxit for scratchy pots and switches. I suspect they have been sitting in a closet at the local university since the late 90's.
DANG!!! do the mods and you've got some good stuff for cheap!

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:48 am

ipressrecord wrote:
trodden wrote:
Yeah, sure did. Been wanting to do this for four years. Was going to buy two and my girlfriend talked me into buying all four. Which was the right thing to do!

Jeff
Awesome. You're girlfriend is awesome like mine. "i need to get my tape machine and console fixed.. but only have money to pay rent..." "i'll loan you some money to get your gear fixed.. then, you can start working again.."

smart girl.

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:13 pm

trodden wrote:
lancebug wrote:4 Symetrix SX202's for $97 total (thats about $12 per channel). All 4 look brand new, but are going to need some deoxit for scratchy pots and switches. I suspect they have been sitting in a closet at the local university since the late 90's.
Gotta be one of my all-time best scores. The best score was an old green Altec mic that the local thrift store was selling as a curling iron. I'm gonna start this evening with just cleaning the pots and switches with deoxit to see if I can defeat the scratchiness. Its funny, I haven't done much but the most rudimentary soldering and repair, but after reading so many different threads on the 202, lots of the components already look familiar. Looks like the board is spacious enough that even I might have a hard time screwing it up.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:17 pm

lancebug wrote:
trodden wrote:
Gotta be one of my all-time best scores. The best score was an old green Altec mic that the local thrift store was selling as a curling iron. I'm gonna start this evening with just cleaning the pots and switches with deoxit to see if I can defeat the scratchiness. Its funny, I haven't done much but the most rudimentary soldering and repair, but after reading so many different threads on the 202, lots of the components already look familiar. Looks like the board is spacious enough that even I might have a hard time screwing it up.
Yeah I had a friend (eeldip) do the mods for me while is stood by and drank beer. It seemed pretty simple though...

palinilap
buyin' gear

Post by palinilap » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:13 pm

BLA tweak head modded 002r. Since I purchased it already modded, I don't have the same point of reference that a lot of folks have, but it hands down beats the RME ADI-8 > M-Audio Lightbridge combo I was using. The D/A is far superior. Haven't use the A/D much yet, as I mainly use a Sparrow for overdubs. But surprisingly, I prefer the 002r clocked internally over clocked to the Sparrow. Can't wait to record some new songs from scratch with the 002r and get acquainted with the built-in pres a bit.

nick_a
buyin' gear

Post by nick_a » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:23 pm

Finally picked up what i consider to be my first piece of "boutique audio gear" - Wunder PEQ1R. I'm really excited.

nobody, really
takin' a dinner break

Post by nobody, really » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:33 pm

finally back in the analog game with a nice scully 1/4" 2 track machine. acquired a nos 4 track headstack for it as well. i love the smell of vintage electronics!

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:07 am

Another Alesis Micro Limiter