Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:23 pm

jgimbel wrote:Hey that looks sweet! I've got a Firestudio Tube and Firestudio Project (and LOVE them both), and they're already pretty compact units, but I was considering trying to have something more mobile. I never looked at that one. Bring the Mobile, handful of channels of preamps, mics and cords, and bam! Nice. Though I guess if I was using line ins and therefore bringing external pre's anyway it might be just as easy to bring one of the other two units. Regardless, that looks nice!
I have a pretty bare bones setup (1st generation MOTU 828, Audiophile 24/96 for MIDI, and Tascam TSR-8 for tracking) so this will probably be my main interface.

The mobile part is also a plus. I just got a refurb Lenovo laptop for business purposes, and I was thrilled to find out it has a cardbus slot that accepts my old school ADS PYRO 1394 card, which Presonus says is compatible.

I've been away from recording for a few years, so I'm pretty amazed at what you can get at such a low price point these days. I was thrilled to pay the same amount for a used 828 6 or 7 years ago, but now you can get a mobile unit with better pres and converters new. It appears to do everything my 828 does plus MIDI and S/PDIF.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:36 pm

EasyGo wrote:
jgimbel wrote:Hey that looks sweet! I've got a Firestudio Tube and Firestudio Project (and LOVE them both), and they're already pretty compact units, but I was considering trying to have something more mobile. I never looked at that one. Bring the Mobile, handful of channels of preamps, mics and cords, and bam! Nice. Though I guess if I was using line ins and therefore bringing external pre's anyway it might be just as easy to bring one of the other two units. Regardless, that looks nice!
I have a pretty bare bones setup (1st generation MOTU 828, Audiophile 24/96 for MIDI, and Tascam TSR-8 for tracking) so this will probably be my main interface.

The mobile part is also a plus. I just got a refurb Lenovo laptop for business purposes, and I was thrilled to find out it has a cardbus slot that accepts my old school ADS PYRO 1394 card, which Presonus says is compatible.

I've been away from recording for a few years, so I'm pretty amazed at what you can get at such a low price point these days. I was thrilled to pay the same amount for a used 828 6 or 7 years ago, but now you can get a mobile unit with better pres and converters new. It appears to do everything my 828 does plus MIDI and S/PDIF.
Amen. I actually really love the pre's on the Firestudio series units. For being onboard preamps they really can be a great choice. I use them as much as my custom API clones and other outboard pres, and they don't have trouble sitting in.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

route-electrique
gettin' sounds

Post by route-electrique » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:35 am

Avalon AD2055
♫ "Beware the handshake that hides the snake. Beware the pat on the back - it just might hold you back." ♫

iamthecosmos
pushin' record

Post by iamthecosmos » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:24 am

AKG 414 and finally a UA Solo 610!

Tim A
gettin' sounds

Post by Tim A » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:27 am

The MD21 is a fun little mic. It's not quite omni, if I remember right (an odd sort of polar pattern), was a common reporter/interviewer mic back in the day.

If you can, post a picture of the 420-2. You've piqued my curiosity!

Yeah! when i first saw the MD21 an early version of the MD421 or something popped to mind. but when I've been reading about it and it seems it might be more suited as a room mic rather than say a tom for example. Have you even used it in anything?

heres a picture of the 420-2 Image
its a pretty small mic, as i said i cant find much info on it. only that it has a frequency response of 400 - 10000. thats all i can figure out from a limited info sheet written in german.

the only throuble with these three mics. md21 x2 and the 420-2 is that ive only got one convertor for the cables

infiniteposse
alignin' 24-trk

Post by infiniteposse » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:31 am

Snagged an EV PL-20 off CL for $100. Sounds like it needs new foam (rattle rattle), so EV's sending that and a mic clip out for $25. As-is it sounds great. More proximity effect than my SM7. Big and sexy sounding. I've been jonesing for one ever since I saw Thom Yorke eating one in the "Live from the Basement" video.
Lee
www.mysterymachinestudio.com
??It doesn't matter if you can play a scale. It doesn't matter if your technique is good. If you have feelings that you want to get out through music, that's what matters.? Neil Young

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:54 pm

Image Image Image Image Image

My brand-new, black-on-black, maple fretboard, string-through USA Standard P-Bass.

:hearts:

infiniteposse
alignin' 24-trk

Post by infiniteposse » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:11 am

Yesterday I found a great older Atlas stand with weighted boom at a Pawn shop for $40. It tightens up like a vice and can eat these GC stands for lunch. It's solid I actually tossed my Peluso 2247LE on there and now I can finally have it on something low profile so it can get into tighter places. Nice stands make such a difference.
Lee
www.mysterymachinestudio.com
??It doesn't matter if you can play a scale. It doesn't matter if your technique is good. If you have feelings that you want to get out through music, that's what matters.? Neil Young

Gebo
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Gebo » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:02 pm

The past 5 or 6 months have been have been pretty great gear wise.

I got a pair of 414 b-uls's

Auratone monitors

2 EV 635's

A Cad E-200

I bought one of those $75.00 passive summing mixers on eBay. I paid the guy some extra and had him add a few mono inputs. I did my first mix with it today and I'm really really into it. It made using my outboard a lot easier, and things do seem to have a lot more depth. I don't know how to describe it, but things sound more "real".

The biggest though, is a new house. We are having a lot of work done (we did an FHA loan), so I won't be moved in for a few months. The full studio build will probably take me a few years, but I hope to be up and running in some capacity by late spring.
As it was in the begining, so shall it be in the end...

dickiefunk
takin' a dinner break

Post by dickiefunk » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:09 am

UA Solo 610
Presonus Eureka

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:05 am

Finally, a set of Heresy's. Net real ones, better ones.
Harumph!

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:00 am

EasyGo wrote:Just cracked open the box on my newly arrived Presonus Firestudio Mobile! Can't wait to plug it in and give it a test run ? early next week, unfortunately.
Just an update on the Firestudio Mobile. I'd been having problems with my old Keyspan PCI firewire card (TI chipset), and getting clicking and hanging issues. No matter what driver or buffer settings I dialed in, I couldn't get it to stop. Now I'm comparison shopping some of the cards that Presonus recommends for firewire to get my desktop rolling.

I also tried it out with a refurb Lenovo laptop that has a cardbus slot, so it can accept my old ADS Pyro DV 1394 card (also has a TI chipset). Unfortunately, the Pyro wouldn't power up the FS Mobile, so I had to wait until Presonus sent mine in the mail. Once I got the power supply plugged in, though, holy moley, that FS Mobile is rockin! It seems to like that Pyro card and is acting very stable so far using the ASIO driver. Physically, it seems solid, and the knobs feel like quality.

I'll have to put it through it's paces in an overdubbing situation before I can speak to latency etc.. But so far, at least, it sounds very good to me. Definitely an improvement over my MOTU 828 in terms of playback quality and added detail. I can tell a difference in the tracks I've recorded on the MOTU, sounding more detailed but still smooth. Recording seems fine so far, at least no buffering/playback issues so far.

After a couple weeks of screwing around trying to get the FS Mobile to work on my desktop, I'm so excited to finally have it running, even if it's on the laptop. Can't wait to get it rolling on my desktop!

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:50 am

Urei 535 Little Dipper filter set & two Urei 539 graphic EQs.

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:20 pm

tonight i went to get a few things i needed for some projects i'm working on, the folks at the music store seemed baffled for some reason when i kept saying "oh i need to get this such and such from this other department":

some moongel
a video tripod thread to mic stand adapter
an extra big stereo mic bar
a 3/4 violin bow and dark rosin
a keyboard expression pedal
and a new ortofon stylus
the tape is rolling, the ones and zeros are... um... ones and zeroing.
http://www.davewatkinsmusic.com

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:15 am

Been looking for a Les Paul Standard that really got me going for a long time. I sold some stuff to get this '06 R-8 Chambered VOS Les Paul. It's very light (7.4 pounds) and I'm really digging it.

Got it from Mark's Guitar Loft in NH. first time I bought a guitar long distance. Mark was great to deal with.