Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon May 09, 2011 10:28 am

shedshrine wrote:Image
flea market plunder: old school Realistic 2 ways (hey, these sound good for what they are, fun to run stuff through $10)Empress ParaEQ
I have a few pairs of those realistics. They're pretty decent for what they are. I use one sitting on top of my mono Auratone. I'll start a mix in mono on the auratone and then when it's sounding decent I'll add the realistic in parralel. It extends the lows and highs that the auratone lacks. Once stuff sounds decent on those two I switch to my mains in stereo.
I guess this is further proof that no matter how much I bitch about Daniel Lanois (see the Soul Mining thread) he still has lots to teach. The Auratone/Realistic combo is apparently what he used to mix Peter Gabriel's So.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon May 09, 2011 10:31 am

Makes sense. they were from a studio. I feel so validated :D

When I got to the guy selling the speakers, He had just sold a pair of Kepex (limiters?), and another guy walked off with two huge plastic bins of nice quality snakes for $50.

Qlevel
audio school graduate

Post by Qlevel » Mon May 16, 2011 9:21 am

- Modded '87 Tele with Little '59 pickups ($450)

- Simmons SDS-8 w/pads ($80)

- Behringer PowerPlay Pro-XL headphone amp ($50)

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon May 16, 2011 9:59 am

shedshrine wrote:When I got to the guy selling the speakers, He had just sold a pair of Kepex (limiters?)
Gates

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon May 16, 2011 10:22 am

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:[I guess this is further proof that no matter how much I bitch about Daniel Lanois (see the Soul Mining thread) he still has lots to teach. The Auratone/Realistic combo is apparently what he used to mix Peter Gabriel's So.
Read it this last weekend. Dug it. Thanks for the reference David.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon May 16, 2011 12:14 pm

A bunch of stuff over the past year, but I am most happy and excited about this:

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/pioneer_re ... er_sr.html

Pioneer Spring Reverb. Big spring, lots of verb, plenty of "sproing," cool "magic eye" display thingy...

GJ

uncle bastard
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by uncle bastard » Tue May 17, 2011 2:20 pm

I just bought a 1935 Hohner Organetta IV accordion. I think it may need a service, because many of the buttons release sounds not of this world and the bass is a bit farty, but for a 74 year old instrument which has definitely seen a lot of use it's in usable shape, pretty good for ?40 including a hard case.
"Dude, whatdya think of this?" (Smacks guitar with a rubber chicken)"

ofajen
pushin' record

Post by ofajen » Tue May 17, 2011 9:21 pm

AT8471 stand clamp for AT 4050. Now I don't have to abuse the EV 311 clamp designed for 19mm mikes with the 21mm barrel of the 4050. And it's way less trouble than the standard shockmount for the 4050.

Oh, yeah, we just bought a new 3-octave xylophone for my older son, who is starting band soon, as a percussionist.

Cheers,

Otto
Daddy-O Daddy-O Baby

kickoldman
alignin' 24-trk

Post by kickoldman » Wed May 18, 2011 10:50 am

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
shedshrine wrote:Image
flea market plunder: old school Realistic 2 ways (hey, these sound good for what they are, fun to run stuff through $10)Empress ParaEQ
I have a few pairs of those realistics. They're pretty decent for what they are. I use one sitting on top of my mono Auratone. I'll start a mix in mono on the auratone and then when it's sounding decent I'll add the realistic in parralel. It extends the lows and highs that the auratone lacks. Once stuff sounds decent on those two I switch to my mains in stereo.
I guess this is further proof that no matter how much I bitch about Daniel Lanois (see the Soul Mining thread) he still has lots to teach. The Auratone/Realistic combo is apparently what he used to mix Peter Gabriel's So.
Wow, never knew Lanois used the minimus 7's. They are my go-to nearfields in my home studio. I need to add a sub eventually, but I think they do a good job of estimating how things are going to sound on computer speakers and TV's, that kinda thing.

I have a second pair that I want to add a real crossover to, like so:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showth ... ost3671070

For $30 in parts it seems worth trying. Of course that's twice what I paid for them, heh.

kickoldman
alignin' 24-trk

Post by kickoldman » Wed May 18, 2011 10:55 am

Also, just purchased a pair of Peluso CEMC6 SDC's with the cardioid caps. I've been using (and loving) a pair of Naiant MSH-1's for my stereo needs, but I've finally lost one and wrecked the other. I've only done a fast test of the Peluso's on acoustic guitar through my MOTU 828MKII preamps, but it was pretty startling. VERY nice. So this is why people pay over a hundred for mics huh?

The bonus is I'll be using these with the hyper-cardioid caps for indoor booming on video work.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Wed May 18, 2011 3:23 pm

Finally picked up the first step in getting some new monitoring options....
and Adcom gfa535. It's the earlier model with the a/b selector. Planning on adding a pair of JBL L15's or KLH model 17's for the speakers, something to contrast the active KRK's I have now. Also going to get some cheapo ratshack speakers for another flavor.

yep.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed May 18, 2011 10:04 pm

I got an Aphex 651 that I'm digging so far.

woodhenge
pushin' record
Location: Hangin' with Jake and Elwood @Bob's Country Bunker, Indiana

Post by woodhenge » Fri May 20, 2011 5:32 am

Just got one of the Rycote InVision Studio Kit universal shockmount/pop filters to replace my thrashed old Neumann one.
All I can say is "WOW!" I never thought I'd be excited over something as simple as a shockmount, but this thing is awesome!
insert witty comment here...

inasilentway
gettin' sounds

Post by inasilentway » Wed May 25, 2011 12:38 pm

Gregg Juke wrote:A bunch of stuff over the past year, but I am most happy and excited about this:

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/pioneer_re ... er_sr.html

Pioneer Spring Reverb. Big spring, lots of verb, plenty of "sproing," cool "magic eye" display thingy...

GJ
try using it for its original purpose; hook it up to your stereo. vinyl through that thing is such a trip. space the place...
"some kinds of love, the possibilities are endless"

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu May 26, 2011 5:54 am

>>>>use with the stereo...<<<<

Well, it's on top of rack one in the studio, but we have a turntable in there too, so I guess I could use it either way... I ran the little yellow Korg Kaossilator through it the other day, straight to a PA just to test it out.

Brilliant!

GJ