Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Int'l Feel
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Int'l Feel » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:45 pm

Just jumped into the world of OTB, so I've got a big list:

Teac 80-8...almost done getting it ready to put it through its paces!
Soundcraft 200B...bought off of TOMBer gasface villain!
Echo AudioFire 8...moving away from plug-and-play recording with my Duet, though I think I'll keep it around for mixing down to the computer from the Teac.

Haolemon
audio school graduate

Post by Haolemon » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:21 am

Just bought a UA 6176, and am waiting for the "free" UAD quad card.

Haolemon
audio school graduate

Post by Haolemon » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:22 am

Just bought a UA 6176, and am waiting for the "free" UAD quad card.

Limonius
audio school

Post by Limonius » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:15 pm

Dave Smith Mopho keyboard

It gives me the feeling I had when I bought my first electric guitar about 20 years ago.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:00 am

I just picked-up a little working lav mike at an estate sale yesterday for $2.
"Little" for the time; it's probably from the 60's or 70's, is about the size of a quarter, and looks like it might be ceramic. It works though; passed signal to my video camera.

I wish I had the money and the room at the studio-- they had an Ibanez guitar, a trombone, and a Baldwin spinet in great shape that I could have gotten for $400.

GJ

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:45 pm

I got a MCA SP-1 for $25 on Craigslist, guy even through in a table top stand and XLR cable. Once I have some extra bread I'll send it to Jim Williams to get upgraded. Hopefully it will be a nice utility microphone for stuff like toms.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:43 pm

Recently picked up both a clean SM58 and a nearly mint ATM250 for very nice prices on Craigslist. Looking forward to hearing the 250 on bass amp duties. And I don't feel one can EVER have enough Shure dynamic mics in their collection.

Jettison
gettin' sounds

Post by Jettison » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:42 am

Just got my SSL Alpha Link back from Black Lion Audio. Mine was the very first upgrade/mod of this converter set. I'm quite happy with it and BLA.
Just got a Universal Audio 7-410D. Nice. And a royer R101. And a Manley VoxBox. And a pair of 4038s. And a Peluso P12. And a China guitarjo.
Guess I haven't posted here in a while.
You traded the Cadillac for a microphone?

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:18 am

Just got an RE20 back from being repaired, after buying it in a not-so-functional state from Craigslist a year ago for $75 (so I've never used it). I've now got the big three - SM7b, MD421 (x2), and now the RE20. Very much looking forward to doing some shootouts and hearing their strengths. Also planning on doing demo/shootouts for my Youtube channel with them on kick drum, toms, bass cab, vocals, and maybe guitar cab.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:55 pm

jgimbel wrote:Just got an RE20 back from being repaired, after buying it in a not-so-functional state from Craigslist a year ago for $75 (so I've never used it). I've now got the big three - SM7b, MD421 (x2), and now the RE20.
Whoa. Total jealousy. I'm a dynamic mic enthusiast with an emphasis on broadcast mics.

I picked up an RE320 recently after hearing some samples online. It struck me as a mic that would be equally at home on vocals and kick drum (and everything else, really). Soon after, I had the chance to buy both an RE20 and RE27 from a studio going out of business for a nice price. After comparing them all side by side, I actually preferred the brighter sound of the 320 and 27 over the RE20, even though the RE20 is obviously amazing. The RE27 in particular struck me as 'God's Vocal Mic.' Being short on cash and knowing I could only keep one, I put the RE20 and and RE27 on eBay, knowing they'd fetch a better price that than the lower priced RE320. I secretly hoped the RE27 wouldn't sell, and that I could keep it, but alas, it did sell. Glad I was able to keep the 320, but still hunting for a reasonably priced (read: dirt effing cheap) 421 or SM7, but I doubt it's gonna happen anytime soon.

Anyway, congrats on the refurbed RE20 and on getting the big 3 broadcast mics in your collection.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:45 pm

EasyGo wrote:
jgimbel wrote:Just got an RE20 back from being repaired, after buying it in a not-so-functional state from Craigslist a year ago for $75 (so I've never used it). I've now got the big three - SM7b, MD421 (x2), and now the RE20.
Whoa. Total jealousy. I'm a dynamic mic enthusiast with an emphasis on broadcast mics.

I picked up an RE320 recently after hearing some samples online. It struck me as a mic that would be equally at home on vocals and kick drum (and everything else, really). Soon after, I had the chance to buy both an RE20 and RE27 from a studio going out of business for a nice price. After comparing them all side by side, I actually preferred the brighter sound of the 320 and 27 over the RE20, even though the RE20 is obviously amazing. The RE27 in particular struck me as 'God's Vocal Mic.' Being short on cash and knowing I could only keep one, I put the RE20 and and RE27 on eBay, knowing they'd fetch a better price that than the lower priced RE320. I secretly hoped the RE27 wouldn't sell, and that I could keep it, but alas, it did sell. Glad I was able to keep the 320, but still hunting for a reasonably priced (read: dirt effing cheap) 421 or SM7, but I doubt it's gonna happen anytime soon.

Anyway, congrats on the refurbed RE20 and on getting the big 3 broadcast mics in your collection.
Thanks! Hey hey don't tell me about more great dynamics, I need to have my eyes closed to more right now, haha. Yeah, I searched for an SM7b for a long, long time. It seems like no one EVER sells those things! I've literally seen maybe one or two used ones in the past year, and they'll be like $20 cheaper than new. But I'd happily pay more than the street price for them. One of the few mics that I've used in literally everything - vocals, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, bass, overhead, toms, kick (it's my standard for kick with my own music, indie rock kind of stuff).

The 421s on the other hand, I posted ads on Craigslist looking for one and searched. I got both mine off Craigslist from different people, each for $225. Guitar Center, devils they may be, have GREAT prices on used gear on their used site, and you can get 421s all day for like $250. I was looking to pay $200 for mine, but $225 didn't break my back for each. Ended up having long conversations with the two guys I ended up buying from, one of whom I'm decent friends with now, great guy, great musician. I'm still looking for a third, but not actively since I have other things I need to spend money on! Anyway awesome to hear your thoughts on the 320, I'm going to have to check that out now. Thanks a lot jerk!
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Post by bannerj » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:52 pm

Aurora 8 to go AES into our LIO 8. Just ordered a matched set of the Peluso sdc w/ the omni caps. Trying to decide on another set of sdcs and whether to go with the API 3124 or if I should start into this 500 series madness.

palinilap
buyin' gear

Post by palinilap » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:36 pm

jgimbel wrote:
EasyGo wrote:

Thanks! Hey hey don't tell me about more great dynamics, I need to have my eyes closed to more right now, haha. Yeah, I searched for an SM7b for a long, long time. It seems like no one EVER sells those things! I've literally seen maybe one or two used ones in the past year, and they'll be like $20 cheaper than new. But I'd happily pay more than the street price for them. One of the few mics that I've used in literally everything - vocals, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, bass, overhead, toms, kick (it's my standard for kick with my own music, indie rock kind of stuff).

The 421s on the other hand, I posted ads on Craigslist looking for one and searched. I got both mine off Craigslist from different people, each for $225. Guitar Center, devils they may be, have GREAT prices on used gear on their used site, and you can get 421s all day for like $250. I was looking to pay $200 for mine, but $225 didn't break my back for each. Ended up having long conversations with the two guys I ended up buying from, one of whom I'm decent friends with now, great guy, great musician. I'm still looking for a third, but not actively since I have other things I need to spend money on! Anyway awesome to hear your thoughts on the 320, I'm going to have to check that out now. Thanks a lot jerk!
+1 on GC being evil yet having crazy deals on used gear. There's a Beyer M260 on their site for $180 right now. Not sure I trust their ability to test a ribbon mic for functionality and sag though.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:47 pm

getting all my gear for my first studio. you can tell it's on the cheap, but it should still be great

tascam 388
otari mx5050 bii mixdown 2 track
2 dbx 128 compressors
realistic 31-1987 eq
orban 111b spring reverb
hohner pianet t electric piano
akai ax-60 analog poly synth
roland cr-8000 rhythm machine

here we go!!

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:31 am

FINALLY tracked down a pair of JBL 4408A monitors on eBay. Just need to rework them myself, or send them off to Jim Williams.

Now I need to get an Adcom GFA-545 (and send it off to Jim), some good speaker cable (probably Kimber 8TC) and interconnects to go from my Lavry DA-11 to the Adcom (probably Kimber PBJ). I'll probably spend more on the cabling than I did the speaker, but I want to hear this stuff for myself! Jim's made me a believer with his upgrades to 414's, 460's, Aphex's, and DBX 160XTs, so I'll take his word as gospel with speakers as well.

Oh, and I'm in the process of buying a house. Hopefully that piece of gear works out.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion