Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ofajen
pushin' record

Post by ofajen » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:20 pm

Feedback wrote:I also scored an old MCI 5050mkIII 1/4 inch deck that needs some serious work on the mechanicals. I am not even sure it is worth it in todys digital realm.
Personally, I wouldn't even give an MX-5050 machine for today's "digital realm." Much less an M-23.

Cheers,

Otto
Daddy-O Daddy-O Baby

ofajen
pushin' record

Post by ofajen » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:48 pm

Brett Siler wrote:
ofajen wrote: This week I picked up yet another Korg PME 40X board with three modules I didn't already have: the relatively uncommon Octave V, along with the Digital Delay and Distortion:

Cheers,

Otto
I always wondered what one of these sounded like. They look cool.
They sound about as good as anything that messes with the sound, IMO. The PSU and switching is all in the base unit, and the power supply is 15V. The modules slide in and out and just contain the active circuitry. The input impedance of the base unit is 1 megohm, so you don't load your instrument signal down. I"ve used them for decades on everything from synths to Stick to bass and guitar. Now that I'm using an Otari 8-track on the "low" level setting, I can run signals directly from these boards into the tape inputs or process tracks directly off the machine at mix time. I suppose it's my analog equivalent to plug-ins.

The Octave V is interesting in that it has divide by 4, 3, 2, 1 and .5, and each one has both volume and distortion controls.

The Dist(ortion) Wah is really insane. The filter sweep can go up or down, starting about anywhere, with a controls for sensitivity, resonance and distortion and it has modes for LPF, HPF, bandpass and BP + lows.

The Compressor is amazing in that it is simple to use, and has proper set up so that guitar and similar instruments can have moderate to ridiculous sustain while still having decent control over the amount of attack.

The Analog Delay is good and I'm really liking this Digital Delay.

The Graphic EQ is really good, too.

The Flanger has positive and negative feedback and creates some really cool sounds.

I'm just getting to know the Distortion box and it's really cool. The tone control doesn't just seem to be a simple low pass filter. All the way up it seems to keep the highs but kill the lows, while sweeping down brings back the lows and rolls off highs. Hard to describe, but it offers a lot more range of tone than I expected.

The Overdrive has a delicious crunch, especially once it goes through the amp. The tone seems to be more or less a LPF, so the range of tones is mainly from the drive setting and how you play.

I kinda wish they'd made a tremolo module, but hey, that's what the Traynor's for.

Cheers,

Otto
Daddy-O Daddy-O Baby

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:55 am

The desk, not the Mixer. :-)
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:52 pm

I swear... every time I open my mouth to say I don't use analog, this happens:

1/4" TEAC 4300, bought form someone here, Otari MX5050, from a producer friend, and a Stanton T.92 USB turntable, and a Blue M Single Wall Transite Oven. That one is exciting! I can fit a 2" reel into it for baking. I'll have to find a manual for this oven first though...

Tomorrow I am looking at a MCI JH-24 close to home, to see if we buy it for :

"The Mother of all Transfer Jobs"

Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:37 pm

Damn Nick, that's a serious dehydrator there.

For the record, TapeOp has absolutely nothing to do with my purchase decisions.
Not one iota.
Didn't even see the threads.
Just Sarah and Dippity.

*tosses seldom used adequate food dehydrator and begins search for REAL tape baking oven..

Zacharia Matilda
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Zacharia Matilda » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:15 am

Beyerdymanic tgx-50. Do not have it yet...it's on the truck today!

My bottom end needs help. Hopefully this will get me heading in the right direction.
dehumidified

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:18 am

Zacharia Matilda wrote:Beyerdymanic tgx-50. Do not have it yet...it's on the truck today!

My bottom end needs help. Hopefully this will get me heading in the right direction.
Beyerdymanic.

That should be the word of the day for today.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

I've got a new ax

Post by alexdingley » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:16 pm

Hey all,

Mostly, my gear acquisitions are in rackable form... or Audio-Unit format... but this one's too good not to talk about: '76 Fender Thinline Tele.

I've posted a bunch of pics here on my site, as well as a blog post explaining a little of the history.

She's gorgeous, and sounds amazing. My next project is to find out if all the parts are original or not. Also, a slight tune-up and neck adjustment. the neck seems to slightly tilt toward one side and the high E string doesn't rest properly on the frets above fret 14... but hey, she's 35... so I'll give her a break.

Here's a glimpse:

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:56 pm

*knocks the dust off*

Audio Technica Pro 25 for $15 off eBay.

been absent from music, recording, and this forum for a few years now... but my girlfriend wants to record some stuff this fall so I'm slowly dipping back in.

howdy, old friends!
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

Chris_Avakian
steve albini likes it

Post by Chris_Avakian » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:56 am

just picked up a shure pe588 from a friend. not sure what to use it for just yet outside of an extra vocal mic at practice, but im going to start playing around with it soon. also this old altstatic dynamic, looks like its from an old schools public address system, or something. got a crazy, gritty, jangly hi mid sound on guitars. good for that real ratty, no low end guitar sound. fun, but about 90% useless. i like it.

Cyan421
takin' a dinner break

Post by Cyan421 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:38 am

Mackie 1604 cr for $179 used from guitar center

Just starting out with my own stuff.
"What a wonerful smell you've discovered"

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:21 am

Cyan421 wrote:Mackie 1604 cr for $179 used from guitar center

Just starting out with my own stuff.
Mackie 1604 and an adat in a vertical rack back in the mid 90's. Made a little room within room while in Japan. Worked great. Enjoy.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:58 pm

Match pair of Speck ASC EQs and a RNC & another TC effects .. set till we venture over to Reaper in 2015 ~!
whatever happened to ~ just push record......

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:43 pm

Another Shure dynamic mic oddity, a model 589S Unidyne C.

http://www.shure.com/idc/groups/public/ ... 89s_ug.pdf

Looks like some folks online like em on guitar amps.

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

Post by TV Lenny » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:43 pm

Awhile ago I got a 60's Ampeg B15N although it needed a little work. I finally got around to having my go-to amp guy fix her up. I believe it will be ready in a week or so. I can't wait! I have never actually heard this amp, or a B15 in person before.

Tom
White Oak Guitars - Fine boutique handmade guitar & bass pickups