Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri May 04, 2012 3:15 pm

Mang! I had one of those until a cuppla years ago - I also restored it but gave it back to the guy I got it from (who said it came from a RS concert at Soldier Field in the 70's but ...).

Anywhat, I'm playing more keys now - I'd kill to have that back; congrats!

I got a cuppla mic stands (desktop so I can leave MD and SM mic's and some shock mounts screwed on) and a little AKG D58 I'm gonna try on snare bottom.

bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Fri May 04, 2012 8:20 pm

jgimbel wrote: Surprisingly nice!....
Cool to know. Those little micro VR-Stacks look cool too. Don't know if they sound worth a shit but they sure are pleasing to they eye.
I have a solid state Ampeg B2-R that sounds really good. I had a session where the bassist was using a SVT and it craped out mid session and we used the Amped B2-R and we got the tones to match really well.
With all the low cost low watt tube guitar heads out there you'd think they'd make a few for bass...

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Fri May 04, 2012 8:22 pm

A Mackie 1402-VLZ3 for ten bucks. Some of the channel are a little staticy but otherwise fine. I figured for ten bucks why not?

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Fri May 04, 2012 10:28 pm

Brett Siler wrote:
jgimbel wrote: Surprisingly nice!....
Cool to know. Those little micro VR-Stacks look cool too. Don't know if they sound worth a shit but they sure are pleasing to they eye.
I have a solid state Ampeg B2-R that sounds really good. I had a session where the bassist was using a SVT and it craped out mid session and we used the Amped B2-R and we got the tones to match really well.
With all the low cost low watt tube guitar heads out there you'd think they'd make a few for bass...
Yeah it took me a while to decide between the micro VR and the Portaflex, the VR is a surprisingly nice amp too. I just decided I wanted to get something a little less "micro" because I'm thinking about starting to get back into writing music again and it's possible I'll have to supply a bass amp for a bass player. The Portaflex is gorgeous too, which doesn't hurt. I certainly wouldn't mind a micro VR though, but I'm pretty happy so far.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

Int'l Feel
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Int'l Feel » Mon May 07, 2012 7:52 am

Jazz Chorus. Traded some odds and ends via craigslist. Time to get that Steely Dan songbook out.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Mon May 07, 2012 8:38 am

API 3124

HeavyHand
takin' a dinner break

Post by HeavyHand » Mon May 07, 2012 1:44 pm

just scored a EV 654a for free! so pumped! my first omni.
Ok, who brought the dog? - Louis Tully
www.facebook.com/BigTerribleMusic

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon May 07, 2012 3:00 pm

You'll love it! I actually just got a PL8 for cheap, what is supposed to be the same thing.

I wanna try 'em as OH's, as I think mebbe J.Gimbel suggested ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Mon May 07, 2012 3:16 pm

Picked up a Musicman SUB bass for $280 on craigslist.
Luckily I scored a black one (I'm not a fan of the other two colors) and it's in mint condition aside from a slightly dried out fretboard.
Unfortunately it isn't one of the passive models.
Ended up working through the weekend so I haven't had time to change the strings or do a setup, but so far its straight and the electrics all work.
Last edited by calaverasgrandes on Wed May 09, 2012 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon May 07, 2012 6:17 pm

Sweet. And glad I'm not the only one who prefers passive elec's ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Wed May 09, 2012 12:56 pm

vvv wrote:Sweet. And glad I'm not the only one who prefers passive elec's ...
Actually I own 3 active Musicman basses already. I was hoping it was passive (the ad said it was). I wanted to see if a passive Musicman sounded better with overdrive/fuzz.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Wed May 09, 2012 3:39 pm

Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Wed May 09, 2012 3:43 pm

calaverasgrandes wrote:
Actually I own 3 active Musicman basses already. I was hoping it was passive (the ad said it was). I wanted to see if a passive Musicman sounded better with overdrive/fuzz.
It can't be impossible to pacify one, can it?
Carl Keil

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Wed May 09, 2012 3:58 pm

Snarl 12/8 wrote:
calaverasgrandes wrote:
It can't be impossible to pacify one, can it?
Of course not, but then that would be modifying an instrument from stock. Most of my guitars are unique or at least not common. So I am kinda hesitant to eff with them. I also really hate when I come across a vintage instrument that has been rednecked into something awful.
You know, like the killer 70's Tele with a floyd rose routed in there. Or the 68 jazz bass with EMG pickups.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Wed May 09, 2012 4:29 pm

calaverasgrandes wrote: Of course not, but then that would be modifying an instrument from stock. Most of my guitars are unique or at least not common. So I am kinda hesitant to eff with them. I also really hate when I come across a vintage instrument that has been rednecked into something awful.
You know, like the killer 70's Tele with a floyd rose routed in there. Or the 68 jazz bass with EMG pickups.
I hear you on all that. There's something to be said for keeping things stock, but there's also something to be said for customizing your tools to fit either the job or your work style. If that aesthetic (or keeping the resale value) is very important to you then keep at it. Otherwise, maybe you pick one to be your "player" and hot rod the fuck out of it. Who knows, if you go to sell it maybe someone will appreciate the changes you've made, especially if you do them with some reverence for the provenance of the instrument. I'm also the king of reversible mods. I hate to commit to fucking something up irrepairably, like you're saying. (Probably to the detriment of my music making.) So I take great pains to make stuff fit, etc., in a way where it would leave no footprints to backtrack away from the mod.
Carl Keil