Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Mixwell
pluggin' in mics

new stuff, yummy

Post by Mixwell » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:51 am

I recently grabbed a unmarked custom Keller maple snare, with minty fresh ludwig hardware, without a marking on it....it is beautiful sounding.

Also procured a 50's Oahu Tonemaster small combo tube amp [9 Watts] and spent some dough fixin her up. Rock and Roll. Then I went and bought some new 500 series modules, a Purple ODD and a Lee Jackson Mr. SPRINGGY spring reverb emulator.

Then, Then, Then.....It never ends!!!!
Adam J. Brass
www.DSPdoctor.com
Pro Audio Dealer
adam@dspdoctor.com
(1) 866 988 9111

"Where High End is Still King"

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:00 am

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:1981 Fender Bullet deluxe. It's a magnificent piece of crap.
Mine's just like this but with a rosewood fretboard and more dirt and damage.

Sweet score! I've got a couple of these, although they're the ones with the strat-style body. They actually led me to a modified Fender Lead II which I adore... to the point where I'm considering unloading at least one of the Bullets.
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:17 am

Judas Jetski wrote:
A.David.MacKinnon wrote:1981 Fender Bullet deluxe. It's a magnificent piece of crap.
Mine's just like this but with a rosewood fretboard and more dirt and damage.

Sweet score! I've got a couple of these, although they're the ones with the strat-style body. They actually led me to a modified Fender Lead II which I adore... to the point where I'm considering unloading at least one of the Bullets.
yeah, I've never been a big fender fan but I'm a huge fan of weird/crappy/cheap guitars and the spare parts aesthetic of the early Bullets really appeals to me. Plus the neck on this one is actually really, really great. It's almost too nice to be considered an oddball.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:21 pm

Telefunken TD 20, just because it looks so cool.

bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:49 pm

UAD Duo

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:30 pm

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:yeah, I've never been a big fender fan but I'm a huge fan of weird/crappy/cheap guitars and the spare parts aesthetic of the early Bullets really appeals to me. Plus the neck on this one is actually really, really great. It's almost too nice to be considered an oddball.
I heard somewhere that the necks for these things were leftover B-stock tele necks from the 60s that turned up in a warehouse somewhere. I've never been able to verify this story, but given the high quality and general weirdness of every Bullet neck I've ever played, I really have to wonder if this isn't true.

Does yours have the string-through body?
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:37 pm

Judas Jetski wrote:
A.David.MacKinnon wrote:yeah, I've never been a big fender fan but I'm a huge fan of weird/crappy/cheap guitars and the spare parts aesthetic of the early Bullets really appeals to me. Plus the neck on this one is actually really, really great. It's almost too nice to be considered an oddball.
I heard somewhere that the necks for these things were leftover B-stock tele necks from the 60s that turned up in a warehouse somewhere. I've never been able to verify this story, but given the high quality and general weirdness of every Bullet neck I've ever played, I really have to wonder if this isn't true.

Does yours have the string-through body?
I've heard that too (as well as rumours that they're 70's Tele necks). No idea about the truth or fiction of the rumours but the first batch of Bullets really do seem like they're more about getting rid of spare parts than making a new line of guitars. Fine by me.
Oh, and yes, mine is a string thru body design.

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:54 pm

Sweet

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:31 pm

UAD Emt bundle and Studer A800 plugs :^:

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:17 pm

Oktava MK-319

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:30 pm

I been really loving omni's lately on room and vocals and so when I see a cheap one, I go for it.

Picked up a AT802 (US$29 shipped) what I can't find any info on but it seems pretty cool - can't wait to use it.

Also gotta Radio Shack/Shure 1070D (US$33 shipped - I gotta stop bidding & drinking) and I gotta say, this mic stinks.

I mean it sounds pretty good, just smells like it's been dipped in nicotine.

Any idears out there to deoderize it?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:02 pm

I thought I bought a lot of mics :)

I'd just let that mic air out a bit. Is there a removable ball end/pop filter/etc? Seriously, I bought a Shure 589s mic from a guy living in a transient hotel at a very low price. When I got home, I noticed the same thing, that mic stunk in a serious way. Mostly cigarette smoke, probably mixed with old man stink. I'm happy to say it aired out nicely. Still not planning to use it for vocals though.

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:11 pm

Today I located a Gibson Hawk guitar amp from about 1967. Has a 10" speaker and footswitchable tremolo and spring reverb (which rocks). Four 12AX7s and two RCA 6BQ5s (same as EL84s). Very nice forward clean tones with balls and bite. Not very loud at all, but given that I record at home with kids sleeping, that's a big plus. This one's staying in the fleet.

I put a Boss DS-1 in front of it, and it pretty much shit the bed. Looking forward to trying it out with my Fulltone Fulldrive 2 for a more natural overdrive.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:41 am

Re that stinky mic, yep, hazza ball-end I took off and soaked overnight in dish soap and water. I baby-wiped the case and cord and mic body and that helped a lot.

It had been so bad that when I had left the room leaving the mic and stuff on the floor and came back a hour later, the room stunk like Dean Martin's cummerbund.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:56 am

Just ordered a 2" 16 track headstack from Chris Mara, for my 2" MCI JH-24 tape machine.

"Analog Awesomeness"

Cheers

Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.