Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:42 pm

kslight wrote:
Smitty wrote:
kslight wrote:A set of these to be installed in my Schecter Hellcat VI...

Whoa. Never seen those before and just looked them up. Super neat looking. How do they sound?

Not sure...they are at my tech's right now along with the guitar. Supposedly they are full frequency and neutral, more like an active pickup than a traditional. Which is what I'm hoping for, the existing pickups in this guitar (minihumbuckers) are very muddy, and not really detailed in any useful frequency (they seem to be lacking in bass definition, but muddy in the low-mids, and a bit trashy in the high-end). The guitar they are going in is more of a bass than a guitar really, so being full frequency I think would make a lot of sense.
Picked it up from my tech Friday... Sounds fantastic. Night and day from the original pickups, so much clearer. What I previously had customized an overdrive pedal to achieve for me tone-wise (more articulation/less mud) I get straight out of the guitar. Very happy. A bit on the spendy side, but the difference is very obvious and very worthwhile.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:41 pm

bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:57 am

A Tascam Mx2424, with remote and all cabling, and ADAT digital IO along with the analog IO as well.

Under 1K, so pretty decent deal.

Now, I have to dig out my old G4 laptop to be able to run the MXViewNet software so I can "see waveforms"... sic.

Also, UAD Lexicon 224 Reverb. Damn it is so good. I did use the original a long time ago, this brought me right back to that time.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:32 pm

vvv wrote:
Brett Siler wrote:A pair of Cad m179's
Not at all "colorful", so flexible, and solid in the mix; love mine and I bet you'll yours.
I hear nothing but good things about the mics and the are so inexpensive. The two reasons I bought them is for 1) more options for sources like acoustic guitar. 2) Building the "ultimate drum mic set up" :D

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Copy That on the 224 8)

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:00 pm

Moog 1125 and 1150 controllers (and a footswitch!) in a trade..

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:07 pm

22" Paiste Alpha Rock Ride. Not usually about thicker cymbals but I got a good deal on it.
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:02 pm

A solder fume extractor. The fumes seem to irritate my eyes & nose, and the crappy extractor I put together with a fan and some cardboard doesn't work so well...

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:08 pm

Two Boss pedals

1) Another Boss HM-2. I saw it on Craigslist for $35 and thought why not? These things rule and if my other dies I have another available now.

2) Boss DS-1 Keeley Seeing Eye/Ultra mod. Wow! I am super impressed with thie pedal! I got it pretty cheap on ebay. They both have a lot of clairity to them even when the distortion is cranked up. When switched on "Ultra" mod there is a lot of bass! It would be great for Doom metal. Seeing eye is great for leads when cranked, both are sound good for rhythm. When distortion is turned down it cleans up well and is reacts well to dynamics. Overall the pedal has a pretty cool sounding Marshall JCM800ish vibe to it. Hard to get a bad tone with it.

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:14 pm

New MJE-K47H Capsule Head for Oktava MK-012... a stereo pair Wheeeeee!

A EH memory boy

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:59 pm

Brett Siler wrote:1) Another Boss HM-2. I saw it on Craigslist for $35 and thought why not? These things rule and if my other dies I have another available now.
Whoa, really? Explain if you would. I've had one for years and all it's done in a long time is collect dust.
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:07 pm

This right here will explain more than any words I could type.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95Gm3r4Gsfo

Granted they layered the guitars a few times, but that is essential what it sounds like. Tubby, heavy, somewhere in between distortion and fuzz. Great for chunky riffs, or shoegaze stuff. Not so good if you are going for fast articulate riffs. Cult following made by Entombed, My Bloody Valentine, Rotten Sound, Kurt Ballou (fun trivia fact, I almost picked one up from him but I was a day late, someone already snatched it).

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:34 pm

Brett Siler wrote:This right here will explain more than any words I could type.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95Gm3r4Gsfo

Granted they layered the guitars a few times, but that is essential what it sounds like. Tubby, heavy, somewhere in between distortion and fuzz. Great for chunky riffs, or shoegaze stuff. Not so good if you are going for fast articulate riffs. Cult following made by Entombed, My Bloody Valentine, Rotten Sound, Kurt Ballou (fun trivia fact, I almost picked one up from him but I was a day late, someone already snatched it).
Eloquent, thank you! And my, aren't they bringing a pretty penny on eBay? Yeesh. I never even bothered looking it up when I sold some pedals a while back.

Looks like I'll hold onto it after all...

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:43 pm

No problem! I love heavy sounds if you can't tell. :D They are actually still pretty cheap on eBay. Like $50-$75, but $35 is a great deal for them!

edit: whoa shit! Those prices jumped up like twice as much this year! Damn. I'd still spend $100 on it. I guess thats how it goes on the interweb. All it takes is one reprutable person to say its cool and it takes off. Watch in a year they will be like $200 or $300 . :roll:

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:53 pm

Brett Siler wrote:No problem! I love heavy sounds if you can't tell. :D They are actually still pretty cheap on eBay. Like $50-$75, but $35 is a great deal for them!

edit: whoa shit! Those prices jumped up like twice as much this year! Damn. I'd still spend $100 on it. I guess thats how it goes on the interweb. All it takes is one reprutable person to say its cool and it takes off. Watch in a year they will be like $200 or $300 . :roll:
It's creeping up on that buzz saw-y sound that Trap Them uses to such amazing effect. A little more saggy, though. I dig it.