Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Picked up a Nord Modular Classic Keyboard to replace my Nord G2 Engine.

agershon
gettin' sounds

Post by agershon » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:28 pm

vvv wrote:That 166a is much better than some would have you believe.

It is a bit different sounding from the 160XT, somehow a little cleaner and not as "round", if that makes sense.

Also, you can stack the channels.

I like it on bass, guitars acoustic and amps, and on vocs for a change.
Yea this model was recommended to me as a bit of a sleeper. It's also a mod candidate, so there's that. Also in the running were the 163x, VLA, Ashly, etc.

Planning to use it on drum OH's and acoustic guitar mainly.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:09 pm

50's or 60's Ramerez Rondella classical guitar. Ramerez bought these from other Spanish manufacturers, rebranded and sold them as student guitars. Still, it's a hand made guitar with a solid cedar top and solid mahogany back and sides and it sounds incredible.
On the downside, the bridge is lifting and someone uses 3 wood screws to repair it, the back is separated from the sides in a few spots, it's been refinished with a goopy, drippy coat of lacquer or varnish, and someone painted the rosewood fretboard black.
Even after all that abuse it still shines. Besides, it only cost $100. I love an underdog.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:39 pm

I just got my Joly-modded mc012's serviced by oktavamod. now they are pretty closed to matched. love it.

also, I got a Sonoma Wireworks Guitarjack 2 for mobile recording with an iPhone. it sounds pretty good. only 24 bit 48k mobile unit out there. I don't love the software gain control, but it's a well built, solid piece of steel. the latency for overdubs isn't great, but it still gets the job done.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:38 pm

Picked up Gretsch Catalina Club jazz set and some K Constantinople rides.

Man, the catalina are an insane deal for the money. For a little bop set to mess around on they are perfect. The K's sound amazing. I played and listened to a bunch of Istanbul and Bosphorus cymbals but to me the constantinoples just had the prefect combination of ping, wash and trashyness. Which sucks cause they cost quite a bit more, but that was the sound I wanted. After I finish this next album I am mixing I may record myself playing (poorly) and.post it up.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:18 pm

T-rex wrote:Picked up Gretsch Catalina Club jazz set and some K Constantinople rides.

Man, the catalina are an insane deal for the money. For a little bop set to mess around on they are perfect. The K's sound amazing. I played and listened to a bunch of Istanbul and Bosphorus cymbals but to me the constantinoples just had the prefect combination of ping, wash and trashyness. Which sucks cause they cost quite a bit more, but that was the sound I wanted. After I finish this next album I am mixing I may record myself playing (poorly) and.post it up.
I love the sound of Gretsch sets. My drummer endorses them and has a couple nice maple kits and a catalina. Even the catalina sounds great.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:18 pm

Yeah, I really wanted a USA custom set, but I play so little jazz I couldn't justify that and the cymbals. And those catalina's do sound damn good.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:45 pm

I do love Gretsch, even though I have a big ass set off?DW for my main kit now. I had a Broadkaster bop kit in the nineties when I was playing a lot of jazz and a round badge set of Toms for rock until just a few years ago. They sounded amazing, but were a bitch to get and keep in tune due to their age and condition. I'm still blown away by how good these sound for the money.

I know I am late to the catalina party, but here's a clip of one of my favorite drummers (Morphine) playing them
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE_MEj6k1js

And a shot of the set:
Last edited by T-rex on Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:45 pm

double post

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:31 pm

Tremolo pedal, and really versatile too.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/s ... shape_shi/

For 65 bucks, you can't go wrong.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:57 pm

Nick Sevilla wrote:Tremolo pedal, and really versatile too.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/s ... shape_shi/

For 65 bucks, you can't go wrong.
I love tremolo. I would put tremolo on every track if people would let me. Luckily they don't.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:19 pm

Traded a few broken analog keyboards from my workbench for a custom Goodsell 2x12 oversized cab with Celestion V30s+cash. Sounds uncanny great.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:29 pm

bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:25 am

I have been buying a shit-ton of new and used gear in order to put together a touring rig. Some may go away after SXSW and some is going to stay around for a west coast tour in July.

? Sansamp Para Driver (in case there is no amp for me).
? JHS Superbolt overdrive pedal (oh my gawd I love this pedal! Supro in a little box. Glorious drive that sounds and behaves EXACTLY like an amp).
? JHS ABY pedal.
? Lehle Parallel L FX loop/mixer pedal (a gawdsend! Replaces an actual mixer and fits on my pedalboard!).
? Roland JV-1010 with Keyboards of the '60s and '70s expansion board (for live use on tour(s) w/ an Oxygen 8 or whatever instead of lugging around my beloved vintage SCI SixTrak, Roland Juno 106, or a laptop running NI's B4 II).
? Roland JV-1080 with Keyboards of the '60s and '70s, Hip Hop, and Drums & Bass expansion boards + a 2-space rack (Bought this for the same reasons as the JV-1010, but I like the smaller footprint. Probably going to sell all of the cards and keep the rack and JV-1080, but may just keep the rack and make a little scratch).
? Gator 61-note TSA hardshell keyboard case w/rollers (because packing all of your shit for SXSW should mean having a safe place to fit it all that will also fit your Roland Juno 106 upon your return).
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:29 am

Hey Rex,

What kind of hand-hammered cymbals are you sporting there? They look shiny and nice... fairly dark-sounding, are they??

GJ