Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:26 am

Bought some guitar gear this summer

Yamaha G100 II
I love it! Solid State amp from the 80's. Designed by Mike Soldano (who went on to do Soldano amps). The clean channel is gorgeous . It's very clear yet thick sound to it. Takes pedals very well. Think of a JC 120 but with a little more mojo and girth. It also has a cool Parameteric EQ with adjustable Q. Lots of different sounds to be had with this. The distortion channel sounds weird and could be interesting in the right context. Very happy buy.

Bought a Digitech CM-2 overdrive/distortion pedal. Really nice pedal! Think of a Tube Screamer but with a bass and treble knob. It sounds really great, no mods needed for this thing. Sounds like a very expensive boutique pedal. Works great with soild state and tube amps. It has a switch with "classic" setting and a "modern" setting. So far for a light overdrive I like it on "classic" with the distortion turned all the way down into a clean amp. It's really responsive to your dynamics. Chords and arpeggios come out very clearly but with some grit and texture of the light distortion. For the other extreme on "modern" with the gain up all the way and bass and treble knob turned up quite a bit too sounds really great! Very Marshall JCM800 sounding. Works well with cascading into another distortion pedal or distorted amp. Got it used for $50 bucks. Super psyched.

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

I just bought the MikTek CV4

Post by alexdingley » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:34 am

My Miktek CV4 arrived Friday... I got to bust it out a little over the weekend, and it's a nice step up from my R?de NT2 (original - with fresh capsule)...

I did a quick A/B test on a vocal. Side by Side R?de vs. MikTek, and they were both very nice, but the Miktek had a little sweeter tone for my vocals. Excited to use it on some upcoming work.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:27 pm

Stack of cheapish mics to throw into the fold...Studio Projects B1, B3, EV ND 767A, AKG D2300S, and V-Tech VT-1030...bought the whole lot to get a cheap condenser for a friend, and the whole lot cost less than one B3...

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:12 pm

Awesome buy, ks.

TC Electronic SDS 8 Octal Switcher. A cool little one-u rack effects loop switcher-- 8 "channels" with send and return to effect an incoming input signal. I'm thinking of getting another one for the studio, but i want to see how this works with my DJ set-up.

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

bluesman
re-cappin' neve

Post by bluesman » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:15 am

Just got a Yamaha Rev 7 from the original owner. Probably going in my live rack.
"The digital future sucks the boils off my white ass." McHugh

Randyman...
takin' a dinner break

Post by Randyman... » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:32 am

I just "Handed Down" my older Roland TD-6V V-Drum kit to an old friend that could no longer play his acoustic kit @ home. It was the nicer model with the mesh pads and CY12C/CY13R cymbals. He loves it :)

This left me with a big empty space at home - so I picked up a new TD15-KV/S Kit (with the sweet PDX-100 and PD-85 mesh pads), upgraded to two CY-14C 14" Crashes and a CY-15R 15" Ride (using the "stock" CY12C and CY13R cymbals on my Studio V-Drum kit), and tossed in an Iron Cobra 900 series Double Kick pedal and 900 Hi-Hat stand.

Still have a free trigger input on the TD-15, and this is while using all 3 sensors on the Ride (Bell/Bow/Edge) - Using all 3 Ride triggers used up one of the extra inputs on my old TD-6 - so I was happy to see I still had an extra input left over (will either add a 4th PD-85 as a tom or a CY8 as a splash).

Roland is really kicking ass with the newer "Super Natural" stuff. This is also my first V-Drum kit with the "V Hi-Hat" (VH-11) that uses a real Hi-Hat stand. I am very impressed with the response, but it is not 100% like a real hi-hat (but is the closest I have played to date). Slower playing or very intentional playing is fine, but trying to do faster stuff where the pedal action and stick activity are in close timing to each other leaves a little to be desired (can easily "play into" it by playing intentional, but it is a conscious thing - at least for now).

It also does ASIO and MIDI over USB - pretty cool.

Next up: RME MADIface-XT once it ships (already pre-ordered from GC-Pro, and have the sweet ARC Remote and E-PCIe card in-hand!)

:cool:
Randy V.
Audio-Dude / Musician / PC Guru / Crazy Guy

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by wren » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:58 am

Just got a pair of DPA 4061s a couple weeks ago - haven't had a chance to use them yet but I'm sure they'll come in very handy.

But the really exciting thing happened earlier this week - I've become really good at accidentally finding misspelled things on ebay, and this was my best find yet: a pair of Meyer UPJ-1Ps, close enough for me to pick up, that went for very little (not, like, nothing, but in the hundreds instead of the thousands).
"I don't need time, I need a deadline." -Duke Ellington

"I liked the holes in it as much as I liked what was in them." -Tom Waits

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:12 am

wren wrote:DPA 4061s
I bet you're going to love those. I was lucky enough to get a couple B&K mics with the power supply a while back and I use it A LOT. It sounds just like what I hear in the room, so if I can get things to sound good to my ears, I know exactly what I'll get on the track.

One thing to try is to use those as overheads along with a ribbon pair, and blend to taste.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:47 am

wren wrote: I've become really good at accidentally finding misspelled things on ebay, ...
Shhhh!

:twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:53 am

vvv wrote:
wren wrote: I've become really good at accidentally finding misspelled things on ebay, ...
Shhhh!

Could be good for great deals, but it could account for some of the problems you've had with ebay... you're dealing with people who can't spell!

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by wren » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:00 am

ubertar wrote:
wren wrote:DPA 4061s
I bet you're going to love those. I was lucky enough to get a couple B&K mics with the power supply a while back and I use it A LOT. It sounds just like what I hear in the room, so if I can get things to sound good to my ears, I know exactly what I'll get on the track.

One thing to try is to use those as overheads along with a ribbon pair, and blend to taste.
Yeah, you can buy little (overpriced) magnetic mounts for them, and I plan on getting those so I can just attach them to other mics. Given how small they are, it's hard to imagine a better multi-mic'ing setup. Plus: (kind of) instant backup for location recording. :D

vvv wrote:
Shhhh!

See, I'd be more hush-hush about it if I was ever able to intentionally find anything that was misspelled, but I can't - it's always stuff I stumble on by accident when I'm looking for something else. And anyone who knows the brand name and the way ebay works would be able to look at search results and say, "'Myer'? I'll bet that's gonna be cheap - I'm going to add that to my watch list and add a reminder to my Google calendar because that has the potential to be a screamingly good deal."
"I don't need time, I need a deadline." -Duke Ellington

"I liked the holes in it as much as I liked what was in them." -Tom Waits

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:44 am

ubertar wrote:
vvv wrote:
Shhhh!

Could be good for great deals, but it could account for some of the problems you've had with ebay... you're dealing with people who can't spell!
:lol:

Just bought a Danelectro French Toast for <US$30.

Looked at and considered a UA 1176 re-issue for about US$900, but in light of those cited problems, I'm just no longer willing to go above a cuppla hunnert on the Ebog.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:08 am

Selling a bunch of stuff and upgrading a bunch of stuff this month and next.

I sold my modified/upgraded Pro Jr (bought here on the TOMB) that I've been using on a bunch of stuff for the past 5 years. It went to Kyle over at Fancytime here in town, so it'll get a ton of use on a lot of great records. I picked up a Pro Guitar Shop Fender Humboldt Hot Rod. It's a great little amp that's way more versatile than the Pro Jr (reverb, actual clean tones, better speaker, etc). I wish that I could have kept both (I love amps), but I simply had to sell one for the other. The Humboldt HR will get a bunch of use for lap steel and guitar in the studio an also live when I don't feel like lugging my vintage Super Reverb to the gig.

I also bought a *brand new* metal face plate for my 1965 Fender Vibro Champ. Someone on eBay is making exact replicas of the old mid-60s face plates. My VC was bought here on the TOMB for under $250 as a project (no faceplate, busted tremolo, missing back panel, torn tolex), and I have looked far and wide for a NOS face plate for it. It now looks sexy as hell. The amp was just in the shop (Rootbeer Audio here in Philly) for an overhaul and is now in 100% working condition. Tracked through it on Saturday morning and it sounds wonderful.

For the past 15 months I've been working on grabbing a mid-sized mixer/console that will fit my space and not clutter my workflow, sound great, allow me to mix at least 16 track analog, have direct outs and inserts on all channels, and give me some nice preamps that will rival and compliment what I already have. I've been back and forth between 16 and 24 channels, 4 bus and 8 bus (and no bus!), vintage and modern, over $2K and under $1K. After looking at a bunch of stuff and seeing what I could and could not afford (features vs. sound vs. $$$), I decided to take the plunge on a RAMSA WR-S4424. It's 24x4x2 and cost me $480 shipped (I usually see them from about $650 to $1300 on eBay). Arrived safe and sound yesterday from the Church that it's been used in for the past 20 years. All channels work fine, a few *minimal* scratchy pots/buttons that I will clean up myself. Really excited to mix analog again, even if it means 16 track for now (with some things like drums summed internally within my Metric Halo 2882's on board 2d Card). Getting ready to pick up a few patch bays and make some nice snake cables.

And then in a few weeks my buddy is long-term loaning me his Tascam 38. So I'll be messing around with tape this winter.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:23 pm

I just picked-up the Korg Volca Keys. Awaiting delivery of a Digitech Digidelay thanks to a Tape Opper of the TOMB (tm)...

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:47 am

Gregg Juke wrote:I just picked-up the Korg Volca Keys.
GJ
Those Korg Volca pieces look incredible. They all interest me, though I'd probably be jumping on picking one of them up quicker if I didn't have a Korg Monotron here that I still haven't totally grasped how to use. I love hearing all the different sounds of these Korgs but I don't have a deep enough understanding to really make good use of them.

On the other hand, I did use my stylophone pretty prominently in a track for a cover song video today. That one I can understand.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com