Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:08 am

vvv wrote:Is a RE320 comparable for kick duties to the RE20?

Also, whaddya use the VTB1's for? (I have one, throw it on bass occasionally, vocals ...)
I've never used an RE320, but I've heard that since it uses a different magnet structure and doesn't have an output transformer the 320 is a bit brighter and quicker (with transients I'm assuming, which would make a difference especially on kick). I love the RE20. The slightly slower transient makes it really push and have a lot of punch compared to something that just has a very pure and insanely articulate transient. I think the transformer has quite a bit to do with the sound of the mic, especially with drums.

I like the VTB-1s for anything that needs a little crunch, or just any kind of backup things when I need a couple more channels. I haven't found much that does a similar crunch to driving the input of it, but it cleans up to be a pretty neutral, good preamp. Sometimes I use the U87 across the space for a distant drum room mic with a bit of crush, that's always exciting. I like it a lot on bass too.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:07 am

8)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:49 am

Akai MXP8-- 8-pad SD card-fed sample player. Not a sampler, pers se; they need to be loaded from an external source (other than the 21 internal sounds and 8 internal kits). Portable; doesn't need a computer (again, unless you're adding your own sample sets, but it's not a MIDI trigger for a computer-based set-up, although you could use it that way! works as a controller and has after-touch)...

This is a cool little unit. People are complaining that it's not an SP or an MPC or something of that nature; whaddya want for $100? It does the job nicely.

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:59 pm

GT MD1B
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:51 pm

Nice score Vuv !!

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:56 pm

Thanx! It's not the one I thought it was - this has the mini-tube - but it should be fun and the price (<US$325) was right.

Well, that is, I bid and surprised me winning it, anyway.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:57 am

Fretless P/J bass from Rondo Music:

http://www.rondomusic.com/ursa3mn3tsfl.html

I might stick a phase switch or push/pull on it eventually, a friend suggested P bass pickup with a little bit of out of phase J gets more mwah.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:05 am

Good timing Craig!

American Standard Precision Bass:

My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:54 am

CraigS63 wrote:Fretless P/J bass from Rondo Music:
Do give us a review!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:32 pm

vvv wrote:
CraigS63 wrote:Fretless P/J bass from Rondo Music:
Do give us a review!
So far, I am impressed - I wanted a fretless (besides my goofy little Ashbory silicone string thing), and was leaning toward something with a P bass neck. I was going to have one made from Allparts or something, but this bass was on sale for $120, just over the price of the cheaper fretless necks with ebonol fretboards. I haven't found any finish flaws, and the pots seem solid (although one needs to be tightened against the pickguard). The fretboard feels nicely rounded (vs. my '83 P bass which is a little sharp), and the stock strings seem fine. I'll stick some recordings out on Soundcloud under craigs63 when I get a chance.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:23 pm

Cool.

I am originally a guitarist but am playing a bass now in a band. Much as I love groovin', I find I like to change up the sounds a little, and the feel, as if I were changing guitars and using pedals.

I do have fretless (not lacquered MIJ Jaco), and love it, and was thinking about getting another, mebbe to lacquer ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:16 am

Ableplanet Linx Audio Noise Cancelling Headphones

Wow! I may actually not hafta assault some randumb cellphone user on public transportation, yet. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Recording Engineer
steve albini likes it

Post by Recording Engineer » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:01 pm

SSL 6048 console and a pair of TCM-215CX3 monitors:

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:32 pm

Yeah but when ya gonna get somethin' really nice and impressive?

:twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

WillMorgan
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by WillMorgan » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:16 pm

^ Wow!!

-
Meanwhile, I have forever played on a crappy acoustic drum set: Tama shells with the bottom head hardware missing, etc.. Add to that my willful incompetence at tuning drums, all amidst a cramped and untreated room.

I made a couple of half hearted attempts at recording the set with no great results and many cables strewn about, meanwhile my neighbors are complaining about noise on jam night.

So, last weekend I replaced the acoustic set with a yamaha dtx 700K digital set. Got a floor demo and the brain is all but outdated so I got a good price, $1800. Man the thing is fun! The toms sound good for once. Symbols are not bad... I don't have a highly refined ears but I figure a great sign is that the next day my calves were sore from practicing.

The main joy is that the set is so simple and easy to record. Just plug in the left and right brain outs to my Mackie Onyx 1640 -> firewire -> Logic and I have what I think are quite decent drum tracks.

Boom bada bing! Five years of saying "I will soon record some songs with drums on 'em" to recording a song with drums on 'em in one day ( ok, I still have to do the comps because I'm a poor drummer but still, so easy, and I can make takes any time of the day and night! )

I'm sure years of tweaking the set's samples and perhaps even with figuring out the midi recording with high quality samples from the computer won't sound as good as a great drum set in a great room but those start at $50 an hour. Once I have guitars and vocals on top, I am hopeful it's going to work quite well for cutting some master worthy tracks.

Here is a video of the setup before and after the swap where I discover the brain has more than just a selection of simple samples to be triggered
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBd6YHW1OPo

I am very pleased, my main worry is live jamming won't be so good now because of the loss of dynamics and touch and guests having to get used to the pads...Plus my current PA might have too much to handle what with a couple of guitars and vocals going over it as well though my sub should help.

Am feeling pretty good though about a headphone setup for a band practice next week!

I am wondering if any releases I've heard have used these things. Maybe some room ambiance could be 'drummed up' by re-amping a guitar in front of the old snare..
- EP "Built Some" released 12/13/13
http://willmomusic.com/