Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:57 pm

WillMorgan wrote:^ Wow!!

-
Meanwhile, I have forever played on a crappy acoustic drum set: Tama shells with the bottom head hardware missing, etc.. Add to that my willful incompetence at tuning drums, all amidst a cramped and untreated room.

I made a couple of half hearted attempts at recording the set with no great results and many cables strewn about, meanwhile my neighbors are complaining about noise on jam night.

So, last weekend I replaced the acoustic set with a yamaha dtx 700K digital set. Got a floor demo and the brain is all but outdated so I got a good price, $1800. Man the thing is fun! The toms sound good for once. Symbols are not bad... I don't have a highly refined ears but I figure a great sign is that the next day my calves were sore from practicing.

The main joy is that the set is so simple and easy to record. Just plug in the left and right brain outs to my Mackie Onyx 1640 -> firewire -> Logic and I have what I think are quite decent drum tracks.

Boom bada bing! Five years of saying "I will soon record some songs with drums on 'em" to recording a song with drums on 'em in one day ( ok, I still have to do the comps because I'm a poor drummer but still, so easy, and I can make takes any time of the day and night! )

I'm sure years of tweaking the set's samples and perhaps even with figuring out the midi recording with high quality samples from the computer won't sound as good as a great drum set in a great room but those start at $50 an hour. Once I have guitars and vocals on top, I am hopeful it's going to work quite well for cutting some master worthy tracks.

Here is a video of the setup before and after the swap where I discover the brain has more than just a selection of simple samples to be triggered
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBd6YHW1OPo

I am very pleased, my main worry is live jamming won't be so good now because of the loss of dynamics and touch and guests having to get used to the pads...Plus my current PA might have too much to handle what with a couple of guitars and vocals going over it as well though my sub should help.

Am feeling pretty good though about a headphone setup for a band practice next week!

I am wondering if any releases I've heard have used these things. Maybe some room ambiance could be 'drummed up' by re-amping a guitar in front of the old snare..
I used to use a cheap Yamaha electric kit to trigger BFD 2.0 over MIDI. Sounded great, of course, as BFD does? I don't like hitting rubber pads though, so I ditched it.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:14 am

Aiight, just rec'd a pair of M-Audio AV 40's for my mobile rig; I think they'll work just fine for some rudimentary and portable on-site monitoring.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:15 pm

BTW, I feel like I should mention, I post in this thread like I assume most do, looking for people to comment on a particular item I bought, so please feel free as they are new to me!

AKG P2

Sputnik (haven't rec'd yet, but I'm excited!)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:47 pm

Just landed one of my dream mics, a 1977 Microtech Gefell UM70 capsule + MV691 body/preamp combination. I've been borrowing a mid-1970s UM70s for the past 8 years. Now I have my own. Paid $1249 shipped for it from Mic Hawk, and Richard threw in cases for both the capsule and body for free. It was just gone over and given a clean bill of health by his tech in Germany.

Planning on checking out a bunch of the weirdo capsules that were made to go with the 691 preamp. There are sure to be a bunch of gems in the bunch, and I see them all of the time for like $250.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:42 am

Cajon (I'm sure I am pronouncing it as badly as I will play it) from Banjo Center:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/craigs63/12564148885/

Hopefully a little better than drum machine/sequenced sounds for the RPM Challenge project this year, we'll see.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:35 am

Wish I heard of that "RPM Challenge" before; I woulda done it; be really tight, now mebbe, altho' I just checked and I have about 3 songs (about 14 minutes) already, if I count a THD one ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:42 pm

CraigS63 wrote:Cajon (I'm sure I am pronouncing it as badly as I will play it) from Banjo Center:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/craigs63/12564148885/

Hopefully a little better than drum machine/sequenced sounds for the RPM Challenge project this year, we'll see.
Just for future reference you say it like "cahone". Though the majority of my clients call it a "cajun", which just makes me want Popeyes.

A friend of mine - also originally from Illinois (Kankakee to be specific), he goes by "lostwars" - has done the RPM challenge the last few years I believe. I'll have to give it a try one year.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:27 pm

Digital Reference DR-KX1 Kick/Bass Drum Microphone; it's prob'ly not too good on kick, but it's nice and small and sounds aiight on bass (here) - I'm thinkin' for toms, tho'.

A pop filter, because I leave some mic's on stands and it's even handier when the pop filter is already there.

JJ EL84's - sweet in my Pro, Jr.

Sterling Audio SP50 and SP30: not sure why I bought these other than they were so cheap, but they are interesting in that the "LDC" and "SDC" styles have the same small diaphragm. The 50 is actually pretty solid feeling, but the 30 records a cuppla dB hotter. Not unusable mic's, but nothin' to make me wanna use 'em, either (they are the response vox on this, 50 on the left, 30 on the right.)

ADK TC Mk9 TUBE Condenser Mic: I got the Sputnik listed above (all vocals and guitars, here) and really like it but - is there something the matter with me? (other than the obvious, I mean) - I prefer the MXL V69ME with a nice RCA 6072 (stacked vox here). So I got Friday-night rich (see the latest DBT album for the reference) and bid on this and got it for 1/2 the street price of the Mk12. Shipped today, so I may report back if anyone's interested ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

loxnbabybagels
audio school graduate

Post by loxnbabybagels » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:21 pm

I just picked up a Dynacord DRP10. I had always wanted the DRP15, and I assumed that the lower model number meant that it didn't have as many features. As it turns out, the DRP10 came out a few years after the DRP15, but has the same processing power and algorithms. The only difference is an improved user interface with the DRP10 that divides the presets by instrument and gives each category its own button for quicker navigation. That, and it has tons more memory for storing user-created patches. Got it at a pawn shop in Tacoma for $125.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.

https://soundcloud.com/franksense-1 http://youthvulture.blogspot.com/

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:36 am

Just rec'd a ADK A6, s'posedly neutral in sound between the Hamburg and Vienna. I really like my A-51 Type V's on vocals, and this is supposed to be better ...

The other day I got a Samson C01 for $1.00 + shipping! I have a C02 which is multi-pattern and has been quite nice for M/S. In that the C01 is ostensible the card-only version, I wanna see how it works to have two related mic's in M/S (altho' now I think about it, I could try that with some M179's ...).
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:21 am

MXL Genesis, to replace this. I like it lots, used it on a lead voc yesterday with the above-mentioned A6 and C01 on BV's - very complimentary with the A6 being very solid and un-hyped, the C01 more of a standard but not exaggerated Chinee LCD (the A6 tracks are mixed close up, the C02's further in the background), and the Genesis just beautiful-sounding on my voice with the HPF and pad engaged and no EQ - very inspiring and I nailed a kinda difficult performance in 1.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:18 pm

A mess of great stuff at an embarrassingly low price from a friend who's getting out of the business:

*SKB rack with graphic EQ, Lexicon 500, EV crossover, DBX compressor, and Behringer quad gate/comp/expander

*Anvil case with a straight tone-arm Stanton TT inside

*Pristine set of AKG C1000S (with sweet hard cases, clips, euro-adaptors, pick-up pattern adaptors, and foam windscreens)

*Shure SM57

*Sony high-end headphones (don't know the model #; not 7506's)

*2 EV 12" ported subs (super small and light-weight!)

*Useful boxes like 2 Line Level Shifters, a cable tester, and a Q-Box

*2 bags full of cables, cords, insert snakes, and sundries

Pictures available if anyone wants to see them (can't figure out how to post/embed).
Pretty stoked!

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:49 pm

To embed pix you must have them hosted somewhere on the net.

Then you paste the link, then highlight it, and hit the "Img" box (that appears when you post), or place it between the tags, [img*][/img*], without the *'s.

To see, quote this post and look at the image below:

bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:39 am

Oh yeah, that's right! :lol:

So, I suppose you want pix now?

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:05 am

Yes, please! :lol:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.