Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:12 am

Full-track? What speed?
That may kind of rock...

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

Acsii
audio school graduate

Post by Acsii » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:57 pm

It's a dual speed one, so it's got 3 ? IPS and 7 ? IPS. Currently I'm not sure if the heads work, hopefully they do.

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:17 pm

In the early 70's we used 1/2 inch revox or ampex mono machines as our tracking machines for pretty much whatever at AM radio stations and Fm. At that time, I thought they sounded great, it would be interesting to hear one today. The material was usually transferred to carts for on air use. 1/4 inch, I never worked with, but that's still a lot of tape surface, and if the electronics and circuit are good, it might really fatten up guitar and other stuff, tho sync may be a PIA. What brand is it?

Acsii
audio school graduate

Post by Acsii » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:32 am

It's a monacor one. Should be good when I get it working.
Nez Pender
Kalium Puls
http://wp.ultrazoidsshed.com

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:33 pm

Picked up an Optigan and a few discs that was gonna be headed to the dump for $50.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:19 pm

"Get-OUT!!!!"

Elaine Bennis on kslight's unbelievable find...

GJ
Gregg Juke

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

Neil Weir
pushin' record

Post by Neil Weir » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:12 pm

I just got a Korg MS-20 mini and I love it.
Neil Weir

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:04 pm

Gregg Juke wrote:"Get-OUT!!!!"

Elaine Bennis on kslight's unbelievable find...

GJ
What? I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not? Not the most incredible find, since it seems a lot of people would rather dump these than try to sell them?but I just figured for $50 if I use it on one song I'll be happy and I can pass it along to the next p̶o̶o̶r̶ ̶s̶a̶p̶ lucky broke musician?or keep it as furniture.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:18 pm

I just got a AT3060, what uses a sub-mini hearing-aid tube offa 48 v. phantom power - a prelim test shows it bright and kinda retro, like the UTSF says.

I also bought a nut-riser and tonebar; I wanna try lap steel using a regular guitar before I decide if I wanna buy a actual lap steel; I saw the last Wilco ACL last week and got inspired!

And I got a new Stick-On STP-1 in-line pad because the last one I got (from a different seller, used) was defective - same price, but this one is new. 8)

A little while ago, I think I mentioned inna different post, I bought a used Martin D-1 - I'm in love!

As always, any useful comments are appreciated; hell, useless ones, too! :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:15 am

Oh, not being ironic/sarcastic at all ks... I almost spent a lot more on one. The concept of a "poor man's mellotron" fascinates me.

I'm just always amazed at what people come up with out there. I'm always scouring the estate sales and garage sales, but I rarely find the amazingly awesome tech of yesteryear that I'm looking for. Usually just the same old Ray Conniff Singers LPs...

GJ
Gregg Juke

pandemic
pushin' record

Post by pandemic » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:40 am

Roland Super JX.......Goodwill........50$........with M-64C memory card. Sold the card on Evilebay for 66$. I'm up 16$. Boom.

Seriously though, Goodwill has a 7 day return policy on electronics. There is no reason not to buy if it looks cool.....you can return it if it don't work! I have scored so much random electronics, taken them home and checked them then kept/sold/ or returned stuff that didn't work. I hit 2 different Goodwills 3-4 times a week..you never know what people get rid of. I'm still searching for a box of old ribbon microphones........
Good Luck At Any Cost

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:06 am

Moogerfooger Freqbox.
God-damn this thing is fun. It replaces what-ever you put in with crazy synth sounds. I've been using it with my RMI Electra-piano to make lovely/weird/gross sounds.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:00 pm

Gregg Juke wrote:Oh, not being ironic/sarcastic at all ks... I almost spent a lot more on one. The concept of a "poor man's mellotron" fascinates me.

I'm just always amazed at what people come up with out there. I'm always scouring the estate sales and garage sales, but I rarely find the amazingly awesome tech of yesteryear that I'm looking for. Usually just the same old Ray Conniff Singers LPs...

GJ
Yah I mean I find this stuff all the time?advantage of being in the midwest I guess, less people to compete with in terms of keyboard deals? This is my first Optigan though. I am amazed how hard they are to find right now?couldn't find a single other one for sale in the entire country. I put out a feeler for Optigan discs on my CL and someone from MPLS contacted me trying to buy my Optigan. I nearly let them, too, but then one turned up for them locally.

FollowFarnsworth
ass engineer

Post by FollowFarnsworth » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:18 am

I found a listing in Idaho Falls for a 1968 Scully 284-8 one inch eight track deck and 5 boxes of tape and a Quantum Audio Labs QM8 mixer. The guy said it was formerly owned by Del Shannon and that after Shannon's death his father went to the funeral (apparently was a friend?) and had been told to get some recording equipment that Del had. So, he brought it back to Idaho Falls and began recording. This person passed away earlier this year and his son was moving to Denver and couldn't take it with him. He was asking for $1,500obo and told me to offer him something as he had already sold it but the guy who bought it was killed in a car crash before he could pick it up!! I offered $500 knowing that it would cost double that to get it here.
Sooo
I just received the deck itself and it is in very good condition, as it turns out it is a SYNCMASTER model. But, the boxes of tape and the remote has been "lost" by the carrier... The deck has a tag on the back of it that says Holzer Audio Engineering Van Nuys California. From what I gather Howard Holzer was the engineer who originally designed and built A&M studios. I also read that from 1968 to 1971 A&M used a Scully 284-8 and after 1971 the opted for a different manufacturer. So, I believe that there is a chance THIS Scully is the same one that I have seen in pictures with Carly Simon, Joni Mitchell, and James Taylor in front of.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:12 am

Very cool, and glad yer not superstitious!

Just rec'd a Cathedral Pipes Durham what I can't wait to try this weekend.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.