Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:01 pm

drumsound wrote:
A.David.MacKinnon wrote:After years of hunting and almost giving up on it as a total impossibility I have finally found the rare and elusive cheap/awesome acoustic guitar. It's a mid 60's Hofner Western 491. Basically Hofner's take on the J45. Solid spruce top, mahogany neck, back & sides. It was covered in dust and filth, the finish is shot, it needs a bridge re-glue and probably new machine heads but right now, cleaned up and restrung it sounds crazy good.
I was pretty sure I couldn't get this sound without spending at least $1K. $150 later I'm a very, very happy guy.

My ex wife has a wonderful Honer acoustic that is basically a D45 copy and sounds amazing. I tried to get it in the divorce, but she was having non of that. Luckily we get on well, and it still lives at the studio most of the time.
They really seem way too great and well made to be so unknown and unheralded. I see the Beatle basses, electrics and archtops all the time but this is the first flat top I've come across and there's almost nothing about them on the web.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:18 pm

I'd snatch up another Honer acoustic if I came across one.

pandemic
pushin' record

Post by pandemic » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:00 am

1966 Ludwig Pioneer Snare in Red Sparkle....almost mint......original heads......original snares.........wait for it.............5 dollars. Thrift.
Good Luck At Any Cost

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:09 am

DANG!!!! ^^^^

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

Darlington Pair
takin' a dinner break

Post by Darlington Pair » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:39 am

pandemic wrote:1966 Ludwig Pioneer Snare in Red Sparkle....almost mint......original heads......original snares.........wait for it.............5 dollars. Thrift.
I had a whole 66 Ludwig silver sparkle kit that I got for $15 at a thrift store. When I moved to Florida years ago I left it with a friend with instructions to baby it. A year later I finally got it back, all the front/bottom heads and rings missing, punk rock stickers and magic marker all over it, and the strap on the speed king pedal broke so he threw it away and traded my snare for a shitty no name kick pedal and a 70s Ludwig aluminum snare.

He almost died that day.

Luckily the stickers and magic marker cleaned off, but I sure miss that snare.

pandemic
pushin' record

Post by pandemic » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:21 am

I have been killing it at the thrift stores lately...
Roland Super JX 50$ sold for 157$
Ludwig snare 5$
Dynaco A25 pair 8$ sold for 80$
Another pair of minimus 7's 8$ sold for 30$
some random drum hardware...15$
Good Luck At Any Cost

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:01 am

GT Convertible (US$45 shipped offa the E-bog). S'posedly the same as the Sterling ST31, I look forward to using it on snare (per Jim Williams and Michael Waegner) and AcGtr, mebbe live vox.

M Audio Solaris (US$45 shipped offa the E-bog). I really like the Luna and the Sputnik and this fits right in with them, FET and multi-pattern.

Blue 8-ball (US$25 shipped offa the E-bog). Aiight, it's kinda gimmicky but I have a Blue Ball and rather like it on amps, this one not so much so far, tho' I've only tried it on vox, what is a much different thing but I swear, it sounds like the mic is shaped like a ball! Well, at least I now have, however mis-matched, a pair. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:51 pm

You're going to need a new Imelda Marcos Brand (tm) shoe display thingie soon...

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:59 pm

Ha!

I've actually been placing 'em in clear storage boxes lately (still have the hangar storage, also); small ones with dividers for the smaller mic's, and larger ones for the larger.

Oh, and I just picked up a MXL V77 which is pretty good. Gota put a better tube in - have some 12AU7's on the way ...

Been loving changing out tube mic's; I've been testing 'em all with the same pre/comp set up (Eureka), and all of 'em are acceptable, but some better'n others. Mebbe I should publish a shootout/review ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Mudcloth
steve albini likes it

Post by Mudcloth » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:55 am

I bought a Beyerdynamic M400 (Soundstar II) for $50 on craigslist yesterday with the box and all documentation. Used it a a gig later that day and it sounded fantastic. The sound man said the eq on the channel was flat. I was going to turn it on eBay but for that money and sound I'm keeping it.
Matt Giles
Austin, Tx

http://www.mattguitargiles.com
http://www.myspace.com/mattguitargiles
http://www.thedrakesband.com/

How much is a stamp? I'll buy the goddamn stamp.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:21 am

Pair of sE X1R

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:13 am

Senn MD735, US$40 shipped offa the Ebog.

Lemme tell ya's, these MD mic's that are made of some kinda flat black resin? (I have a MD511, also.) Love 'em on vox more than any other dynamics, I do.

(The other day, I used a M400 into a Eureka onna Tele to Pro,Jr. set cleanish - very nice, even tho' I was inna hurry and just hung it from the amp's handle.)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:15 am

UA110 for a pretty good price. I've heard these are awesome SS pre's and so I thought for my tube mic's ...
Anybody use one?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:33 pm

recent acquisitions:
  • md409
    MXR script Phase 90 reissue
    ISP Decimator II (works pretty well, my Hotcake and OD250 have never been so quiet)
    Sequential Circuits Six-Trak (to replace the one i sold in '89)
    Korg SR120 beatbox
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:40 am

Is the 409 worth it? By what I mean, I hear about 'em, but the usual Ebog cost seems ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.