Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:51 am

I got a really great deal on a Manley Mono Preamp. Sounds great on vocals and acoustic guitar; very different from the UA 610's we have. A lot clearer and more transparent.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:08 am

Gregg Juke wrote:Glorified "rack filler," I suppose ks.

Two reasons (well, three really). 1) I'm replacing anything I might (even remotely) need that we have in the studio that isn't mine (I'm in a co-op studio situation where almost all of the gear is mine; just collecting the few pieces that aren't for an eventual move to entirely my own space, dig?) I've got a handful of dat masters myself; if a client ever needs a transfer or re-master from dat, it would be good to have one available. 2) I was only going to get one, but the price was so unbelievable, I got a nice rack piece for the studio, and the portable one as a back-up/option for live remote recording (also got a bunch of tape with purchase, and the dat is a nice adjunct to my little memory card-based digi-recorder). 3) The price itself was just ridiculous ($10 each). Couldn't pass that up on what had once been $1200-$2000 machines.

GJ
Indeed, I guess no reason not to at that price.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:55 pm

Silvertone Bullet harp mic...

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:34 pm

Had pretty much stopped recording four years ago when my daughter was born and I could no longer justify having my band making noise in the basement. The whole time I kept trying to figure out a space I could use to record and was thinking about getting a laptop setup or whatever, but then the computer started pissing me off and then it dawned on me. Why not record in our hourly rehearsal space. So I bought a state of the art circa 2006 Korg D3200 hard disk recorder. I actually got mics up and was recording in under a half hour and got some usable results. I forgot how nice it is to use a hardware box that has limitations and isn't so open ended.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:31 pm

I think I just started a new band ... 8)

My Musicman HD130 is too valuable, and too heavy, to carry around and I don't wanna leave it at the practice space/garage, so I went and bought:

Ampeg PF-500

I paid too much (US $280 used with tax) but I wanted it for this upcoming weekend jam, and now the guys in the store will love me and give me breaks on everything I buy for ever after. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

mrclean
pushin' record

Post by mrclean » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:36 pm

Loving the Strymon El Capistan that showed up for me this holiday season...

-- mrclean

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:11 am

vvv wrote:I think I just started a new band ... 8)

My Musicman HD130 is too valuable, and too heavy, to carry around and I don't wanna leave it at the practice space/garage, so I went and bought:

Ampeg PF-500

I paid too much (US $280 used with tax) but I wanted it for this upcoming weekend jam, and now the guys in the store will love me and give me breaks on everything I buy for ever after. :twisted:
Bassist in my band just got one. It's nice. I was really impressed when he used it rehearsal. We play LOUD. Normally we use a '70 SVT, so I was scoffing at the idea of even practicing with that thing, but it works well.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:20 am

Got a Moog MF Drive and MF Ring on stupid deal of the day...haven't gotten to try them... I sure didn't need any more pedals but i decided to make room for these.

cale w
gettin' sounds

Post by cale w » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:12 am

Christmas present to myself... Squier Jaguar short scale bass, strung up as a 'piccolo' bass-- still tuned EADG but one octave higher than a standard bass. Really fun for chords!

(I obviously don't have a clue how to insert an image here... any help?)

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:29 am

About a year and a half ago I got a UA Apollo Quad for my home rig. I've really enjoyed that box. It really streamlined my set up at home. I have been using the plugs a lot. I have most of the plugs that are closest to the hardware we have at the studio plus some other things that I probably couldn't touch like the awesome EMT 250 and the Fairchild collection.

UA lets you authorize your plugs on 2 boxes so I got a Satellite Quad for the studio before the end of the year.

I have to say that the registration, instal and importing of my existing licensed plugs was probably the easiest thing I've ever done with a computer related gadget. UA is a mighty solid company in my book.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:24 am

Are you PC or Mac?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:27 am

vvv wrote:Are you PC or Mac?
Mac

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:26 pm

Just picked up an EV RE 320. I've only gotten to just test it out with my voice, but it seems pretty cool. I really needed a mic for bass and am hoping this will do the trick.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:04 pm

mrclean wrote:Loving the Strymon El Capistan that showed up for me this holiday season...

Those things are great. I was in a band with someone until recently who had one on his pedal board, but with the music we were doing he almost never used it. I'm always tempted to make an offer - I'd love to have one even just to use during mixing.

PS hey from nearby! I'm in Upper Darby, just a few miles down the road. Always nice to meet other folks in the area, especially those as gearnerdy as I am.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:16 pm

Trick Fall wrote:Just picked up an EV RE 320. I've only gotten to just test it out with my voice, but it seems pretty cool. I really needed a mic for bass and am hoping this will do the trick.
I have one and really like it on bass amp, and vocals, also.

I understand that it differs from the RE20 in not having a transformer.

While I've not used an RE20 in ages, I suspect that the 320 might respond a little quicker, sound a touch more neutral.

It is certainly so in comparison to my SM7B, PV520i, and various EV and Senn LDD's, etc.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.