Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:35 am

So, whatizzits?

I just bought a buncha small cables and connectors, to make free shipping, for the sale-price pair of the Monoprice 6.5" two-ways, the speakers also also for the orifice.

Hmm, gonna needa lotta lube ... :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

ulriggribbons
steve albini likes it

Post by ulriggribbons » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:07 am

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:18 am

"Note: Includes pump."

:lol:

Did I mention I'm 1/2 Greek?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:25 pm

trodden wrote:
Sean Sullivan wrote:I just ordered a CAPI VP28 kit with GAR2520's. I really like the idea of an API preamp with an output fader.
That's on my list as well.
I'm really impressed with it. I prefer it to my API 3124+ (which I've sense sold) and the racked up sextet of vintage API 312's we have at the studio. The output trim is godsend, I never liked the way my 3124+ sounded with the pad engaged, and with the trim I can still hit the input transformer for a little color but not overload the converter. Sounds really nice on things like cymbals and banjos where the top end can get a little nasty in the digital world. And the high pass filter is a great feature too. I wouldn't call the build easy, but there's a really great step by step guide. I highly recommend it, especially for the money it's a no brainer.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:47 am

Picked up some of those Monoprice MBS-650 speakers for the office - sound better than me old Optimus. (Getting 'em direct is much cheaper than Amazon, etc., especially if you qualify for free shipping.)

Also bought a used MXR super comp, and in a move I consider particularly good bought a new M-Track Plus II on sale to serve as my laptop sound card - I got it for $75 which is cheaper than the Dragonfly I had been considering ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:32 am

Picked up a couple nasty looking ASR10 keyboards for parts for....$20

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:31 am

I traded for a very nice Soundtracs Topaz 24. This is the second Topaz I've owned and I am very glad to have another. For the money, these consoles really sound great! I won't be replacing the Topaz again. Last time, I got a Ghost afterward and it was great but overall I think I prefer the Topaz.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:12 am

Ordered another CAPI VP28 kit and a used Focusrite 2802. Really excited to add analog summing and a control surface for mixing at home. I'm surprised it's not more popular...I think when it was sold by Audient is was maybe too expensive and now that it says Focusrite people shy away from it? I don't know...$1600 for 8 preamps, 8 motorized DAW or analog faders, 24 channels of summing at mix down, a stereo bus compressor, a center section, 2 stereo AUX sends plus a bunch of other stuff...hard to beat for the price

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:56 pm

Sean Sullivan wrote:
trodden wrote:
Sean Sullivan wrote:I just ordered a CAPI VP28 kit with GAR2520's. I really like the idea of an API preamp with an output fader.
That's on my list as well.
I'm really impressed with it. I prefer it to my API 3124+ (which I've sense sold) and the racked up sextet of vintage API 312's we have at the studio. The output trim is godsend, I never liked the way my 3124+ sounded with the pad engaged, and with the trim I can still hit the input transformer for a little color but not overload the converter. Sounds really nice on things like cymbals and banjos where the top end can get a little nasty in the digital world. And the high pass filter is a great feature too. I wouldn't call the build easy, but there's a really great step by step guide. I highly recommend it, especially for the money it's a no brainer.
Good to hear. My 3124 was my first "fancy" pre. I still use it, but I find other pres being used more that cost way less. I agree about the pad on the 3124. I figured I'd start with a couple VP26's and see how that goes, and then fill up a six space 500 chassis with 26's and 28's, and probably sell the 3124 to fund that.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:01 pm

getreel wrote:I traded for a very nice Soundtracs Topaz 24. This is the second Topaz I've owned and I am very glad to have another. For the money, these consoles really sound great! I won't be replacing the Topaz again. Last time, I got a Ghost afterward and it was great but overall I think I prefer the Topaz.
Still using my Soundtracs Topaz 32! However, over half of the preamps have died over the last 10 years. The the rest of the channel works, line/tape ins, so I'm mostly relying on outboard pres along with the 10-12 topaz pres and just using the board for bussing multiple mic on a source to one track when tracking, headphone mixes, and then using it for summing, eq'ing and various hybrids of analog and in the box mixing/summing. Since it's not modular, its a pain in the ass to get repaired, and too expensive to do so? So i'll probably keep on using just for mixing as the other pres slowly die..

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:02 pm

Sean Sullivan wrote:Ordered another CAPI VP28 kit and a used Focusrite 2802. Really excited to add analog summing and a control surface for mixing at home. I'm surprised it's not more popular...I think when it was sold by Audient is was maybe too expensive and now that it says Focusrite people shy away from it? I don't know...$1600 for 8 preamps, 8 motorized DAW or analog faders, 24 channels of summing at mix down, a stereo bus compressor, a center section, 2 stereo AUX sends plus a bunch of other stuff...hard to beat for the price
I've been looking at that.. especially due to my above post about my soundtracs.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:04 pm

Wish I could report on it trodden but the used one I got on eBay is DOA (won't even power on) But it's well built and very well thought I'd just wish I could hear how it sounds...

passnthru
pluggin' in mics

Post by passnthru » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:48 am

Have you tried re-seating the opamps in the channels? Did this a while ago for a AMR and it brought dead pre's back to life. Or swap it for a known working one. It could be a simple fix.
Best of luck.
JP

Still using my Soundtracs Topaz 32! However, over half of the preamps have died over the last 10 years. The the rest of the channel works, line/tape ins, so I'm mostly relying on outboard pres along with the 10-12 topaz pres and just using the board for bussing multiple mic on a source to one track when tracking, headphone mixes, and then using it for summing, eq'ing and various hybrids of analog and in the box mixing/summing. Since it's not modular, its a pain in the ass to get repaired, and too expensive to do so? So i'll probably keep on using just for mixing as the other pres slowly die..[/quote]
Now, tell me why did I do that?

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:55 pm

Finally added that Pod HD500X to my JTV89 Variax setup. Haven't spent a ton of time with it, but I think it will see a lot of use around here..

seanthomas46
audio school

Post by seanthomas46 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:15 pm

x > x < x
Last edited by seanthomas46 on Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:45 am, edited 4 times in total.
Life is and will ever remain an equation incapable of solution, but it contains certain known factors.

? Nikola Tesla
?A Machine to End War *? (Liberty, February, 1935)