Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:37 am

And then updated to BFD3 for $75 and loaded my HD500X with the rest of the model packs. Ok, I'm done.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:21 pm

floid wrote:anal delay
Not a lot of that going around after thanksgiving dinner, amiright?
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:53 pm

I just bought another set of Truth Audio monitors for the drivers. Spares, baby!!!

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:59 pm

Since last post, sold some things and built a pair of CAPI VP25's, bought a Neumann KM84 pair, AKG C451EB pair, AEA RPQ stereo preamp, a Danelectro baritone, EQD Park Fuzz, traded for a Devi Ever Soda Meiser, and upgraded to SoundToys 5.

Woo!

Digging around for a good deal on a Neumann U87 or FET47 Reissue or a pair of Josephson e22s
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:42 pm

Got some GC gift cards for the holidays so I celebrated the last day of the year by buying a Novation Circuit. So far I'm really digging it. I only just got to start playing with it about an hour and a half ago, but I got totally lost in it and I am already picking up the basics pretty quick. I can't wait to plug this thing into some of my other myths and have it sequence them as well as the internal sounds.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:27 am

Three-space SKB for $45...

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:28 am

Got a pair of those MXL R40 ribbons that were on MF's SDOTD. Maybe not the greatest mic in the world, but I like them. I mainly got them to have an alternate pair of drum mics, but surprised that I like the way they handle my voice, and so far the best mic I've heard on my 7 string baritone acoustic (tuned down to G#). One mic has what looks like a well tensioned ribbon, the other one is a bit loose?you can see it physically moving but it does not touch the mesh. Did not feel inspired to retension this one yet.

Also filled up my vintage 1st gen iPad with some apps?Audiobus, iMS20, iPolysix, iElectribe, Samplr...

Also got a Paul Vo Wond in the mail a few weeks ago from his Kickstarter, been playing with that.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:32 am

Quick mods on them ribbons (besides tightening the ribbon by loosing the mount screws on one end and using masking tape to stretch it) is to remove some of the windscreenage (needle-nose pliers worked for me on my MXL's) and even easier, stuff some rags in to the body.

FWIW, I love ribbons for M/S guitar (usually paired with some variant of a 57, lately one of a couple different old AKG's) but have found the MXL860 the most convenient for its size in my li'l bedio.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:27 pm

Hmm I'd not come across anyone suggesting the use of masking tape to stretch it. Sounds easy. I just didn't think the sound was bad enough to warrant the hassle. I had seen some people removing mesh, but some other folks said it made it worse?so I was up in the air on that.

Honestly not a huge fan of M/S miking, mono compatibility be damned, it tends to make me feel like my brain is being pulled out of my ears when I've tried it. Blumlein though, I remember liking, but its been awhile?

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:46 pm

I found masking tape to work well because it doesn't stick too hard to the ribbon if you just kinda set it on the very end of the ribbon with minimal pressure. Then you can actually attach the other end of the tape to the motor frame, and then screw it tight, hopefully with the tape not in it.

I like to use M/S on rhythm guitars, or on the lead, seldom both. If I do on both, I play with the panning and width.

OK, back to the regulary scheduled GAS thread! :twisted:

Eh, I got nuthin'. :(
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:42 am

Just got a bag of old cables from a friend who was cleaning out the closets. There was also a Sennheisser 735 in the pile. Looks like a stage vocal mic. 90's maybe? I can't find any info online beyond the manual.
Anybody have one? Do you like it on anything?

emenel
audio school graduate

Post by emenel » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:09 am

I had a good season for new gear.. picked up two used ULN-8's at a great deal and got Softube Console 1. I'm loving both. The ULN-8 is almost too flexible, I've spent so much time playing around with different workflow options.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:55 am

Continued the guitar pedal craze I've been in, but let some go as well. Picked up a LA-2A at a very nice price today...first of hopefully several big purchases this year. Grabbing a '75 Fender Princeton Reverb on Monday at an insanely nice price...not that I really need any more guitar stuff
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:33 am

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:Just got a bag of old cables from a friend who was cleaning out the closets. There was also a Sennheisser 735 in the pile. Looks like a stage vocal mic. 90's maybe? I can't find any info online beyond the manual.
While I don't have that particular model, I have a couple of the fiberglass Senn's in the 500 series. They are some of the best dynamics for vocals I've heard, kinda condensor-like.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:02 pm

vvv wrote:
A.David.MacKinnon wrote:Just got a bag of old cables from a friend who was cleaning out the closets. There was also a Sennheisser 735 in the pile. Looks like a stage vocal mic. 90's maybe? I can't find any info online beyond the manual.
While I don't have that particular model, I have a couple of the fiberglass Senn's in the 500 series. They are some of the best dynamics for vocals I've heard, kinda condensor-like.
Interesting. The 735 is fiberglass as well. I start work on new project next weekend. I'll have to give it a go.