Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vernier
pushin' record

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by vernier » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:20 pm

Most recently? ...fresh refill 99.9% isopropyl and long stick cotton swabs. YES ! ! !

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:09 pm

I got a Sennheiser/Apogee Ambeo “smart” headset https://en-us.sennheiser.com/finalstop

Primarily to have a self contained (iPhone plus headset) extremely portable thing for ambient recording, but also to goof around with binaural stuff and maybe bootleg some concerts too.

I haven’t experimented a whole lot yet, but initial tests are at least a significant upgrade from the iPhone mic. Earbuds sound good for general listening. Didn’t try the noise cancellation.

Downside is of course the lightning only connector, and it certainly should be treated gingerly.

I found it cheap unused on eBay.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:54 am

Jupiter intermediate alto sax on craigslist, JAS-769GN, made in Taiwan in 2006, in great shape, with case, strap, mouthpiece and extra reeds, for $20. Insane. The Yamaha 4C mouthpiece it came with is worth more than that. I'm not sure yet if I like it better than my Yamaha-made Vito, but it plays well and sounds good. These things go new on Amazon for $2300. They say these have little resale value, but this is extreme. I guess the seller was well-off enough not to bother trying to get the 350 to 400 or more these go for used. Fine with me. I haven't been playing enough lately... this oughta inspire me.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:24 am

Altec 1566a, i've wanted one for a while for bass and finally got one :)

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:04 am

In Black Friday consumerism I ended up with a cheap new Arturia Beatstep Pro, some magnetic breakaway USB cables, some flat pedal board cables, strings, cheap Trackspacer plugin (pretty cool for helping dense mixes), and the super discounted Samples from mars everything bundle.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:57 am

Pearlman 47

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:27 am

markjazzbassist wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:24 am
That looks cool; I have a 1598b (solid state) I like on guitars, some vox.

What does yers sound like, if ya can? Say, compared to a UA610 or a The Brick?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:01 am

vvv wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:27 am
markjazzbassist wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:24 am
That looks cool; I have a 1598b (solid state) I like on guitars, some vox.

What does yers sound like, if ya can? Say, compared to a UA610 or a The Brick?
i've recorded with both of those but don't own either. It sounds warm and thick, has a nice midrange (with both transformers, it disappears if you go Hi-Z i found) and the overdrive when pushed is just delightful. i was using a shure m67 which sounded nice, this has a darker top end, more mids, and a little more bottom extension. A pair of 12Ax7 tubes makes it easy to tube roll, i'm finding NOS RCA grey plates are cleaner sounding than the modern JJ's the previous owner had in it. Going to Tube roll next.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:52 am

I would think the M67 sounds a lot different? I would predict quicker, mebbe a little harder, possible a little more full range?

I like The Brick so much I've been defaulting to it the last few years, either DI or mic'ing a amp, with a VC3Q in parallel. If I'm not teetsfreakin'gonzo, I feel The Brick interacts with the bass, and my playing, inna pretty unique way. The VC3Q gives good bottom and I love opto-compression on bass - altho' I have a dbx 160XT on The Brick side for flexibility in mix down.

But I do love the Altec 1589b (I believe I got it from someone here), I reckon I'll try that on bass soon - looks damn cool, too, like yer 1566a, of it's time.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:09 pm

vvv wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:52 am
I would think the M67 sounds a lot different? I would predict quicker, mebbe a little harder, possible a little more full range?

I like The Brick so much I've been defaulting to it the last few years, either DI or mic'ing a amp, with a VC3Q in parallel. If I'm not teetsfreakin'gonzo, I feel The Brick interacts with the bass, and my playing, inna pretty unique way. The VC3Q gives good bottom and I love opto-compression on bass - altho' I have a dbx 160XT on The Brick side for flexibility in mix down.

But I do love the Altec 1589b (I believe I got it from someone here), I reckon I'll try that on bass soon - looks damn cool, too, like yer 1566a, of it's time.
i have a friend that loves the Brick on Bass, and another friend that loves the LA-610, sadly they don't live close for a shootout.

Your M67 tonal comments were close, the shure is quicker yes, and has more treble content. I didn't notice a full range thing, low end was similar. If anything the SHure was a little thinner. the Altec was just thicker with more mids and WAY more pleasing overdrive and a dark top end. Perfect for bass. Altec is spec'd to +- 1db at 30HZ, Shure is +- 2 db 30Hz, so no surprise the Altec is a little deeper there.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:12 pm

8)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:10 am

Curiosity got the best of me, so I ordered a Midas 500 series rack to troubleshoot against (have a cheesy Lindell rack on indefinite loan that has issues). As well as the Klark Teknik KT-2A.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:57 am

Couple weeks ago I got an OX box to use at home.
Fast, easy sound of my own amp.
Over the years I've had some good workarounds for doing electrics at home but nothing as good as this thing.

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:29 am

$27 Chinese B*gsby B7-ish bar for my $25 flea market Samick semi hollow guitar.
I was looking for one without the bar the strings go under, but settled for this one. Left the old tailpiece bushings in place (it seems
to sit level on them).

Previous refinements included tuners, Seymour Duncan P Rails and Triple Shot pickup ring/switch assemblies.

Not sure what's next, I'd like 2 volumes and tone, maybe the jack can be moved to the side (or the pickup switch moved to the upper bout).

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:37 am

roscoenyc wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:57 am
Couple weeks ago I got an OX box to use at home.
Fast, easy sound of my own amp.
Over the years I've had some good workarounds for doing electrics at home but nothing as good as this thing.

That Tele is BADASS! You should get a Nudie suite to match it!