Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:35 am

winky dinglehoffer wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:17 pm
I decided to go ahead and order a 1588C for the sake of comparison. I'll report back on any perceptible differences.
One of them provides 12volt phantom (or T power maybe). Not sure which one or if there are any other differences.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:01 am

1588c derives phantom internally (so way lower than 48v) and has a different transformer.
Village Idiot.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:03 pm

Bought an upgrade to my ancient Nuendo 1.52.

Had to wait until this year because THEY HAD NO UPGRADE PATH BEFORE.

LOL.

Waiting on Steinberg.de to do their thing.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:17 am

1980 Roland VK-09
1980 Korg CX-3

Battle of the vintage analog clonewheel organs. I can't fit a proper organ in my small studio space, so it's gotta be one of these. Had a friend that used a CX-3 in a band we were in and it sounded fantastic through a motion sound. I'm gonna put both these through their paces and then sell off the one that loses.

Zacharia Matilda
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Zacharia Matilda » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:50 am

Nice. I love the cx-3. Ive always wanted one. And I first heard them via an old band-mate as well. Let us know who wins!
dehumidified

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Post by Burnt Ernie » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:42 pm

Nice! Yes-Let us know,I need to find a decent keyboard
I am the Walnut

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:29 am

Neumann km183...I've been really fascinated by omni sdc's, and this one definitely gives me a different flavor over the Oktava mc012 and Mojave ma100's that I've got. I tracked some scratch acoustic guitar tracks with it the other night, and it's super bright up close on the instrument, but further back seems to chill out and capture a nicely balanced sound. I think it'll be a cool drum room mic as long as the room is halfway decent and the cymbals aren't bashed. Definitely the smoothest off-axis response out of the three omni sdc's that I've got. Wish I had a piano to try it out on.

Mark
tinnitus

Post by Mark » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:35 pm

The two pairs of audio cables (3m female XLR to 1/4" TRS and 1.5m male XLR to 1/4" TRS) I ordered on the 3rd of April are finally on their way to me :D

Update (01/07/2020). Cables arrived this AM :D
WWRHS?

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:14 pm

just got a Telefunken M80 to use on snare. I really like the M82 on kick and so far I like the M80 on snare too. I was using a 57 before. So far only got to test it on a "tight" snare but sounds like it has a bit more pop with the TFunk.

on a side note - I have 2 of the SE x1D mics. I have one that is almost permanent on outside kick... but I just tried one on an 18" floor tom and it sounded massive! I had first tried the Miktek PM11 (a bass drum mic) on it but decided to try the x1D instead. Yes! I may have to look for yet another (of these discontinued mics) for the other floor tom! I might even prefer it over the 421. :shock:
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:30 pm

Haven't bought anything for a minute due to reasons, and also putting some extra money into my car.

But today I ordered a Two Notes Cab M +. I already own the load box rackmount variant (Two Notes Torpedo Live) which is a very cool box that I use for amps. One of my immediate complaints about the Torpedo Live is that I can't have something (like my patchbay) always connected into the Line in AND the amp in, have to physically go behind the rack and unplug things. The Cab M + has the advantage of giving me basically another hardware IR box to use just straight out of pedals or synths or whatever, and the latest updates add a preamp section and tuner and such so it really becomes a pretty useful little box, with the bonus of being able to use my cabs that I've purchased already for the Live.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:57 pm

Bought a Shape Shifter tambo off the SDOTD; it adjusts between a full or half circle.

I bought it cuz it was fairly inexpensive, and I really dig how loose and shhh the bells are - records great and better that the wood ones I have.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:28 pm

Zacharia Matilda wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:50 am
Nice. I love the cx-3. Ive always wanted one. And I first heard them via an old band-mate as well. Let us know who wins!
the CX-3 won the B3 clone tone competition. looks and sounds great. The cool thing the Roland had going is it has Square wave (Bright) drawbars, you can get transistor organ sounds from. so it's got both the b3 clone sounds and farfisa type sounds ( you can mix them too). so if you need to cover both bases for cheap, that's the winner. if you just want a cheap analog B3 clone, the CX-3 is the winner IMO

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Post by alexdingley » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:11 am

I finally saved up a few months of gigs' worth of cash and bought my first purchase from VintageKing... I got a Rupert Neve Shelford Channel.

This is the first really high-end unit I've ever bought, and it absolutely blows me away. It's going to cause some very big problems in my romantic relationship, as I have a feeling I'm going to buy more than one over the next 5-10yrs...

So far, I've used it just for vocal tracking, and I've never heard a vocal (of mine) sound this good before.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:37 pm

alexdingley wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:11 am
I bought my first purchase from VintageKing... I got a Rupert Neve Shelford Channel.

This is the first really high-end unit I've ever bought,

I have a feeling I'm going to buy more than one over the next 5-10yrs...
Well, duh!;)

What mic pre on Picard's Flute/previous Deep Cuts?
Last edited by shedshrine on Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:46 pm

doble double down postal post