Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:59 pm

Some assembly required, but all the parts are here. Aside from maybe wanting a bit of fiberglass fluff to fill the cavity and soak up lows, assuming I don't cheap out and just use old socks or something.
IMG_1879.JPG
IMG_1879.JPG (33.97 KiB) Viewed 2276 times
IMG_1880.JPG
IMG_1880.JPG (32.84 KiB) Viewed 2276 times
These are still sort of prototypes, though I'm getting happier with my design. The more the merrier, so these will get used along with whatever nicer ones I build in the future.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:26 pm

Scodiddly wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:59 pm
These are still sort of prototypes, though I'm getting happier with my design. The more the merrier, so these will get used along with whatever nicer ones I build in the future.
cool, let us know how they work out
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Scodiddly

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:45 pm

Prototype #0, which was longer than the two shown, did a great job killing a particular flutter echo in my living room. But I need more, MOAR!!!

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:13 pm

Carl Martin Envelope Filter - really good, bumped the EBS, still behind the Aguilar, about even with the Dr. Green.

I have a modded EHX that is still the best, tho'.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

jmann
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jmann » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:57 pm

Scodiddly wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:45 pm
Prototype #0, which was longer than the two shown, did a great job killing a particular flutter echo in my living room. But I need more, MOAR!!!
Those look cool. Can I ask what the materials are, and how you determined the exact size?

Scodiddly

Post by Scodiddly » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:47 pm

jmann wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:57 pm
Scodiddly wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:45 pm
Those look cool. Can I ask what the materials are, and how you determined the exact size?
Materials are 1/4" plywood for the base, thin strips of pine for the frame, and 1/8" hardboard (aka Masonite) for the curved surface. I'm mostly improvising on the dimensions, though. Working with stuff I already had lying around, though eventually I'll get a couple more 4x8' sheets and build a few more based on getting the most out of the materials.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:21 pm

Yeah, I'm bored, so here's a thought:
What if, instead of straight masonite, you used pegboard? And then filled the cavity with fiberglass or recycled denim insulation or whatever? And then, to make things doubly deflective, you nail curved or angled pieces of corner to the plywood sheet so that any audio that passes through gets bounced back in weird directions?

Seems ridiculous, and I have no idea if any of my "innovations" would improve on a simple, cheap, effective concept, but it wouldn't be significantly more expensive or time-consuming to make, and have I mentioned that I'm bored?

jmann
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jmann » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:53 am

Scodiddly wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:47 pm
jmann wrote:

Materials are 1/4" plywood for the base, thin strips of pine for the frame, and 1/8" hardboard (aka Masonite) for the curved surface. I'm mostly improvising on the dimensions, though. Working with stuff I already had lying around, though eventually I'll get a couple more 4x8' sheets and build a few more based on getting the most out of the materials.
Thanks! Rough dimensions? Are they like 24 x 48"?

Scodiddly

Post by Scodiddly » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:06 am

jmann wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:53 am
Scodiddly wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:47 pm
jmann wrote:

Thanks! Rough dimensions? Are they like 24 x 48"?
More like 16" square. I think I'm going to build some bigger ones but made of smaller sections like these, so I can just lean them against a wall instead of having to mount them. The bigger they get the harder it is to wrangle the curved section into place.

In general the main two rules about "polycylindrical" diffusers is that you want to have some different sizes, and if the ones on this wall are vertical, then make them horizontal on the next wall.

Scodiddly

Post by Scodiddly » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:11 am

winky dinglehoffer wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:21 pm
Yeah, I'm bored, so here's a thought:
What if, instead of straight masonite, you used pegboard? And then filled the cavity with fiberglass or recycled denim insulation or whatever? And then, to make things doubly deflective, you nail curved or angled pieces of corner to the plywood sheet so that any audio that passes through gets bounced back in weird directions?

Seems ridiculous, and I have no idea if any of my "innovations" would improve on a simple, cheap, effective concept, but it wouldn't be significantly more expensive or time-consuming to make, and have I mentioned that I'm bored?
This project is coming mostly from boredom, so no worries!

I'm not the expert, but as I understand it the highs get diffused, mids diffused if the panel is bigger, and lows pass through the curved section to be absorbed by fiberglass or something inside. Not sure what perforations would do, but perforated surfaces are a big thing in architectural design. There's a new building at the nearby university with a huge atrium, and you'd expect it to be the usual fishbowl of terrible acoustics. Instead, it's got really good acoustics. You can have a conversation with somebody on a different balcony without even straining to hear them.

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Post by alexdingley » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:17 am

Got bored, and have been doing tons of studio maintenance projects / upgrades over the COVID-19 year. Finally just bought a pair of Xformers from Jensen to modify my two Eureka preamps. (did the op-amp upgrade over the summer) — the folks at Jensen were nice enough to provide a huge text work-up on the modification (they've put a lot of thought into this particular mod) and they gave me instructions + provided two 15K resistors and guidance on how to swap out a surface mount resistor with what they've provided. Dave @ Jensen was Super helpful!

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:47 am

Man, I love the Eureka; I look forward to yer reporting on the mod(s).

May I suggest you do some audio before-and-afters - say using the same mic and sound source (keys, a vocal recording, a drum - whatever you use them for).

Do I recall correctly that installing the trannies loses some functionality of the stock?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:18 am

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Post by alexdingley » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:45 pm

vvv wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:47 am
Man, I love the Eureka; I look forward to yer reporting on the mod(s).

May I suggest you do some audio before-and-afters - say using the same mic and sound source (keys, a vocal recording, a drum - whatever you use them for).

Do I recall correctly that installing the trannies loses some functionality of the stock?
Definitely gonna do some before/after. I actually have two units... prolly gonna just do only one, and then run a side by side comparison depending on how tricky the one is to complete.

As for losing functionality... “sort of” is (I believe) the correct answer; the guidance I was given was to basically ignore the impedance dial and leave it set to 2.5K full time after the x-former change.

It’ll likely be weeks before I do the mod. I’m also gonna see if I kept the original Op-Amp chips, from when I swapped those, last year. It’s be fun to run a fully-modded vs fully stock comparison

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:54 pm

8)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.