Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:33 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:23 am
Recycled_Brains wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:19 am
Picked up a pair of Neumann NDH20 headphones because I have some sessions coming up where I won't have a dedicated control room for monitoring, and my current reference pair are open-backed (ath-r70x... amazing).

I don't know if there is something wrong with them or what, but man, they do not sound good to me at all. Definitely sending them back.
Let me know how you like the Neumanns. Since getting Nuendo, I am beginning to get into Ambisonics mixing. So I too shall need a quality set of sonic earmuffs.
Did you read my post? haha.

I hate them.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:39 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:
Recycled_Brains wrote:
Picked up a pair of Neumann NDH20 headphones because I have some sessions coming up where I won't have a dedicated control room for monitoring, and my current reference pair are open-backed (ath-r70x... amazing).

I don't know if there is something wrong with them or what, but man, they do not sound good to me at all. Definitely sending them back.
Let me know how you like the Neumanns. Since getting Nuendo, I am beginning to get into Ambisonics mixing. So I too shall need a quality set of sonic earmuffs.
I recommend some quality in-ears if you're monitoring binaurally. Those seem to give me the most accurate spatial sound, but open-back headphones are definitely more comfy for longer periods.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:22 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:
is there a break-in period on those?

I've got some of the DT 770 Pro (250) phones i like (after many years with Sony MDR-7506) for occasional reference.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:20 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:22 am
Recycled_Brains wrote:
is there a break-in period on those?

I've got some of the DT 770 Pro (250) phones i like (after many years with Sony MDR-7506) for occasional reference.
I mean, there's no way a break-in period would make it so suddenly they have any balls whatsoever. Not so dramatically anyway. They sound like NS10's to me.

I actually swapped for the 770 Pro. I had a pair many years ago and loved them. My open back AT's are wonderful. Mixes translate well with them and the back and forth between them and my dynaudios doesn't really reveal any big surprises. The Neumann's were so different sounding that there is no way I would be able to go back and forth for checking stuff without losing my mind and 2nd guessing everything.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:22 pm

Booked a second shot! Not exactly gear but does mean that I will be able to put microphones in front of real people again soon.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:44 pm

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:22 pm
Booked a second shot! Not exactly gear but does mean that I will be able to put microphones in front of real people again soon.
It'll be the most useful thing you have stabbed into your body all year.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:15 am

I'm demoing 3 Josephson E22S at my place this week because somehow I have a shop in town that actually carries Josephson, and not only insists that I try one before I buy it, but instead that I enjoy the experience of having 3 setup, 2 on toms and one on snare.

Hopefully I don't get hooked, cause it would take me ages to put together my own set of 3.

Zacharia Matilda
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Zacharia Matilda » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:07 pm

Crafty salespeople!
dehumidified

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:18 am

Well it worked, I'm pretty stunned with those things.

On snare it's a very good, and different flavor than my go-to 201. The hi hat rejection and placement is more of a difference than the tone, which is also great. I could probably wait forever to pull the trigger on a third one for that purpose seeing as it's 3 or 4 times the price of a 201.

But holy shit, best tom mic ever.

I also got a nice acoustic guitar sound, am trying it on electric guitar today, and am putting it up against my favorite vocal mic to see what I can learn.

So far I have to say it's a very even mic. It doesn't sound like there are any weird peaks. It's open without being bright, and has authoritative low/low mids without sounding dark. Not neutral.

At any rate, I'm ordering 1 because that's all I can afford!

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:19 am

I have a bunch of acoustic gigs lately, so I've gotten both a DW foot tambourine, and a Meinl foot cabasa. Today's rehearsal will be the first time with both...

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:22 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:33 am
Nick Sevilla wrote:
Recycled_Brains wrote:

Did you read my post? haha.

I hate them.
I'll also check out the D770's (250ohm). LOL.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:57 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:22 am

I bought DT770s recently, mostly because of fond memories of trying them out many years ago, & because they're a lot cheaper than they used to be. When my kid tried them on, he was like, "Wow, those sound good!" Which is what's great & not-so-great about them. The mids are a bit recessed, I think--certainly compared to the Yamaha HPH-MT5s they replaced--which makes it a little more difficult to suss out midrange issues--but they do allow me to hear issues in the high/high-mid range much bettter than the Yammies. As I get more comfortable with them, it gets easier to figure stuff out on them. And of course I have monitors and those semi-broken Yamahas to help sort stuff out as well.

Also, I like the roominess of the earcups on the 770s--very comfy for me.

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:08 pm

drumsound wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:19 am
I have a bunch of acoustic gigs lately, so I've gotten both a DW foot tambourine, and a Meinl foot cabasa. Today's rehearsal will be the first time with both...
I've also been known to take a loop of velcro and tie a few shakers around my ankle... those little foot tambourines are great though. I've got the Meinl version that straps to your foot. But after a few of these gigs i really want to play real drums! so I don't take a lot of thee kind of gigs. interested to see what you think after a few weeks. :lol:
Mike

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:12 pm

Nick Sevilla wrote:
check out the prices at proaudiostar.com. especially the open-box prices (which may or may not really be opened...)
Mike

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:43 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:12 pm
Nick Sevilla wrote:
check out the prices at proaudiostar.com. especially the open-box prices (which may or may not really be opened...)
I will, thanks.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.