Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by vvv » Sun May 29, 2022 10:06 am

A Mimiq pedal, what I hope to use this weekend.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Sun May 29, 2022 1:42 pm

losthighway wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 7:09 am
I just bought my second Symetrix 501 toggle version. I hadn't planned on getting one but I've had an Overstayer SVC on order for about 7 months and I've become fixated on having a grindy stereo thing for parallel drums. I've got a heap of mixing to do so I'm going to try stereo linking a couple 501s.
Rad. I've often thought of getting a second as well... but then i just throw the decapitator on everything.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun May 29, 2022 10:18 pm

I got a deal on a Sterling Audio ST31. Jim Williams has turned a lot of people on to them. It's a hypercardioid condenser. I want to use it on snare.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon May 30, 2022 1:18 pm

drumsound wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 10:18 pm
I got a deal on a Sterling Audio ST31. Jim Williams has turned a lot of people on to them. It's a hypercardioid condenser. I want to use it on snare.
Right on, and totally affordable as well! I'm just realizing that I've not bought a mic since 2018.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon May 30, 2022 5:59 pm

trodden wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 1:18 pm
drumsound wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 10:18 pm
Right on, and totally affordable as well! I'm just realizing that I've not bought a mic since 2018.
You poor soul!

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Tue May 31, 2022 1:27 pm

Just heard about these, and had to try them... arrived today. Magma Transpositor strings. They're for nylon string guitar, and they're tuned an octave down from normal, but with normal tension. Just like normal nylon strings, they take a while to settle into tune. Did a quick little demo: http://www.ubertar.com/creot/nylon_bass.wav
I put on a little compression and a touch of reverb, that's it. No eq. Mic'd with a 57 laying on the desk in front of me, where I'm sitting now, pointing more or less at the sound hole from about 6 inches away. At first I had it pointing where the neck meets the body, but I was getting too much string noise.

I guess I could rip out and fill in the frets if I want to go for the full upright sound, we'll see if I feel like I need that at some point... it's fine as-is for now. :D

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue May 31, 2022 4:12 pm

ubertar wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 1:27 pm
Just heard about these, and had to try them... arrived today. Magma Transpositor strings. They're for nylon string guitar, and they're tuned an octave down from normal, but with normal tension. Just like normal nylon strings, they take a while to settle into tune. Did a quick little demo: http://www.ubertar.com/creot/nylon_bass.wav
I put on a little compression and a touch of reverb, that's it. No eq. Mic'd with a 57 laying on the desk in front of me, where I'm sitting now, pointing more or less at the sound hole from about 6 inches away. At first I had it pointing where the neck meets the body, but I was getting too much string noise.

I guess I could rip out and fill in the frets if I want to go for the full upright sound, we'll see if I feel like I need that at some point... it's fine as-is for now. :D
Holy crap! That looks and sounds amazing. I may need to get another classical just to try this out.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue May 31, 2022 4:55 pm

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 4:12 pm
ubertar wrote:

Holy crap! That looks and sounds amazing. I may need to get another classical just to try this out.
RIGHT?

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Tue May 31, 2022 7:32 pm

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 4:12 pm
ubertar wrote:

I wonder if they'll do the same on a baritone uke? I don't have a nylon string around at the moment that isn't a uke.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:17 am

update on the transpositor strings: I love how these sound, but unfortunately, the low E has unraveled near the tuner... the wrap has come undone from the core. There's not enough length to retune it. I emailed the company to see if they'd send me a replacement. I haven't heard back yet. I epoxied the wrap to the core in that spot last night and it held to tune it this morning, but broke later on when I was playing it. The other strings still haven't settled into tune.
I have another, smaller, nylon string guitar, that I had given my daughter to play. She never did, and didn't take good care of it either, so I'm reappropriating it. :D
Since it's smaller, there will be enough length left on the string to salvage it. With the shorter length it will take less tension to get the strings tuned up, too, so hopefully this will work out well. I replaced the plastic nut and bridge with bone to try to get a decent tone out of this thing... it's a no-name Chinese made guitar, but had decent intonation which is why I bought it originally.

Going to get this all going later today, just wanted to let people know before they run out to buy these strings. They sound so good, but that doesn't mean much if they break after a day. Maybe it would have been better to have tuned it down to D.

edit: so, I've now got the strings on the little guitar. Much less tension... I think they'll last better and stay in tune better. It's much quieter and doesn't sound as good though. I did another quick recording... same setup but I put the mic about an inch away from the guitar, laying on my leg. Needed a bit of eq and more compression this time to get it to sound good. I could spend more time on it to get it to sound better if this was in actual piece of music. The other one was just effortless. Maybe I'll get another set and try again at some point, but these strings aren't cheap. Hmm.
http://www.ubertar.com/creot/nylon_bass2.wav

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:11 pm

TCE Mimiq: these are hard to find right now altho' they are supposed to be available again in July. I found one for a good used price after a month of looking. It does a cool ADT thing with clean guitars what is why I wanted it. (Can be heard here: https://vlayman.bandcamp.com/track/sensibilities.)

DSM Omnicab Mini: it's a cab simulator that I need to work with more - I have much cheaper cab sims that so far sound just as good or better (Shaper, Cab Dry, Micro Cab), and this one is mono.

Seymour Duncan Dirty Deed: total sleeper, just replaced a boutique Superfuzz clone on my live board (gotta jam coming this weekend), this is just a fine, solid full-frequency distortion - almost the opposite of the Superfuzz, does a good Stones to, yep, AC/DC sound.

JHS Reverb: I also have the Fuzz what is good. The Reverb is fun, useful pre-delay switch and it can oscillate.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:18 pm

First new thang in a while -- ordered a used RED DI today, should have it next week. I've played bass through the REDDI at other studios, now I'm a-gonna have one here.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:33 pm

A Fender Jazzmaster Pro, in Miami Blue. Hae not had a guitar with those pickups before, I am looking forward to it.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:31 am

A cheap (AD Musica) fretless 5 string J bass.
Action seems reasonable, I'll need to draw some lines on it that I can ignore while playing out of tune.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:35 am

Not directly music related, but I updated my power tools, and their batteries.

I'll be able to change up my console stand, as now I am sitting way too far behind, so I need to tuck the console
under a flying bridge with 8 rack slots, 4 per side. This means buying some more oak boards, longer ones, and repurposing the rest of the wood.

I also want to build one small rolling desk thing to hold the Avid Control, and possibly the laptop as well.
Or build a small stand that fits on top of the console for the laptop.

Currently, I have a wide piece of white MDL functioning as a desk extension in front of the console, but it feels too deep,
it is a chore to reach out to the outboard gear in front of me LOL.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.