Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by vvv » Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:40 am

I got some pedals.

Surprise! :twisted:

The EQD Westwoood made it onto my main bass board (knocked off the HE Oso) - very flexible drive with excellent EQ.

The Boss Waza DM2W may make it on the guitar board - I love delays and delays with reverb (currently T-Rex Creamer) but this one sounds really good, thick analog or a more modern setting.

Lovepedal Superlead- because it's Lovepedal and that guy makes terrific drives that you can (and I do) use as modelers.

Hotone Skyline: small, inexpensive, simple cab emulator I haven't tried yet.

Rowin Flanger - because it's a great value that also works on bass (I now have two) - about 60% of the price and a little lower level than the Mooer E-Lady but sounds close, clones of the EHX Elec Mistress which is like 3x or more the price (depending on version).

Top 'o the page toya's!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:30 am

I guess it's actually been a few months since I bought it, but I didn't really start using it until last week. sE V7 BFG microphone. So that's the Billy F Gibbons signature model, which I don't think is supposed to sound any different than a regular V7 but it looks fun (shiny chrome, purple windscreen). Then again who cares what it looks like, I'm using it in the studio. anyway, I put this on snare duty (temporarily removing the Telefunken M80 that I usually use) and Wow! It sounds really good. So good that I haven't put the M80 back yet. Maybe soon, or maybe not. definitely a lot fuller bodied sound than a 57 and more high end - not quite condenser like, but much more than a 57. Maybe even slightly more than the M80. V7's are pretty reasonable too ( I think I could buy 3 vs one new M80).
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:36 pm

vvv wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:40 am

The EQD Westwoood made it onto my main bass board (knocked off the HE Oso) - very flexible drive with excellent EQ.
I've heard that thing does the degrees of subtle drive plus boost thing, Klon style, really well.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:17 pm

So much is said to be Klon-ish, I can't say.

Just gotta Lovepedal COT -great drive but always a little dirty. But especially cool for Tele rhythm thru a Fender amp.

And got a EVH phaser, but I like the EHX Hendrix better because it's stronger and bassier. I have the Phase 95 on my main live guitar board.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jitters » Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:32 am

I was shopping for keyboard sounds (B3 clav, wurli etc.) and ended up catching a really good deal on the Atruria V collection which includes not only all of that, but a boatload of classic synths. I needed to update my midi controller too, so I went ahead and bought their 61 key Keylab based on build quality and the integration with the V collection. I debated between the Keylab and the Keystep, thinking that I would want to have a hardware sequencer with all of those synths laying around, but ended up getting the Keylab and a Beatstep for sequencer duties. So, long story short, I guess I'm going to be entering my electronic music phase. Didn't see that coming, but why not?

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:06 pm

We bought a $199 Fender Squier "Tele 51" and had the shop string it up Nashville style. Can't wait to use it on seasons! I haven't even plugged the guitar into an amp yet!
tele nashville 1.jpeg
tele nashville 1.jpeg (53.17 KiB) Viewed 6542 times
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:01 am

TapeOpLarry wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:06 pm
We bought a $199 Fender Squier "Tele 51" and had the shop string it up Nashville style. Can't wait to use it on seasons! I haven't even plugged the guitar into an amp yet!tele nashville 1.jpeg
Nice! High strung guitar is always a great instrument.to have in the studio. Mine ends up getting used on everything. Hearing it in the hands of a great finger picked is something else.
If you want to double down on the chime-yness swap the low E 6th string for an unwould high E and tune it the same as the 1st string. You end up with a bit of a ukulele reentrant tuning vibe.

I'm a real sucker for oddball and novelty instruments. My place is bursting with them - nashville tuned, 9 string guitar, rubber bridge guitar, electric Taishogoto, ronrocco, octave guitar..... anything that makes a recording sound a bit different.
Now if I only had space for a tac piano ....

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:17 am

Yeah, we have a lot of funny stuff, like cheap Rogue sitar guitar, Squier VI bass, flat wound-only Hamer bass, Danelectro Baritone. Stylophone!
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:49 am

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:01 am
Nice! High strung guitar is always a great instrument.to have in the studio. Mine ends up getting used on everything. Hearing it in the hands of a great finger picked is something else.
If you want to double down on the chime-yness swap the low E 6th string for an unwould high E and tune it the same as the 1st string. You end up with a bit of a ukulele reentrant tuning vibe.
I think that's the variant of Nashville tuning that was used on Pink Floyd's "Hey You", if wikipedia is right.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nashville ... gh_strung)

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:29 pm

Indonesian stuff is getting really good ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Post by alexdingley » Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:20 am

I haven't 100% acquired this yet, but my buddy just 3D printed a set of Universal Audio UAD-2 Satellite rack brackets for me. Someone else created a set of downloadable plans, so we tried them out. Can't wait to try them out.

Here's a link to the plans we downloaded, if anyone else wants to try printing these out.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:22 am

TapeOpLarry wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:17 am
Yeah, we have a lot of funny stuff, like cheap Rogue sitar guitar, Squier VI bass, flat wound-only Hamer bass, Danelectro Baritone. Stylophone!
I always wondered about those Rogue sitar guitars, how are they?

-it's a cheap guitar with he Gotoh weird bridge. works!

https://reverb.com/item/3917845-gotoh-b ... tar-guitar

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Post by alexdingley » Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:38 pm

So yeah... I'm pretty late to the party on this, but I got a Pair of NS-10s and a Hafler amp to run them.

So far — so good.

Calaverasgrande
ass engineer

Post by Calaverasgrande » Tue May 02, 2023 7:33 am

Finally joined the Elektron Octatrack club.
It's kind of an absurdly deep piece of gear you can use in a number of ways.
Wish there were more how-to vids that weren't focused on just making house/jungle etc.
Also picked up a MOTU M4 since my previous 8 year old portable interface no longer is supported by drivers.
The M4 sounds a lot better than I expected for the price and it being buss powered.
Though I do have to run the headphone amp pretty much flat out to drive my DT770s.
Haven't recorded into it yet so can't comment on that, but as far as playback it's pretty damn good and it has MIDI jacks!

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sun May 07, 2023 12:48 pm

Arturia MiniBrune SE (used - thanks Trodden!). First time I've fooled around with a little monosynth since... well, I dunno. Probably my brother's MiniMoog some 30 years ago. I've got it next to my computer keyboard and it's fun to try out different sounds and see where things go.

The only real complaint is that the aftertouch is not very consistent across the keys, so it's hard to control. But everything else is pretty cool.