Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:18 am

got a 3pk of ATM230's tom mics. quick comparison (against my MD421's) so far, reveal a nice, fat tone (without any EQ yet) and cymbal bleed was reduced - which is what really interested me in these. Slightly hotter output than the 421s. I got them on a BF deal - sorta... (no tax and free shipping too) so I'll try them on a couple drum sessions today and if I like them, then I'll sell 2 or 3 of my 421's (I have 4) and selling one almost pays for the 3pk of ATM230s. oh, and these are much smaller than a 421, they have a built-in mic mount and if you accidentally bump the mic, it doesn't just fall off the mount (IYKYK). I won't use the mounts (that go on a drum rim) as I don't like the sound that transmits through them - I'll use stands. But for a live show, they would probably be fine.
I also have a pair of sE Electronics SE8 mics on the way (one more day...) and looking forward to using these for stringed instruments and more.

I've been doing a bunch of "re-shuffling" and re-thinking of the gear I have. I had some redundancy in "sounds" - I guess is the best way to describe it - but mostly in mics that I felt sorta did the same thing as the other. Or I found that I didn't need certain features (for example, I was using a pair of AKG C451Bs on hihat and ride. I sold them and now I'm using a different pair of SDCs that I already had there instead, and used that money toward a different mic that I wanted/needed to fill a gap (in capability) - and I got a United Technologies Twin87 (for when I want a U87 type sound).
Last edited by digitaldrummer on Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:47 am

re: gear re-shuffling

i am also constantly re-evaluating what i have and finding and remove redundancies. i'm trying to do the most with the least and using proceeds for other needs. the life of the bedroom studio person :)

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:24 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:18 am
oh, and these are much smaller than a 421, they have a built-in mic mount and if you accidentally bump the mic, it doesn't just fall off the mount (IYKYK).
You don't know about the safety pin trick with 421's? If you thread a safety pin (or a paper clip, or a bit of old guitar string) under the clip, it'll lock the mic to the clip!

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:32 pm

Scodiddly wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:24 pm
You don't know about the safety pin trick with 421's? If you thread a safety pin (or a paper clip, or a bit of old guitar string) under the clip, it'll lock the mic to the clip!
a small zip-tie works really well too - that's how I've got them setup now, but it's still annoying! after all these years such a poor design.
Mike

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:33 pm

markjazzbassist wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:47 am
re: gear re-shuffling

i am also constantly re-evaluating what i have and finding and remove redundancies. i'm trying to do the most with the least and using proceeds for other needs. the life of the bedroom studio person :)
I'm never in it to be a "collector"
Mike

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:11 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:18 am
got a 3pk of ATM230's tom mics. quick comparison (against my MD421's) so far, reveal a nice, fat tone (without any EQ yet) and cymbal bleed was reduced - which is what really interested me in these. Slightly hotter output than the 421s. I got them on a BF deal - sorta... (no tax and free shipping too) so I'll try them on a couple drum sessions today and if I like them, then I'll sell 2 or 3 of my 421's (I have 4) and selling one also pays for the 3pk of ATM230s. oh, and these are much smaller than a 421, they have a built-in mic mount and if you accidentally bump the mic, it doesn't just fall off the mount (IYKYK). I won't use the mounts (that go on a drum rim) as I don't like the sound that transmits through them - I'll use stands. But for a live show, they would probably be fine.
Nice. When I found a third ATM-25, I ended up sellling two of my four 421s. I held onto the beat and dented 421s and sold the new condition pair for more than I bought them for! (Sweetwater and a ridiculous deal a couple of years ago, $200 for a 421) Due to size and the ridiculous 421 mount, I found myself liking the ATM-25s in the same places as 421s. Seems these ATM-230s are just as convenient if not more due to being a little smaller!

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:58 am

I like my 421 II on bass amp

I like my 421n on vocals

are the 25's or 230's suitable for those purposes?

googling mostly says they are "drum" or "instruments" mics)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:04 am

vvv wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:58 am
I like my 421 II on bass amp

I like my 421n on vocals

are the 25's or 230's suitable for those purposes?

googling mostly says they are "drum" or "instruments" mics)
I keep two around for either bass amp, guitar amp, additional percussion. The ATM-25's work just as well in those apps, and there are those times where the drummer has 4-5 fucking toms. or I'm mic'ing two separate bass cabs (one clean and one dirty for example). I also seem to use an re-20 on bass more often than 421, but I like having a few redundancies.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:54 pm

Cool - sometimes I record remotely, so that info might be handy.

And yeah, with a RE on bass, but mine's a 10+ y,o. RE320, and I have it onna frankensteined cab powered by a PF50t.

I've gone thru using some Chinese LDC's to a SM7b to a Peavey 520i on that. Now I go between a RE320 or a MD 421 II because I have live a drummer I'm using and his kick is mic'd with a Senn 602 (whatever's the cheaper version of the 902).

That's how this is done:
https://vlayman.bandcamp.com/album/pron ... omtom-a-3p

It's sloppy live playing with overdubs.

I did think about setting up the SM7b one day for the live vox (I'm using a SE V7 I just bought) just to impress the punters but then thought "f- that, too much bloody effort".
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:07 pm

I have a Miktek PM11 that I bought when Sweetwater was clearing them out once (for 99 I think) - not sure why as they still carry the PM10 - but anyway, it's supposed to be a "natural" sounding bass drum mic, but it works really nicely on bass amp too. Miktek is selling them directly for $149. https://www.miktekaudio.com/pm11/
Mike

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:10 pm

I like the Senns' baked-in sound, scooped

I like the 603 better than the 903 - been using it about 10 years now

just finished recording/jamming - new gear worked good

used a AKG D1000 on snare, Studio Projects C3's as OH's , toed in 90 degrees and about 4' above the mid-tom pointing at the drummer

we did pedals into T-21 sims, as well - I am doing ruff mixes and da Bears just won 8)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:21 pm

vvv wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:10 pm
I like the Senns' baked-in sound, scooped
If i'm doing a metal or punk record (which is 90% of what I do) the e602 (first version) is always in the kick. It does the sound that I need. There's always an outside of kick mic as well, some sort of LDC. I've recently started using a Beta 91 for inside kick, since I use that or a D112 for live sound. I think I like it. One less stand is always nice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:13 pm

8)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:59 pm

I just ordered a Sequential Take Five polyphonic synth.

I've been hankering for one for ages. I've become something of a gear camel in middle age: 1-2 new pieces a year at most, so when I actually buy it's really exciting. Can't wait to explore the voices and textures.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:01 am

losthighway wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:59 pm
I just ordered a Sequential Take Five polyphonic synth.

I've been hankering for one for ages. I've become something of a gear camel in middle age: 1-2 new pieces a year at most, so when I actually buy it's really exciting. Can't wait to explore the voices and textures.
It’s tempting for sure. No more studio space at my house though.