Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by trodden » Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:57 pm

vvv wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:19 pm
I'm a single guy, make a buck, spend my off time and $ on TV, food and booze and weed, and music, and those friends wanna join me.

I'm somewhat embarrassed to say how much I spend on gear but, I'm comfortable withit.

I think I bought a cuppla tube amps and basses on Reverb last year, mebbe a guitar, I have no idear how many pedals, and some cables, music stands, mic stands, etc, but likely more than on the Ebog. I bought a LA2 clone there, too ...

This BS, I told 'em to close my account.

I don't think they did, tho', because I did get two positive reviews last week (one for the second Vox, one for a pedal). :twisted:
I'd be spending a hell a lot more money on gear if I also didn't have a loan for a brand new roof to pay for on top of the loan for the new electrical install (100 year-old house woes) plus massive credit card debt from darker times!!! Luckily I have no kids, and was able to buy a house for a mortgage rate that's much less than the average rental price for this overpriced, faceless corporate tech bro, shit hole that Seattle has become.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:20 am

trodden wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:57 pm
this overpriced, faceless corporate tech bro, shit hole that Seattle has become.
damn, i didn't realize it had gone to shit that fast. it was a cool funky city, i loved seattle, beautiful nature too. sad to hear they lost their soul. probably raze the hendrix museum and put up some monument to Bezos next

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:05 am

Bought a Digidesign 192 and extra analog input card, for my old TDM HD3 system. I had sold off the converters to get the Focusrite Rednet 2 with a discount back a few years ago.

Mostly because I miss mixing with my UAD DSP plugins, and it looks like they are going to take forever to port them over to Native.

Also, my Macbook pro's battery has been warning me for months that it needs servicing. So I'll be using the old Pro Tool sTDM 10 in the meantime while that gets repaired / replaced.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:42 am

Just bought a bunch of mic stands and boy was I rethinking my life choices when it came time to push "complete order" and saw the total.

Anyways. They're nice. I'm sick of bullshit cheap stands that sag and rattle and break every other session.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:57 pm

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:42 am
Just bought a bunch of mic stands and boy was I rethinking my life choices when it came time to push "complete order" and saw the total.

Anyways. They're nice. I'm sick of bullshit cheap stands that sag and rattle and break every other session.
Can you share what you got? I just got an EV RE20 mic, it's about 4 lbs, my cheap stand's boom is hard to get tight enough not to rotate under the weight. I am undecided on tripod vs. heavy base, but would definitely like a better "boom tightening" mechanism.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:20 am

I know this was question for Ryan (and I'm also curious what he got), but....

when I needed something sturdier than the regular tripod and I did not want to spend the $ for another Ultimate MC-125, I got one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SVRLPYY

The stand is sturdy and light. The boom was OK, but not that great. I eventually replaced it with https://www.amazon.com/Gator-Frameworks ... C-MINIBM16

and no, it's not nearly as maneuverable as the MC-125 and won't extend nearly as far either, but it's sturdier than a standard tripod (more like a light speaker stand/tripod) and less $

(check Amazon for "warehouse" like new and save $, or just shop around)
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:39 am

CraigS63 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:57 pm
Recycled_Brains wrote:

Can you share what you got? I just got an EV RE20 mic, it's about 4 lbs, my cheap stand's boom is hard to get tight enough not to rotate under the weight. I am undecided on tripod vs. heavy base, but would definitely like a better "boom tightening" mechanism.
Tama Iron Works Studio series. The last place I worked had 2 and they were BY FAR the best stands we had. It'll hold your RE20 for sure. I know your woes because I'm used to checking on that mic specifically between every take to make sure it's not pointing at the floor. Sick of shit like that.

The Tamas are solid, heavy, stay right where they're supposed to once you lock em in and compared to the LOLOL cost of Triad or Latchlake or whatever, the price point is easy enough to swallow. I can't imagine the duct tape will be coming out anytime soon.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:39 pm

markjazzbassist wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:20 am
trodden wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:57 pm
this overpriced, faceless corporate tech bro, shit hole that Seattle has become.
damn, i didn't realize it had gone to shit that fast. it was a cool funky city, i loved seattle, beautiful nature too. sad to hear they lost their soul. probably raze the hendrix museum and put up some monument to Bezos next
I love the wilderness outside of it, definitely, and that's why I'll never leave the pacific northwest.
I've just been here for 24 years and miss how it was 2000-2010. I'm cranky.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:43 pm

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:39 am
CraigS63 wrote:
Recycled_Brains wrote:

Tama Iron Works Studio series. The last place I worked had 2 and they were BY FAR the best stands we had. It'll hold your RE20 for sure. I know your woes because I'm used to checking on that mic specifically between every take to make sure it's not pointing at the floor. Sick of shit like that.

The Tamas are solid, heavy, stay right where they're supposed to once you lock em in and compared to the LOLOL cost of Triad or Latchlake or whatever, the price point is easy enough to swallow. I can't imagine the duct tape will be coming out anytime soon.
Even their standard series mic stands are fucking awesome. I've got two of these and definitely will be getting more whenever I need more stands. Right now, these and the K&M's are doing the job.

https://www.tama.com/usa/products/detail/md205st.html

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:01 pm

trodden wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:43 pm
Recycled_Brains wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:39 am
CraigS63 wrote:

Even their standard series mic stands are fucking awesome. I've got two of these and definitely will be getting more whenever I need more stands. Right now, these and the K&M's are doing the job.

https://www.tama.com/usa/products/detail/md205st.html
Thanks for both your input. I am looking at Tama on Sweetwater now. Free candy vs. sales call... The Triad and Latchlake prices are interesting. They are in someone's budget, though.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:12 pm

trodden wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:39 pm
I feel the same way about Austin.
A friend of mine in Seattle was saying music was dying up there - that nobody wanted to hear original music anymore. I see that happening in Austin too. Not sure if it is also the tech-bro effect or just that the new generation of city occupants (who came to the self-proclaimed "live music capitol of the world") just prefer their Karaoke and Espresso Martinis. :roll: You've got Bezos, we've got a guy building DeLorean's for the moon...
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:54 am

Same about Ann Arbor - every time I'm back for a visit, downtown is even more glossy and expensive.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:03 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:12 pm
trodden wrote:
A friend of mine in Seattle was saying music was dying up there - that nobody wanted to hear original music anymore. I see that happening in Austin too. Not sure if it is also the tech-bro effect or just that the new generation of city occupants (who came to the self-proclaimed "live music capitol of the world") just prefer their Karaoke and Espresso Martinis. :roll: You've got Bezos, we've got a guy building DeLorean's for the moon...

I'm so very fortunate to work part-time for KEXP 90.3, a public radio station that is pretty damn unique and all about music and its power through community outreach, so that helps tremendously. That said, I get why your friend would say that, because it still does feel that way. We've lost a handful of small venues for locals to foster to the community as well as to provide a place for underground music to live, which is where I've always felt was home. I have to say though, it seems like this new generation of "kids" are bringing some things back that the previous generation seemed to not give a fuck about. I come from the time where a thriving punk and metal scene became so large that it became taken for granted by the new younger people, but now, it seems the next group of young people are seeking to create that again. The fucked up part of that is that there is no longer cheap housing like there used to be for artists and musicians, on top of venue shortages. There's also the battles of employment now that everyone, small business owners, are battling for economic stability, which often leads to wages that aren't livable, hours of business cut, and small/skeleton crew work teams which lead to burnout if not providing enough hours of work. Basically, late stage capitalism is fucking everyone out of everything. This is why we cannot have nice things.

Property development is the golden ticket for anyone who isn't working in the tech fields, so we're seeing massive facelifts of what used to be cool and character to ugly modern fixtures with lease prices that fuck anyone except corporate backed business.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:36 am

trodden wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:03 am
digitaldrummer wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:12 pm
trodden wrote:

I'm so very fortunate to work part-time for KEXP 90.3, a public radio station that is pretty damn unique and all about music and its power through community outreach, so that helps tremendously. That said, I get why your friend would say that, because it still does feel that way. We've lost a handful of small venues for locals to foster to the community as well as to provide a place for underground music to live, which is where I've always felt was home. I have to say though, it seems like this new generation of "kids" are bringing some things back that the previous generation seemed to not give a fuck about. I come from the time where a thriving punk and metal scene became so large that it became taken for granted by the new younger people, but now, it seems the next group of young people are seeking to create that again. The fucked up part of that is that there is no longer cheap housing like there used to be for artists and musicians, on top of venue shortages. There's also the battles of employment now that everyone, small business owners, are battling for economic stability, which often leads to wages that aren't livable, hours of business cut, and small/skeleton crew work teams which lead to burnout if not providing enough hours of work. Basically, late stage capitalism is fucking everyone out of everything. This is why we cannot have nice things.

Property development is the golden ticket for anyone who isn't working in the tech fields, so we're seeing massive facelifts of what used to be cool and character to ugly modern fixtures with lease prices that fuck anyone except corporate backed business.

We lost our cool-ish radio station with local promoters and such, replaced with our corporate overlords a few years ago. Lost many of our smaller venues around / but not all directly related to Covid. And another venue / many other cool businesses are potentially up for demolition as we prepare to vote on…leveling all that property for a last minute planned downtown baseball stadium. Just what we fucking need guys.

vernier
pushin' record

Post by vernier » Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:11 pm

winky dinglehoffer wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:40 pm
Something from the Sweetwater Gear Exchange. When I noticed that the neck pickup is a Seymour Duncan Custom Shop Staple P90 (which lists for more than the guitar cost), I decided to go for it. The pickup is pretty cool, as is the Gibson P90 in the bridge. The guitar itself I'm not yet crazy about--hopefully I can get it to where I really like it. (Really, I'm just posting to test that attachments are working right, which they seem to be.)brazen.jpg
Nice instrument ..nice pickups.