Post by trodden » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:38 pm

T-rex wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:15 pm
trodden wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:43 pm
T-rex wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:51 am
Always the struggle!

So far it’s got the Burls awesome heft but with an extended top end. Now I get where that whole red silk thing from my RND 542s comes from. Then you add the EQ and it’s really incredible for the price.

The Burl distorts maybe a bit better when really pushed, but I don’t have a good attenuator for the AML. So not apples to apples yet.
Awesome. Did you get the AML EZ that's just the pre or the one with the additional EQ?
I got the 2 rack space one with both pre and eq. So it’s like when you add the eq into the equation, it’s such a no brainer. I love my Burl but I can tell I’m probably gonna want a pair of these and they are about the same price used.

I ran a bunch of stuff through all three, Burl, AML and the UAD. I duplicated tracks, put one in each track, matched levels as well as I could and did some blind switching back and forth with my faderport. I preferred the AML in almost every instance. The Burl is purposely a little dark and the AML has the bottom but also a really nice top end sheen to it. So I’m not sure a straight comparison is really fair. But other than a piano track where the Burl was hands down the winner, I personally liked the 1073 way better.

When I compared it to the UAD, with no eq, I picked the AML every time. It wasn’t a landslide but it definitely sounded bigger and there was more space around the instruments. It’s a battle of inches. On one track I don’t think anyone would ever notice but even blind switching I could always pick the bigger nicer sounding AML. Pretty much every comparison was AML > Burl > UAD.

I will say the Burl distorts a little nicer than the AML but I was turning levels down in software on the AML so I need to throw an actual attenuator behind it. But you have Burl right, so you know how they sound driven. The AMS on drums maxed out sounds insane, but the Burl sounds as insane but a little smoother. Probably due to the top end roll off.

Finally there is no way to really compare the UAD eq to the AML accurately but I did a few comparisons where I tried to match them. Then I just maxed the eq settings on both and compared. Like 12k all the way up on both and went back and forth. Same thing, AML was a bit bigger, a bit smoother, whereas the UAD, which normally sounds awesome to me, just sounded a bit flat when compared side by side.

I see myself probably selling the Burl, getting a second AML and then building probably two Lola’s down the road and being set for a while.
This is great feedback! Thank you! Sold on the AML. I really want a pre that also has an EQ. I love the BURLS, and will hang onto them for sure, but this sounds like a great addition.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by trodden » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:23 pm

T-rex wrote:
Always the struggle!

So far it’s got the Burls awesome heft but with an extended top end. Now I get where that whole red silk thing from my RND 542s comes from. Then you add the EQ and it’s really incredible for the price.

The Burl distorts maybe a bit better when really pushed, but I don’t have a good attenuator for the AML. So not apples to apples yet.
I just ran across this idea via a GearSpace post.
My only complaint is that there is no output trim but there are ways around this when I get the itch to drive hard. Because they have both mic and line features I am able to use one as a preamp into the other for attenuation. This is where it starts to get interesting. Or other external attenuators can be used to push the pre if desired. However, alone they are better than just fine. Really nice and well constructed.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:59 pm

All of this has me now looking at CAPI's "missing link".

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:02 pm

trodden wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:23 pm
T-rex wrote:
Always the struggle!

I just ran across this idea via a GearSpace post.
My only complaint is that there is no output trim but there are ways around this when I get the itch to drive hard. Because they have both mic and line features I am able to use one as a preamp into the other for attenuation. This is where it starts to get interesting. Or other external attenuators can be used to push the pre if desired. However, alone they are better than just fine. Really nice and well constructed.
I saw that too! That's a good idea. I want something variable, but I might end up building one of these:
https://www.diyrecordingequipment.com/c ... oducts/l2p
Very cheap and should do the trick. Although, I actually might have some inline attenuators here somewhere. I need to go through my junk drawer.

The Missing links are supposed to be awesome, but for the money I would probably get that Little Labs red cloud with the 8 passive attenuators.

Sound is such a personal thing. YMMV, but I am digging it. Hey, if you want to send me any tracks or whatever I can run them through the AML so you can hear for yourself. Just shoot me a message and we can connect.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:11 pm

T-rex wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:02 pm

I saw that too! That's a good idea. I want something variable, but I might end up building one of these:
https://www.diyrecordingequipment.com/c ... oducts/l2p
Very cheap and should do the trick. Although, I actually might have some inline attenuators here somewhere. I need to go through my junk drawer.

The Missing links are supposed to be awesome, but for the money I would probably get that Little Labs red cloud with the 8 passive attenuators.

Sound is such a personal thing. YMMV, but I am digging it. Hey, if you want to send me any tracks or whatever I can run them through the AML so you can hear for yourself. Just shoot me a message and we can connect.
I've actually got the DIYre attenuator and passive summer in my cart as we speak! A studio I track out of has a couple API 3124's, the older ones without an output control, and I'm always wanting to cram them a little harder, and that Little Labs piece is fucking IDEAL.

Thank you for your kind offer!

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:55 pm

It’s funny, I think I remember reading a review of the Redcloud in tape op and thinking, “what would I ever need 8 little attenuators for?”

I bought the DIY 500 extender kit for testing as I was gonna pull the trigger on a few Lola’s till I got sidetracked. They seem like a good company.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:01 pm

T-rex wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:55 pm
It’s funny, I think I remember reading a review of the Redcloud in tape op and thinking, “what would I ever need 8 little attenuators for?”
First mod I did after building that Hamptone JFET preamp was adding output attenuation. While it's nice to get pretty decent preamps in almost anything these days, almost none of them can deal with an actual old school line level signal.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:14 am

boring alert! I got a pack of those silicone rubber straps like VVV mentioned in another thread. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CQL54FST
maybe not the exact same, but looks like they will fit guitar stands (haven't gotten a chance to actually try them yet). super cheap for a 10 pack.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:57 am

yep, those are the stand-straps

I wanna note i kinda got larfed at when I mentioned the line attenuators I sometimes use:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=90819&p=727293&hilit=pad#p727293
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:19 am

Dayum, 85 db is a lot!

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:45 am

vvv wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:57 am
yep, those are the stand-straps

I wanna note i kinda got larfed at when I mentioned the line attenuators I sometimes use:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=90819&p=727293&hilit=pad#p727293
I think nobody bothered to look at the specs on those. While it's true it claims to do -1 to -85dB on a TRS/TS signal, specs also say it will do -1 to -35dB on a balanced XLR -- and that's not much different than those Shure in-line attenuators (I have a few) or similar.
Mike

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:51 pm

all my runs are short so my patchbay is 1/4", FWIW, and the attenuators are in the patchbay

I don't hear a whole lotta difference, as said
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:09 pm

vvv wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:51 pm
all my runs are short so my patchbay is 1/4", FWIW, and the attenuators are in the patchbay

I don't hear a whole lotta difference, as said
so, on the side of those attenuators, it has where you stick the wires in (I'm calling the top, the part with the diagram and the screws to tighten the wires in). On either side of those 12 wires holes (I think there is 6 per attenuator), there is a little trim pot - did you adjust those at all? On the "top" side, there is a diagram that says "level A" and "level B" and what looks like an icon for a screw head... so I would bet that by default they are attenuating very little. The instructions also say something like "recessed to prevent tampering". :lol: these are meant more for permanent installation in a Muzak system I think.
Mike

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:03 pm

don't recall, it's been a while

but I will try it!

yeah, they for for installations
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:14 am

I did get the pack of RAB Audio ProJax 40 monitor isolators (8 to a pack). I ended up using only the base (the shortest option - < 1") and it seems to hold my Dynaudio BM6a mkii's just fine and again I notice there is no vibration transmitting through to the desk/racks they are sitting on anymore. The low end seems tight as well just listening to some reference material. I look forward to doing some mixes to see how they help.
Mike