bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:12 am

vvv wrote:Very excited, I been trying to get one of these for a while:

Hohner 2BA F1 fretless bass
I had the 5 string fretted version of this Hohner. Pretty fun, except getting the strings I wanted, and too short of a scale for a 5 string IMHO...but a fret less 4 would be cool if you can fit flats on it.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:15 am

I have a lot of electronic music right now so I thought it'd be good to monitor bass better than my Equators can handle, so I preordered a Subpac S2.

Black Friday sales convinced me to upgrade to Pro Tools 11 from 9, so I had to buy a new ilok also, and I bought Waves Platinum bundle. A bunch of not very exciting but necessary stuff..

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:20 am

I have two fretted models, one with humbuckers and 1 with a Jazz-type set-up. The action is high on both, and I like that.

I've been using the regular strings that are available, but there do exist after-market nuts that allow the use of any bass string - one of those might be necessary to be able to afford flats, as the double ball end flat bass strings are pretty expensive.

But since I can play my fretless Jazz with no issues because of playing a lotta P, I figure I can prob'ly play this.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:55 am

Yeah I never bought that but because I knew with the scale I wouldn't want to keep it anyway. I like the Steinberger fretted violin, looks pretty cool but costs as much as a used car. I watched a video on him the other day he said something new is coming...but I'm guessing that's for the premium line not the semi affordable mass produced Gibson owned Steinberger.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:24 pm

I actually have a matching guitar, but that is a real PITA when ya break a string - that's the one I need the adapter nut for, now I think of it - what is why I haven't played it in a while ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Acsii
audio school graduate

Post by Acsii » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:54 am

Just got this cool little mic from my boyfriend for my birthday.

However can't use it at the moment as it has a 3-pin din connector instead of XLR.

Also bought this organ, needs a bit of repairing but I should have it up and running soon.

Nez Pender
Kalium Puls
http://wp.ultrazoidsshed.com

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:29 am

Hey Abby,

Cool microphone. I have a similar "Telefunken" in my cabinet; they make nice additions to a mike collection, plus, you can say that you have a Telefunken!

If you want to preserve the historical integrity of your microphone, you might be able to buy an adaptor or cable at Hinton Instuments in the UK (www.hinton-instruments.co.uk). If not, you can cut off the old 3-pin and solder an XLR end on it and it should work fine.

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:35 am

I have one of those mic's, also - pretty cool on amps. I think mine has a XLR already on it?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Acsii
audio school graduate

Post by Acsii » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:27 pm

Gregg Juke wrote:Hey Abby,

Cool microphone. I have a similar "Telefunken" in my cabinet; they make nice additions to a mike collection, plus, you can say that you have a Telefunken!

If you want to preserve the historical integrity of your microphone, you might be able to buy an adaptor or cable at Hinton Instuments in the UK (www.hinton-instruments.co.uk). If not, you can cut off the old 3-pin and solder an XLR end on it and it should work fine.

GJ
I went down to my local electronics parts shop and both a 5 pin din and an XLR and made a little adaptor that is gafferd to the connector so it holds like a single connector and so I can remove it to as you said "keep the historical integrity"
Nez Pender
Kalium Puls
http://wp.ultrazoidsshed.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:37 pm

I love the Telefunken mic, even if it sounds bad!

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:23 pm

Got a loaded Squire Strat neck off of Ebay, and bolted onto this leftover body:
Tuned/strung Nashville tuning - .026w .018 .015 .009 .013 .011 - like the octave strings on a 12 string.

Image2014-12-01 15.04.32 by craigs63, on Flickr

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:13 am

Two DAT machines (yes, you read that correctly) and some tape stock for a very nice price. One tabletop/rackmount Panasonic, and one very portable Tascam. I'm going to get all "illegal-digital-tapey"* circa 1988.

*"illegal-digital-tapey," it should be noted, is merely a mental chronological reference marker, and is in no way an indication or admission of any participation in prohibited recording activities of any kind, from or in any era.

GJ
Gregg Juke

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:25 am

Gregg Juke wrote:Two DAT machines (yes, you read that correctly) and some tape stock for a very nice price. One tabletop/rackmount Panasonic, and one very portable Tascam. I'm going to get all "illegal-digital-tapey"* circa 1988.

*"illegal-digital-tapey," it should be noted, is merely a mental chronological reference marker, and is in no way an indication or admission of any participation in prohibited recording activities of any kind, from or in any era.

GJ
Just using it as rack filler??

My wife oddly said she wanted a Raconteurs edition Stylophone from the Third Man Record store?I warned her that they are fairly cheesy and you can get a free app for your iPhone?but she wanted it nonetheless?and I was surprised to find it was only $15 (at least 30% cheaper than most places sell the regular Stylophone) so I went ahead and bought it. Got it yesterday, put in batteries today. Its?what you'd expect. I'm sure I'll use it on something. I'm not sure exactly why she wanted it, other than the Jack White factor, as she doesn't really play any instruments these days, but who am I to shut her down?

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:11 am

Glorified "rack filler," I suppose ks.

Two reasons (well, three really). 1) I'm replacing anything I might (even remotely) need that we have in the studio that isn't mine (I'm in a co-op studio situation where almost all of the gear is mine; just collecting the few pieces that aren't for an eventual move to entirely my own space, dig?) I've got a handful of dat masters myself; if a client ever needs a transfer or re-master from dat, it would be good to have one available. 2) I was only going to get one, but the price was so unbelievable, I got a nice rack piece for the studio, and the portable one as a back-up/option for live remote recording (also got a bunch of tape with purchase, and the dat is a nice adjunct to my little memory card-based digi-recorder). 3) The price itself was just ridiculous ($10 each). Couldn't pass that up on what had once been $1200-$2000 machines.

GJ
Gregg Juke