Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:34 am

UAD Manley Vari-Mu

Actually surprised by how nice it sounds. Glad I got it.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:30 am

That's how they always get me too. Offering the sound of a $3-5K piece of equipment for under $200... :rofl:
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:05 pm

Casio SK-1 in quite nice shape from a local thrift store, $5.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:53 am

Rolls Rp220 dual tube pre. Bought it cheap with a broken channel. The switching jack in the instrument input is stuck so it won’t pass the mic connection. I’m hoping to sort that out today and swap the tubes and chips for something nicer than stock.
These get mixed reviews.I’ve got lots of good to great pre channels already so I’d be happy even if it ends up as a microphone fuzz box.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:55 am

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:53 am
Rolls Rp220 dual tube pre. Bought it cheap with a broken channel. The switching jack in the instrument input is stuck so it won’t pass the mic connection. I’m hoping to sort that out today and swap the tubes and chips for something nicer than stock.
These get mixed reviews.I’ve got lots of good to great pre channels already so I’d be happy even if it ends up as a microphone fuzz box.
please do report back, i've read a lot about these, they are True Tube Voltage and have an input transformer, so there is potential there. i've never read a solid review. I've contemplated getting one for a while now, i wait with baited breath

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:47 am

markjazzbassist wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:55 am
A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:53 am
please do report back, i've read a lot about these, they are True Tube Voltage and have an input transformer, so there is potential there. i've never read a solid review. I've contemplated getting one for a while now, i wait with baited breath
Welll the dead channel turns out to be a dirty mic/line switch. Switching it in and out a few hundred times seems to have cleaned it up and both channels are now working. I just swapped in new tubes and opamps. Will report back once I've used it a bit.

unholyE
audio school

Post by unholyE » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:47 pm

I've been rebuilding my home studio and buying/trading/selling.

The latest stuff:

Slate All Access Plug-in Suite (I'm running Pro Tools 2019.10 on a Mac Pro)
Klark Teknik KT-2A
Klark Teknik 1176
Sennheiser mkh 8040 (pair)

I haven't had much time to actually RECORD with any of these pieces yet but I'm hoping to next week.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:56 pm

Allen & Heath GL2400-24. As recommended by someone on TOMB (sorta, they said GL2800). Not even set up yet.

I haven't been this excited about a piece of gear in a long time.

WTF is the matrix for in a self-recording context? There's shit about this board I barely understand.

Gonna go set it up...
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:15 am

Snarl 12/8 wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:56 pm
Allen & Heath GL2400-24. As recommended by someone on TOMB (sorta, they said GL2800). Not even set up yet.

WTF is the matrix for in a self-recording context? There's shit about this board I barely understand.

Gonna go set it up...
The Matrix is good for sending GROUPS to it, AKA submixes.

Recording example, using my GL2800 (8 busses, your has 4, so slightly different than my workflow.)

You own an 4 track tape machine. Yes, you do. ;), and you also have an 8 track DAW interface. You want to record everything
as a band, live, to 4 track, and transfer to your DAW.

You have a 8 microphone drumkit, which you buss to Groups 1-2.

You have two electric guitar recording setups, A, and B. Each has 3 mics on it. They go to groups 3, and 4.

You have an electric bass setup, which is mono, goes to group 5.

You have 5 vocals to record (both guitar players, the bass player, the drummer, the lead vocalist). You group the BGs to
Group 7 and 8 (for Stereo), you send the lead vocal to group 6.

This is a Grand Total of 20 mic / line inputs, being submixed into 8 groups, further brought down to 4 Matrices for your 4 track.

The good thing is, if you need to do overdubs / massacres / insanity, you do NOT have to rewire anything.
You can have your GROUPS wired to the 8 inputs of your DAW at the SAME TIME that your tape machine is
seeing the Matrices. It helps to own enough patchbay real estate to do all this with your 8-24.

That would be 8 groups, but you need to send them to your 4 track. Because The Beatles, or what not.

So, you SEND your submixed GROUPS to THE MATRIX. Follow the White Rabbit ;)

Drumkit goes to Matrix 1.
Bass and guitars all go to Matrix 2.
BGs go to Matrix 3.
You lead vocal, who is a superegotistical maniac, goes to Matrix 4.

The reason you would want to go through all that electronics, is for CONSISTENCY. Everyone gets screwed about by the same amount
of electronics, so they all have the same overall sound. GLs are very clean, when you set your gain staging properly.

Got it?

Nearly all the first Beatles records were done to 4 track, bouncing like baby balls to the end. You could do a similar thing, using groups and matrices.

Another idea, is to send your 4 GROUPS to tape, and do a Stereo and / or Mono submix out of the Matrices, to your DAW. Mess about!!!

Cheers.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:56 am

unholyE wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:47 pm

The latest stuff:

Klark Teknik KT-2A
Klark Teknik 1176

I haven't had much time to actually RECORD with any of these pieces yet but I'm hoping to next week.

I use the KT2a pretty much constantly on direct bass.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:35 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:15 am
Snarl 12/8 wrote:

Gonna go set it up...

Recording example, using my GL2800 (8 busses, your has 4, so slightly different than my workflow.)

You own an 4 track tape machine. Yes, you do. ;), and you also have an 8 track DAW interface. You want to record everything

You have two electric guitar recording setups, A, and B. Each has 3 mics on it. They go to groups 3, and 4.

You have 5 vocals to record (both guitar players, the bass player, the drummer, the lead vocalist). You group the BGs to

This is a Grand Total of 20 mic / line inputs, being submixed into 8 groups, further brought down to 4 Matrices for your 4 track.

The good thing is, if you need to do overdubs / massacres / insanity, you do NOT have to rewire anything.
You can have your GROUPS wired to the 8 inputs of your DAW at the SAME TIME that your tape machine is
seeing the Matrices. It helps to own enough patchbay real estate to do all this with your 8-24.

That would be 8 groups, but you need to send them to your 4 track. Because The Beatles, or what not.

BGs go to Matrix 3.

The reason you would want to go through all that electronics, is for CONSISTENCY. Everyone gets screwed about by the same amount
of electronics, so they all have the same overall sound. GLs are very clean, when you set your gain staging properly.

Got it?

Nearly all the first Beatles records were done to 4 track, bouncing like baby balls to the end. You could do a similar thing, using groups and matrices.

Another idea, is to send your 4 GROUPS to tape, and do a Stereo and / or Mono submix out of the Matrices, to your DAW. Mess about!!!

Cheers.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:18 pm

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:35 am
Nick Sevilla wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:15 am
Snarl 12/8 wrote:

Gonna go set it up...

BGs go to Matrix 3.

Got it?

Cheers.
LOL. And thanks Nick.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

unholyE
audio school

Post by unholyE » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:52 pm

kslight wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:56 am
unholyE wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:47 pm

The latest stuff:

Klark Teknik KT-2A
Klark Teknik 1176

I use the KT2a pretty much constantly on direct bass.
I’ve only used the KT-2A on Vocals (tracking) but it was incredibly smooth and I’m excited to try it on other stuff.
I’m a underwhelmed by the KT1176 but I have only tried it as insert on a snare top mic coming from a session I didn’t engineer. I feel like I don’t know it’s limitations and quirks yet. The KT 1176 seems a little slower with attack and release than a UREI and a little less aggressive than I remember the old units sounding.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:42 pm

Nano Big Muff.

I'm tellin' ya's, they are all just a little different, some overlaps at their extremes mebbe, and all - all - sound great.

I also recently got a new Rumble 25 (latest version) and except for it's amenability toward pedals, and its cheap price and I already have it for my TV room and can't be arsed to return it, it's shite. The Ampeg BA108 is 10x better, IMSNFHO.

But that amenability to pedals - Muffs sound great thru it.

Pro tip: roll off the bass, crank the mid and treble - the Rumble's a useable pedal-platform guitar amp.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:36 pm

Got a new pawn shop special...a pretty rare headless...1986 Ibanez AXB1000...not to be confused with the smaller bodied Axstar line it is a full bodied headless with real steinberger parts, active pickups...and is a fujigen Gakki built model. Bought because it was real cheap (basically nothing online about this model...not sure how many were made but every one I’ve seen referenced is under sn 0100...mine is 0041), I miss my headless, and wanted something with actives to tune down.

Downside is like most of these 30 some year old steinberger bridges, the claws need replaced...the low E claw broke when I went to tune it up...so I’ve got new claws coming in for a bridge rebuild. Plus side is when I’m done I think I’ll have a nice axe.