Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by Recycled_Brains » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:59 am

losthighway wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:12 pm
Recycled_Brains wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:27 am
Purple LILPEQR EQs (x2)
Tell me more about these!
Have mixed a couple songs with them on the mixbuss now. They sound like a really exceptional bass/treble knob on a stereo. A little goes a long way, the shelves are super wide. I wouldn't describe the LF band as "more low end". It's more like "more balls". The air thing is cool. I kinda wish it had a LPF at like 25k or something, but that's easy to do ITB. I notice a pretty significant, if not small, difference between the "in" and "in +level" modes. The latter being tighter sounding. I think that will come in handy.

I didn't get the stepped version, but the pots have a nice resistance to them, so it's not difficult to match them, but the markers are a ballpark, so it's proven important to verify by ear that l/r are even. Close enough is good enough though.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:28 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:59 am
losthighway wrote:
Recycled_Brains wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:27 am
Purple LILPEQR EQs (x2)
Have mixed a couple songs with them on the mixbuss now. They sound like a really exceptional bass/treble knob on a stereo. A little goes a long way, the shelves are super wide. I wouldn't describe the LF band as "more low end". It's more like "more balls". The air thing is cool. I kinda wish it had a LPF at like 25k or something, but that's easy to do ITB. I notice a pretty significant, if not small, difference between the "in" and "in +level" modes. The latter being tighter sounding. I think that will come in handy.

I didn't get the stepped version, but the pots have a nice resistance to them, so it's not difficult to match them, but the markers are a ballpark, so it's proven important to verify by ear that l/r are even. Close enough is good enough though.
Interesting. I might get more use out of their Odd, or Tav. But then again, is there any change the Tav is cooler than an API. Every time I think about buying one EQ, it turns into needing 3 or 4 different kinds.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:40 pm

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:48 am
I did a way with most of the things that drive me nuts on strats - the volume pot closest to the strings
losthighway wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:05 am
I share many of the same criticisms with the strat layout
My brothers. I did away with one of the tone knobs and just moved the volume knob:

I just wanna strum some chords without getting bloody knuckles.

ON TOPIC! Here's the latest gear I've acquired:

It's a dream, the neck is unbelievable, so speedy and easy to play. I'm psyched.

And a little while back I was chatting with an old friend from college, who's a legit guitar whiz, we were trading tapes (as it were) of our old stuff, and it made me nostalgic for my old shredding days. I saw this guy on sale at a steep discount and well why not:

Been having a ball yessir.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:52 pm

losthighway wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:28 am
Recycled_Brains wrote:
losthighway wrote:

Interesting. I might get more use out of their Odd, or Tav. But then again, is there any change the Tav is cooler than an API. Every time I think about buying one EQ, it turns into needing 3 or 4 different kinds.
I can vouch for the Odd. Friend has one in his spot. I love it. If I was going to go nuts and get like 8 of the same EQ, it would likely be that one. It's a perfect tracking EQ. Very easy to make decisions quickly, sounds beautiful. Much more subtle than other EQ's I've tried.

My intention for the LILPEQR is to live on the mix-buss, so all I'm looking for is a broad-stroke. I use the Fabfilter and/or Oxford dynamic EQ for any other adjustments. I think it'll be cool for adding some sauce in tracking too though. I prefer minimalism. I get to wrapped up in "what if" if you give me too much to work with.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:50 pm

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:52 pm
losthighway wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:28 am
Recycled_Brains wrote:

I can vouch for the Odd. Friend has one in his spot. I love it. If I was going to go nuts and get like 8 of the same EQ, it would likely be that one. It's a perfect tracking EQ. Very easy to make decisions quickly, sounds beautiful. Much more subtle than other EQ's I've tried.

My intention for the LILPEQR is to live on the mix-buss, so all I'm looking for is a broad-stroke. I use the Fabfilter and/or Oxford dynamic EQ for any other adjustments. I think it'll be cool for adding some sauce in tracking too though. I prefer minimalism. I get to wrapped up in "what if" if you give me too much to work with.
Good to know. I just re-found Marc Alan Goodman's Tapeop review of that ODD and he filled his API up with many of them. I think that's gonna be the one.

I can imagine doing those broadstrokes to make a mix heftier, or less boomy as needed (or sparkly). That mix bus stuff is still greek to me. When I hear people talking about their 'print path' with last stop dynamic processing, eqing, and their Corvette 2-track A/D converter I feel like I'm missing some magic, but I just work until I click 'render as'.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:42 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:40 pm
My brothers. I did away with one of the tone knobs and just moved the volume knob:

Anodized pickguards on bursts are a thing to behold. My P-bass build has the same thing. Almost my favorite Fender combo, right behind a mint pickguard on anything candy apple red.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:42 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:40 pm

Anodized pickguards on bursts are a thing to behold. My P-bass build has the same thing. Almost my favorite Fender combo, right behind a mint pickguard on anything candy apple red.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:49 am

Does a plugin count as new gear?

Got the Chandler Germanium compressor from Softube yesterday, after demoing it for a couple of weeks. It's pretty easy to dial in something smashed, but there are a lot of less-obvious tones that sound great once you get the hang of the feedback controls and the mix knob. I've been using it as a sidechain comp for bass, ducking a touch when the kick hits, and also as a parallel comp on my acoustic guitar groups. I'm looking forward to trying it on vocals, too.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:17 am

mjau wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:49 am
Does a plugin count as new gear?
close enough...

I also just picked up the UAD Capitol Chambers because it was 60% off and I had double coupons on top of that... too good to pass up.

and dang it... they already gave me another coupon!
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:52 pm

mjau wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:42 am
Anodized pickguards on bursts are a thing to behold. My P-bass build has the same thing.
Yep, an old friend/bandmate had a gold pickguard on his burst P bass, I totally copied him. It looks so much cooler now than it did with the stock white pickguard. Likewise my tele, I swapped out the white pickguard for a chrome one and that guitar immediately got 100% cooler.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:17 pm

losthighway wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:31 pm
Allen and Heath GL2400

I would just ask to delete my console help thread, but there's some handy maintenance tips in there for any to refer to. I shall repair my Soundcraft no more..... (and maybe repair an A&H instead). Whatever, I've got mixing to do!
My, new to me, A&H GL2400 has been a revelation.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:44 am

A Snapmaker 3 in 1 3D printer.

No, not an audio device per se, but useful to prototype
some hardware ideas I have had swimming around my head for a few years.

Eventually, I'll use some of you as guinea pigs.

:alien:
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:00 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:44 am
A Snapmaker 3 in 1 3D printer.

No, not an audio device per se, but useful to prototype
some hardware ideas I have had swimming around my head for a few years.

Eventually, I'll use some of you as guinea pigs.

:alien:
Nice! We have 2 3D printers that I oversee at the library where I work. My crowning design achievement was making a CAD file for blank 500 series rack panels. I got so incensed when I tried to find some and realized people were charging like $15 for them.

Also, if anyone wants that file, hit me up.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:53 am

Snarl 12/8 wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:17 pm
losthighway wrote:
Allen and Heath GL2400

I would just ask to delete my console help thread, but there's some handy maintenance tips in there for any to refer to. I shall repair my Soundcraft no more..... (and maybe repair an A&H instead). Whatever, I've got mixing to do!
It sounds like they're relatively colorless, which is great for me as I'm just directing traffic with it. Going through my fancy outboard pres, and mixing through various compressors- tube, RMS, VCA etc.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:00 am

Snarl 12/8 wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:17 pm
losthighway wrote:
Allen and Heath GL2400

IMHO, consoles need to be colorless. When you want to color the sound, use something specific.
You never want to have to fight a console to get a clean, transparent enough recording.

Congratulations! Let me know if you need the service manual.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.