Recycled_Brains wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:09 pm
drumsound wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:29 pm
shedshrine wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:21 pm
Had to trot this out..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoZQG57PodA

2:31 into it. (not the solid state version, sorry.. :D)
A TOMB blast from the past!
This is the most TOMB thing I've ever seen.
A literal TOMB commercial.

shedshrine
deaf.

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by shedshrine » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:15 pm

Anyone know what J. Robert Lennon aka inverseroom is up to these days? (Recent events notwithstanding..)

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:01 am

shedshrine wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:15 pm
Anyone know what J. Robert Lennon aka inverseroom is up to these days? (Recent events notwithstanding..)
He sold something in the buy/sell area here a little while ago. It was kinda exciting.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:23 am

shedshrine wrote:
Since his real gig was writing, he's probably writing.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:08 am

Snarl 12/8 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:01 am
shedshrine wrote:
He sold something in the buy/sell area here a little while ago. It was kinda exciting.
I bought his Deltalabs Supertimeline off him here many moons ago. I remember he talked a little about how getting into messing around with his eurorack lab was taking too much time away from writing songs time.
Scodiddly wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:23 am
shedshrine wrote:
Right. And more power to him. Hope he and his family are okay up there in New York

Oh, and been meaning to ask you Scott...Have Alice mics been retired?
Who is Alice and why was she special enough to name a mic after?
Is there a new design in the works? Are you planning to diversify?
Perhaps a Betty then a Candace, then a Dorothy?
What kind of wood did you use for the Yamaha rack? It looks great.
Do you make long bicycle ride videos anymore? Google maps got nothing on you.
and finally, have you actually ever met Tom Waits?

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:05 am

Jeez, that might take until the end of social distancing to fully answer.

Not a bad thing ...

:twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:06 am

Ordered some kits from CAPI. My mix work is about to dry up and cancelled all my tracking sessions coming up (for now), so need something to do.

FC526 compressor and 2x AM10 DOA kits (to try in my 553 EQ's).
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:41 am

shedshrine wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:08 am
Snarl 12/8 wrote:
shedshrine wrote:
Scodiddly wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:23 am

Right. And more power to him. Hope he and his family are okay up there in New York

Scodiddly is otherwise occupied at the moment, so I took the liberty of replying for him:

RE: Alice mic
Well, the Alice mic possessed a kind of special magic due in no small part to the unique articulated bias voltage applied that would push the components to their utmost limits without damaging or destroying the circuitry. This is what gave the ALice that magic edge of pandemonium gleam and glisten that kept people coming back for more.

These components were supplied by an old Czechoslovakian engineer who smuggled them out of Russia and were of limited quantity, and are thus now unobtanium. Hence the end of the Alice.

Alice was my pet gerbil of many a "we need a gerbil for this commercial" fame. I trained her from a pup to rear up on her hind legs and do that gerbil face she could do so well. As she got on in years the offers stopped pouring in and she consoled herself on her velvet lined hamster wheel.

Yamaha racked pres:
I used a 500 year old walnut fireplace shelf for the wood on that racked Yamaha pre pair. I just planed a good 3/8 inch off the bottom of my cousin's victorian fire place shelf and mounted it back in place afterwards. Fortunately, they weren't home.

Bicycle videos were a short term passion. I had pretty much documented the entire tri-city area and sold the footage to google maps as you guessed.
Filming by bicycle creates less of a shadow than a car, and I got better access to side streets and cul de sacs that were otherwise inaccessible due to double parking and the like.

Tom Waits and I go way back. I was renting some storage space in an old barn about a mile from my home, and one day I stopped by to pick up my arc welding setup and Tom Waits was recording in the barn with some hubcaps, anvils and flaming hay bales. we hit it off immediately.

Scodiddly

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:02 pm

shedshrine wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:41 am
shedshrine wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:08 am
Snarl 12/8 wrote:

Scodiddly is otherwise occupied at the moment, so I took the liberty of replying for him:

RE: Alice mic
Well, the Alice mic possessed a kind of special magic due in no small part to the unique articulated bias voltage applied that would push the components to their utmost limits without damaging or destroying the circuitry. This is what gave the ALice that magic edge of pandemonium gleam and glisten that kept people coming back for more.

These components were supplied by an old Czechoslovakian engineer who smuggled them out of Russia and were of limited quantity, and are thus now unobtanium. Hence the end of the Alice.

Alice was my pet gerbil of many a "we need a gerbil for this commercial" fame. I trained her from a pup to rear up on her hind legs and do that gerbil face she could do so well. As she got on in years the offers stopped pouring in and she consoled herself on her velvet lined hamster wheel.

Yamaha racked pres:
I used a 500 year old walnut fireplace shelf for the wood on that racked Yamaha pre pair. I just planed a good 3/8 inch off the bottom of my cousin's victorian fire place shelf and mounted it back in place afterwards. Fortunately, they weren't home.

Bicycle videos were a short term passion. I had pretty much documented the entire tri-city area and sold the footage to google maps as you guessed.
Filming by bicycle creates less of a shadow than a car, and I got better access to side streets and cul de sacs that were otherwise inaccessible due to double parking and the like.

Tom Waits and I go way back. I was renting some storage space in an old barn about a mile from my home, and one day I stopped by to pick up my arc welding setup and Tom Waits was recording in the barn with some hubcaps, anvils and flaming hay bales. we hit it off immediately.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Very nice!

I still do make and sell Alice mics, just not as many as before. Nothing really that special about the design, other than not having to shave pennies off the components to get it on the shelf at Guitar Center. "Alice" because it was hard to take a picture which showed actual size.

Still working on the Yamaha PM5000 preamps. Been trying to harness the VCA chip but it somehow causes a buzz in the output. Only the face is wood, some random oak I had lying around with a walnut stain I also had lying around. The actual rack chassis is *two* single-space chassis bolted together after some drastic surgery.

Never did meet Waits, but I did see him in concert at the Auditorium Theatre in Chicago. We were in the absolute nosebleed seats, the PA didn't quite cover all the way up there, and yes I'm still pissed about it.

vernier
pushin' record

Post by vernier » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:10 pm

shedshrine wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:47 pm
kslight wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:29 pm
vernier wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:19 am
Got a small guitar amp, custom made, all-metal cabinet, 4" speaker, all tube. I like it.
That’s the way to do it, to be honest. Let’s see it :worthy:
Is it one of those 'toaster' amps? Those re-purposed magnasync moviola tube boxes?

Here's mine. I like the sound of this thing!
Attachments
MursAmp.jpg
MursAmp.jpg (127.41 KiB) Viewed 4402 times

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:22 pm

Cool!

I was thinking of maybe swapping out all the old standard screws on mine for some fresh chrome blingy allen socket bolts...nah.

or maybe chrome blingy philllips head screws with white teflon spacers. hmm..
..nah.

or maybe a gold orange red Chameleon Pearl essence paint job, with a black powder coated speaker grill. Yeah!

...nah.

Scodiddly

Post by Scodiddly » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:37 am

shedshrine wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:22 pm
Cool!

I was thinking of maybe swapping out all the old standard screws on mine for some fresh chrome blingy allen socket bolts...nah.

..nah.

or maybe a gold orange red Chameleon Pearl essence paint job, with a black powder coated speaker grill. Yeah!

...nah.
Oh yeah, and with flames around the power inlet!

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:43 am

So ...

... you guys stocked up before the lockdown, eh? :high:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:02 am

1978 Jen SX-2000 Synthetone Analog Synthesizer. These were made in italy, all analog 1 osc bliss same filter design as the EMS VCS3. they are very rare and i've been searching for a reasonable priced one for years now (read that as i'm a cheapskate and will not pay market value, i must pay below the market, usually well below market with a lowball offer) and finally found one the other day. it will be here Friday and i'm so excited. very simple synth, but that's what i enjoy, using the parameters to "go beyond".

1978 Fender Musicmaster Electric Guitar - I'm a bassist but have owned tons of guitars, but never really settled on one. Got this player's grade axe for a song due to condition and had a humbucker added in the bridge position. Nice sounding, nice playing, wonderful fender. i have it's sister a 1971 musicmaster bass that i love, glad i have the pair.

1975 Oberheim VCF-200 Pedal - This is the same as the Maestro FSH pedal. It is an envelope filter in ENV mode, and has Sample & Hold in S&H mode. It arrived broken and i got a partial refund now i gotta find a schem and fix it. The S&H is free running which needs solved, and the ENV mode the filter doesn't open till the very end of the range knob. Probably start with the Caps replacing and see if that does it. Very excited for this pedal on guitar, bass, keys, synth, etc. Very rare and got a good deal considering their rarity.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:25 am

Scodiddly wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:37 am
shedshrine wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:22 pm
Cool!

..nah.

...nah.
Oh yeah, and with flames around the power inlet!