Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by CraigS63 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:43 pm

Electro-Voice RE20 mic. I finally have a better than budget mic. I guess I’ll use it on everything for now. I wonder what I sound like?
I was going to buy a used or open box one on GC’s site, but chatting with the rep, he said he could sell a new one cheaper than the used one I was looking at. Sold.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:59 am

Vox NT15C - sweet China-made amp, with a huge and flexible sound. Recorded it agains a Fender Bassbreaker 007 inna live jam last weekend and both amps sound great. I'll publish some tracks soon ...

A story:

I bought a Blackstar HT15 offa the Reverb - damaged in shipping and returned.

So then I bought a Vox NT15C; it hadda messed-up input jack and adjacent gain pot, likely from mis-use. Requested refund and the seller made a shipping damage claim - pretty sure he was scamming. :x

Delayed by refund about a week, and 10+ emails haranguing Reverb until they refunded me as "an accommodation" but "the only time" and I'm in their "file". WTF? Who are they, the secret po-po? :evil:

Had fun messing with 'em and in the meantime bought another of the same amp for US$30 more. (Regret that was also on the Reverb.)

Then, the scamming seller wants the amp back, and Reverb sends a shipping label, despite having told me to keep it!

That was even more fun! :twisted:

Told 'em: no, you said to keep it, and BTW, close my account - you (Reverb) are not to be trusted. (talkbass has ever-increasing complaints about 'em - my first issue but when over US$100 is involved, I say, screw 'em if they can't do business correctly)

If ya wanna read the emails:
https://vlayman.wordpress.com/2024/02/0 ... ue-return/

Edit: Forgot I started another thread about this, here:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=91064&p=729543#p729543
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:53 am

trodden wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:21 pm
Very exciting!
https://reverb.com/item/73065954-rapco- ... ed-cg00xt3
just curious. are you using that for splitting at a live show or something else?
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:22 am

trodden wrote:
Very exciting!

If you’re looking for a second, I have a splitter like this listed here.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:24 pm

kslight wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:22 am
trodden wrote:
Very exciting!

If you’re looking for a second, I have a splitter like this listed here.
GOD DAMMIT. Why didn't I check here first? I would have rather bought from you, for cheaper as well, then a stranger. Sorry... I feel dumb.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:31 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:53 am
trodden wrote:
Very exciting!
just curious. are you using that for splitting at a live show or something else?
Splitting off one stage mic that's going to PA as well as two audience mics into two different recording devices for redundancy.
Stage Mic -->SPLIT channel 1 --> FOH
--> SPLIT channel 2 --> Recorder 1
--> Recorder 2
Audience Mic Left --> SPLIT channel 3 -->Recorder 1
-->Recorder 2

Audience Mic Right-->SPLIT channel 4 -->Recorder 1
-->Recorder 2

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:25 am

Otari MX-70 with no remote. Bummer. Teac 80-8 in working condition but needs restoration, Interface Electronics/Stevenson 200 series with 200B modules and 200M master module, and a bunch of dbx Type I units. I have my work cut out for me. I haven't posted in awhile but I'm back due to FB groups not being nearly as cool as TOMB.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:09 pm

getreel wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:25 am
Otari MX-70 with no remote. Bummer. Teac 80-8 in working condition but needs restoration, Interface Electronics/Stevenson 200 series with 200B modules and 200M master module, and a bunch of dbx Type I units. I have my work cut out for me. I haven't posted in awhile but I'm back due to FB groups not being nearly as cool as TOMB.
Welcome back! 8)

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:35 am

Focusrite 18i20. The 18i8 was cool but didn't have enough outs for what I'd like to do with my setup, & a good deal came up locally.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:58 pm

Steinberg has a February sale, so I got VST Connect Pro 5.

Been testing it for a few hours today, learning how to do remote recordings. I still have a day or two before I feel confident about it. Lots of small code parts that need to be "just so" for it to work correctly.

But, fun, once it works, as I can then record clients anywhere pretty much.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:40 am

Got a couple pedals by seller on Reverb “discordance electric” - a Maestro Brassmaster clone and a Korg Ms20 filter in a pedal. Pretty interesting for something a little different, and they were having a sale so price was right.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:04 pm

Big plastic boxes; go ahead and larf, but they fit under the coffee table to hold pedals and cables and slides and patch cords and other shite I need when doing living room jams

EQD Blumes - that's right, not a typo, it's the bass version of the Plumes. I compared both on bass and I am really digging the Blumes, it's gotta a ton of EQ options, lotta bottom, and the 3-way switch like the Plumes. The latter is said to be a variation on a Screamer, but I like it a lot better. Never played a Bass Screamer but the Blumes is fairly called that, and it gives tasty distortion.

EQD Tentacle - a one-trick pony I bought for cheap that I saw Mascis currently uses. Only tried it on bass so far, and it's a nicely subtle octave up, will be good for emphasis and solo parts.

Some foam mic covers, because I eat and spit on my mic's and I kinda figger others will, also, and mine are better so the band is using 'em.

CMC Musket - this cloner knows his stuff, and his mods make the pedals different and better (e.g., mids onna Muff, etc.) This is a Civil War Muff variation, totally worthy and comparable (but better) to my W&C Pickle Pie (still loving the W&C Caprid, too). Too bad I told Reverb to fcuk off after that Vox amp BS, as he basically only sells from there.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:46 am

vvv wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:59 am

If ya wanna read the emails:
https://vlayman.wordpress.com/2024/02/0 ... ue-return/

Edit: Forgot I started another thread about this, here:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=91064&p=729543#p729543
What a shit show.

I"ve done some buying and selling via Reverb. I try to keep all used gear transactions local, and there's an awesome seattle facebook group that is well moderated for that, but sometimes I gotta go out of town. Luckily all of my Reverb instances have been positive so far. My worst experiences has been with people from the Group DIY Audio Forum. Both times I've dealt with individuals there, has been a fucking nightmare.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:19 pm

I'm a single guy, make a buck, spend my off time and $ on TV, food and booze and weed, and music, and those friends wanna join me.

I'm somewhat embarrassed to say how much I spend on gear but, I'm comfortable withit.

I think I bought a cuppla tube amps and basses on Reverb last year, mebbe a guitar, I have no idear how many pedals, and some cables, music stands, mic stands, etc, but likely more than on the Ebog. I bought a LA2 clone there, too ...

This BS, I told 'em to close my account.

I don't think they did, tho', because I did get two positive reviews last week (one for the second Vox, one for a pedal). :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.