Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by Recycled_Brains » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:34 am

Radial Tank Driver
Louder Than Liftoff Mr. Focus Comp (1176 variant)
EQD Transmisser

I made my family get me gift cards for gear this year. :lol:
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:21 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:34 am
Radial Tank Driver
Have you gotten to put that Tank Driver through its paces yet? Seems like a cool new invention.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:36 pm

I built myself a take on the Rob Robinette Micro-Bassman.

Single or jumpered inputs on a single trs jack
Defeatable Framus mid control after V1
Defeatable James tonestack (modified values) after buffer
Switchable feedback
2x 12au7 output (it's a quad!!!), with the possibility of running a single, or 12BH7(s), for driving the OPT to different levels of compression.

Built it true point to point in the chassis I saved from a shure M63 a few years back (11x4x2.25, it's crammed full). All parts used were stuff I had on hand, so it was "free".

The James stack plus mid makes it really versatile, that may be why it feels more in the family of sounds with my Ampeg Gemini V than the Fender type thing. Wrote quite a bit on it these last few days.

Every time I try to post pictures on here it's an hour of trying to find the right fu, so...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17189e4 ... p=drivesdk
https://drive.google.com/file/d/173E42V ... p=drivesdk
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17AjRFQ ... p=drivesdk
The schematic contains some errors I've corrected, and probably some more I haven't.
Village Idiot.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:03 am

Boss DD7

After weeks of debating how to spend some nice Amazon gift cards, I decided it was time to go back to my favorite stereo delay line. It was tempting to get another fancy Earthquaker box, but I like something I can plug in to two amps and actually hear the echoes ping pong back and forth.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:25 am

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:53 am
Rolls Rp220 dual tube pre. Bought it cheap with a broken channel. The switching jack in the instrument input is stuck so it won’t pass the mic connection. I’m hoping to sort that out today and swap the tubes and chips for something nicer than stock.
These get mixed reviews.I’ve got lots of good to great pre channels already so I’d be happy even if it ends up as a microphone fuzz box.
any update on how the Rolls tube pre sounds?

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:50 am

kslight wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:36 pm
Got a new pawn shop special...a pretty rare headless...1986 Ibanez AXB1000...not to be confused with the smaller bodied Axstar line it is a full bodied headless with real steinberger parts, active pickups...and is a fujigen Gakki built model. Bought because it was real cheap (basically nothing online about this model...not sure how many were made but every one I’ve seen referenced is under sn 0100...mine is 0041), I miss my headless, and wanted something with actives to tune down.

Downside is like most of these 30 some year old steinberger bridges, the claws need replaced...the low E claw broke when I went to tune it up...so I’ve got new claws coming in for a bridge rebuild. Plus side is when I’m done I think I’ll have a nice axe.
Parts came in and fixed it up 8)

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:00 am

losthighway wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:21 am
Recycled_Brains wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:34 am
Radial Tank Driver
Have you gotten to put that Tank Driver through its paces yet? Seems like a cool new invention.
Immediately threw it on the mix I'm currently working on. It's hooked up to the tank in my Gemini II. I love the sound so far, but there is ground hum I am having trouble tracking down. Luckily this mix is all loud-distorted-everything, so it's buried, but if I plan to use this config on a quieter mix, I need to work that part out. Have some better cabling coming in this week. Hoping that will be of help. Need to try a different position in my rack too. I'm using Echoboy (digital delay mode) for a little pre-delay (around 80ms)... It's working out nicely. Very different than the plate emu I usually use. Much grimier sounding, but overall I think it's a bit more interesting and psychedelic (the latter matters to me more than most things).

The gain staging was a little tricky, but with the trim plugin in PT and the 'drive' switch engaged I've been able to get a pretty good send/return signal. I think I'll try daisy-ing it into a preamp with a line-in for makeup gain next and see how that sounds.

I'll report back about the hum thing. I'm assuming it's just my old-as-fuck verb tank. That amp has seen some shit for sure.

Functionally, it feels good. The pots have a nice resistance and I think the EQ functions are essential. The metal work is exactly what you would expect from Radial, so it's probably bullet proof.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:07 pm

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:00 am
It's hooked up to the tank in my Gemini II. I love the sound so far, but there is ground hum I am having trouble tracking down.

I'll report back about the hum thing. I'm assuming it's just my old-as-fuck verb tank. That amp has seen some shit for sure.
Do you have any other tanks to try it out on?

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:48 pm

losthighway wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:07 pm
Recycled_Brains wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:00 am
It's hooked up to the tank in my Gemini II. I love the sound so far, but there is ground hum I am having trouble tracking down.

Do you have any other tanks to try it out on?
I tried it on my reverberocket, but that tank sounds kinda shitty (not in a good way). Didn't have it hooked up long enough to notice the noise. That's on my list of trouble shooting things though.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:14 pm

You are an Ampeg man!

I've been lusting after those new Dr. Z Jettas inspired by the Stones era Jets.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:21 pm

markjazzbassist wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:25 am
A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:53 am
Rolls Rp220 dual tube pre. Bought it cheap with a broken channel. The switching jack in the instrument input is stuck so it won’t pass the mic connection. I’m hoping to sort that out today and swap the tubes and chips for something nicer than stock.
These get mixed reviews.I’ve got lots of good to great pre channels already so I’d be happy even if it ends up as a microphone fuzz box.
any update on how the Rolls tube pre sounds?
I can’t give a full report yet as the holidays have slowed work to a crawl and I haven’t been able to try it on too much yet.
I’ve used it on a location gig that I do monthly. The gig is multitracking a live talk show. I run a Yamaha 8 channel pre rack for the guest and audience mics but I needed another two channels for the stereo mic in front of the house band. It did a decent enough job but it’s an application where good enough is just fine so I’m never too critical.
I’ve got a bunch of demo and overdub sessions this week and next where I’ll get into it a bit more.
I have used it as a DI a little bit and really liked it there. It did wonders for my RMI Electra piano. I love the sound of that thing once you get it into the mix but in real life it’s a bit anemic and uninspiring. A bit of dirt goes along way and the rolls did nicely.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:32 pm

I think I finally found my fave bass compressor for my pedal board, the Joe Meek FloorQ.

Also got a Mini Metal Muff and a T21 Liverpool because schizophrenia is, or not.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:06 pm

Fabfilter Pro-Q3

So sick.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:06 pm

I made a pretty great trade today. I traded a 20" Zildjian ride that was always a little to bright for my liking for a set of Degan bells.

I think I had $40 in the cymbal from my days of gear pimping.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:22 pm

I hadda look up "Degan bells" and, judging by the prices on the Ebog, "pretty great trade" is a understatement! 8)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.