Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by kslight » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:44 pm

blakeq wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:39 pm
Interested to here what you think of those monoprice pzm/boundary mics. Sale is still going on and I have been wondering about them along with the behringer ba19a.
kslight wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:13 pm
Monoprice has a boundary microphone in their stable right now, was discounted down to $35 last week so I ordered 2 (not received yet).
I am not very familiar with boundary mics, I bought these with the intent to experiment with live concert recordings and drum miking. Since neither of those are things I do at home....I don't know what the measurement of a "quality" boundary mic is, but I can tell you on my desk it records all the expected clickity clacks of my keyboard (lol), or a nearby guitar / vocal just fine, also picks up my Mac's fans and cat whining. Putting the mic on / below the bridge of my 7 string baritone acoustic sounds pretty full which is definitely a challenge I've had with normal miking.

Peculiarly, both the pad and HPF were engaged out of the box...

Cable in the box is of decent quality, like most monoprice cables.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:29 pm

Dumbarse deal o' the day:

bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:46 am

Finally! After years of hunting I have found a Tascam 238 at a decent price.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:17 am

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:46 am
Finally! After years of hunting I have found a Tascam 238 at a decent price.
i have a broken one i'm sending for repairs. i look forward to hearing your analysis of the 488 vs. the 238, i really do love the 488 so i'm expecting quite a difference if the 238 is to unseat it.

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:58 am

It's all about the lack of on board mixer for me. I'm doing everything with pres and a real mixer (or dumping tracks to pro tools) so the mixer is unneeded extras.
Also being able to output all 8 tracks at once, easily. Huge.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:05 pm

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:58 am
It's all about the lack of on board mixer for me. I'm doing everything with pres and a real mixer (or dumping tracks to pro tools) so the mixer is unneeded extras.
ah i gotcha. i'm still interested in the sonics, it's spec'd to be 30HZ at the bottom end, wheras the 488 is 40HZ, i'm wondering if that is correct and there is more low end or if it's just paper spec. That's really the only thing i'm gonna listen for when mine is fixed.

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:21 pm

Back in the day we did some demos at a studio that used a 238, and they sounded good. It would not surprise me if it sounded better than the 688/488, not passing audio through those sketchy mixer channels.

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:31 pm

markjazzbassist wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:05 pm
A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:58 am
ah i gotcha. i'm still interested in the sonics, it's spec'd to be 30HZ at the bottom end, wheras the 488 is 40HZ, i'm wondering if that is correct and there is more low end or if it's just paper spec. That's really the only thing i'm gonna listen for when mine is fixed.
Not super scientific but here's pink noise into the 238. Frequency analyzer on the left is input. Frequency analyzer on the right is playback from the cassette.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:57 am

interesting, i wonder what the 488 looks like under that when you don't use the preamps (line in channels 5-8)

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:00 am

Picked up one of them Limited EQD/DBA time shadows pedals before they sold out...very cool if you are into weird ambient / doomy kind of textures. Not for everyone.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:42 pm

Cloudlifter and a Dangerous Music D-Box and all appropriate cables.
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:31 pm

Allen and Heath GL2400

I would just ask to delete my console help thread, but there's some handy maintenance tips in there for any to refer to. I shall repair my Soundcraft no more..... (and maybe repair an A&H instead). Whatever, I've got mixing to do!

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:42 am

losthighway wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:31 pm
Allen and Heath GL2400

I would just ask to delete my console help thread, but there's some handy maintenance tips in there for any to refer to. I shall repair my Soundcraft no more..... (and maybe repair an A&H instead). Whatever, I've got mixing to do!
Nice! Did you buy new or used?

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:52 am

Scodiddly wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:42 am
losthighway wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:31 pm
Allen and Heath GL2400

Nice! Did you buy new or used?
Used. It's a bit of a roll of the dice, but I found it on ebay for a song, with free shipping, from a positively reviewed seller who sells mostly mixers. It costs only slightly more than the repair bill to recap the powersupply on my old one, and is coming faster than I could get my old one fixed.

Fingers crossed.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:02 am

I fell victim to Black Friday and bought a couple more UAD plugins (Neve 1081 and Fender 55 Tweed Deluxe). I try to buy only when there are heavy discounts and coupons and also try buy emulations of things I will probably never ever own in real life. Other plugin places are blowing stuff out cheap but there was just nothing I felt like I really wanted (or needed - how can it be?)

I also have an Istanbul Xist Ion 20" crash (crazy cymbal with the holes in it) on the way. I have an 18 already. good for certain recordings.

Btw, if you ever wanted some modern sounding Zildjian K's but could not afford them, check out the Istanbul Xist series. Super affordable and the closest thing to modern K's (not vintage jazz collector K's...). I have a set of K custom Dark's and these are very close for 1/2 or less price. they not only sound very similar, they feel very similar (on the stick).
Last edited by digitaldrummer on Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com