Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by ubertar » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:00 pm

kslight wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:09 pm
Double sided headless guitar? Received this today for review
So how do you like it? That neck looks insanely thick... seems awkward. Looks like guitar scale... are the bass strings extra thick to be tight enough at pitch, or are they tuned higher than normal? Interesting idea, but I don't see the advantage vs. having more strings on the same side, like a 6-string bass or 7 or 8 string guitar. Who wants to flip the instrument around to get to the rest of the range?

Seems like more of a novelty than something that serves a practical need. I imagine it was designed by a luthier who is not a musician.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:46 pm

ubertar wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:00 pm
kslight wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:09 pm
Double sided headless guitar? Received this today for review
So how do you like it? That neck looks insanely thick... seems awkward. Looks like guitar scale... are the bass strings extra thick to be tight enough at pitch, or are they tuned higher than normal? Interesting idea, but I don't see the advantage vs. having more strings on the same side, like a 6-string bass or 7 or 8 string guitar. Who wants to flip the instrument around to get to the rest of the range?

Seems like more of a novelty than something that serves a practical need. I imagine it was designed by a luthier who is not a musician.
Ha I understand completely, it is an odd concept. I received this as a review unit so not entirely sure of practicality, but will definitely give it a go. I expect that this could be useful for looper using musicians (like myself). That to me seems like the biggest potential application. Or perhaps the bassist that needs to switch to guitar/vice versa over the course of the set...which sounds unusual but I know of at least a couple touring bands where they only had one or two guitar players and no dedicated bass player, and that player would use a double-neck to switch to bass several times mid-set. So I could see perhaps that person finding this useful.

The whole thing is 34" tall, 1.75" thick neck (about the leg of a table), 25.5" scale guitar side, 30" scale bass side, weighs just under 10 pounds. I find the bass tension adequate, though I am accustomed to short scale basses. I don't have a set of calipers but eyeballing it I guess the low E is probably .095 or .1. Tuned standard. The guitar strings needed replaced out of the box, and I play with 11-52s primarily, so I installed those on the guitar side. I only tuned it standard, but I don't see the guitar side having any trouble if I wanted to detune a bit. Locking nut on both sides. Intonation is spot on, and once I setup the R-trem style bridge the guitar stays in tune like a champ.

To my knowledge the inventor is a musician.

I thought the thickness of the neck would be an issue but I have no trouble at all adjusting.

It is a little strange that the guitar side doesn't have a bridge pickup, though. The electronics that are there aren't bad, certainly not the worst Chinese pickups I've heard. I actually like the P on the bass side.

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:26 am

Years ago you could get a Gefell UM70 for $600-800-900, depending on how far back you go.

Well, not anymore. But this week I bought a UM70s off Reverb for $1275, which is more than I've ever paid for a mic. But I have high hopes. Selling u67 tribute mic that never blew me away, and a CAD m179, just trying to cover a portion of the cost.

Of course I won't be able listen to it seriously because my home studio is disassembled until we get some contractors to do a thing that will keep our foundation from collapsing.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:30 pm

i recently aquired a UM70 as well! off gslutz in great shape for $1200 ish too. They stopped making the UM version a while back so it's value has gone up (the current model being the UMT transformerless model)

pretty great on acoustic, vocals and amps so far (guitar and bass). Gonna try on drums soon...
the new rules : there are no rules

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue May 01, 2018 10:00 am

joninc wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:30 pm
i recently aquired a UM70 as well! off gslutz in great shape for $1200 ish too. They stopped making the UM version a while back so it's value has gone up (the current model being the UMT transformerless model)

pretty great on acoustic, vocals and amps so far (guitar and bass). Gonna try on drums soon...
I've only had one opportunity to use one of those and I used it as a room mic on the kit. I recommend trying it.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue May 22, 2018 7:34 pm

https://imgur.com/gallery/gDv4rkU

Well decided why not, so added the GR700 and programmer to complete the G707 guitar synth set.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed May 23, 2018 6:43 am

I just got the Xaudia "Beeb" upgrade/mod done on my old Reslo ribbon. I bought it on Craigslist years ago for almost nothing but it's been sittings in a drawer since because it's super low impedance and dodgy grounding made it more or less unusable.
The mod fixes all that and turns a junk drawer mic into something I can see myself using quite a bit. So far I've only had a chance to try it out on solo violin but it sounded really nice. I have a writing session tomorrow so it'll get a more overall workout then. I expect good things though.
Stewart at Xaudia was great. Excellent communication throughout the process and a super quick turn around. I think the whole process was under two weeks and most of that was shipping time from Canada to the UK and back.

Randyman...
takin' a dinner break

Post by Randyman... » Fri May 25, 2018 9:08 am

Picked up a second LittleLabs RedCloud attenuator! And I STILL haven't gotten around to getting the first RedCloud and 2nd TT patch bay installed! Gotta love those time-sinking day jobs :(
Randy V.
Audio-Dude / Musician / PC Guru / Crazy Guy

mroessler
audio school

Post by mroessler » Wed May 30, 2018 3:03 am

Just got some new Vovox cables for my monitors. They make a huge difference in listening.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:40 am

Just picked up a used Blackout Effectors FIx'd Fuzz Deluxe. I kind of needed a 'swiss army fuzz' and that box can do pretty much the entire history of fuzz tones, and all of them well. Smooth and groovy to nasal and spitty. I like using fuzz to make a 3rd guitar part in overdubs sit in a totally different place, more like a synth or a horn than the bigger or jangly guitars.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:07 am

losthighway wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:40 am
more like a synth or a horn
Yes. Totally depends on the part being played, but I like getting tuba and sax -like fuzz tones.
Village Idiot.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:28 pm

I picked up a EHX Knockout pedal, what is like a nice bass-boosting EQ, getcha some clean dub sounds.

And I bought another headless B2, this one in silver, with some flat wounds that I am loving.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

studiorat
audio school

Post by studiorat » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:50 pm

-2018 Gibson Les Paul Classic Goldtop (fan-freaking-tastic guitar.)

-3rd Power Dream Weaver (got this used for a stupid good price). Holy hell what an amp.

-A second Great River ME-1NV to give me a stereo pair (after having one for 8 years...no idea why it took me so long).

-Retro Instruments Powerstrip. Still waiting on that one to arrive, but I am really stoked. It impressed the hell out of me in several shootouts online. Can’t wait to put it through its paces.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:55 pm

shure m67. honestly it's the exact opposite of what everyone on here and on GS have said. first, it's insanely quiet, no noise at all. second it's not very dirty/furry/wooly, it sounds like a slightly warm clean preamp. the interwebs have let me down... :cry:

i didn't care about the noise just thought it was funny people said they are noisy, with gain cranked it's no noise at all. i wanted something old and furry and wooly and hairy sounding and colored out the yang. this is not it.

might try a bellari rp-220 tube pre, i have heard them described as what i'm looking for. or maybe i just need to keep waiting for an Altec 1566

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:52 pm

I've that Shure but the version w/out the meter - what meter is half the fun. It's OK but I have other stuff - the Rane MS1B, for example, is similar (1 input) but better, IMNSFHO.

What I wanted to say, for fuzzy pre that's cheap - Studio Projects VTB1.

It was my second pre (I still use my first, Meek VC3Q for a parallel bass DI).

It's fully usable as any other cheap pre, but gained up as a fuzzed pre or a bass DI - it just sounds great. And probably around US$100 or less ...

FWIW, my go to wooly-bully is a Altec 1589b, follered by a racked PM1000. Somewhat cheaper then them but above the VTB1 but also usable (and with kinda quirky but flexible pre-sets that work like EQ) is the ART TPS 1 (two channels, it's my go-to stereo keys DI) ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.