Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by vvv » Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:28 pm

Digitech Ventura Vibe - whadda cool pedal! I'm jonesin' to do some shoegazin', and so I wanted some stereo FX. A tele into a Dirty Little Secret II into the Ventura stereo'd out to a Digitech Cabdry into a ART TSP = chef's kiss. No amp, and it sounds really good, makes me happy.

Almost as happy as being top of the page again ... :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:47 am

Squier Jazzmaster

I did a partscaster thing with one years ago, swapping out pickups and the bridge. It was one of my favorite guitars when all was done. It was stolen. I'm starting over.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:11 am

Scodiddly wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:05 pm
Are you doing your own fixup work?
I'm attempting it. there is plenty of info out there... and it seems better to me now, but I'm a drummer so what the hell do I know? the real test comes later today when I have some real guitar players check it out. :mrgreen:
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:32 pm

I grabbed a Purple Audio PEQr and whoa, that air band is really terrific on acoustic guitar. The 80hz boost is nice for bass DI, as well. I’d like to get a second - bet it’d be a nice BAX-type eq on a buss.

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:34 pm

Quilter bass amp and cab - Bass Block 802 and BassDock 10.
Should be loud enough for potential gigs (and I can run my Markbass 2x10 cab with it for a little more oomph).

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:10 am

I decided to upgrade my PC (Dell XPS from a few years ago to a current generation Dell XPS). Both are i5's but 4 years has made some difference... (higher cpu mark, but also faster memory speed, etc). now the arduous task of moving everything over to the new system. Of course I will use this opportunity to reload everything and then only the things I actually use, and hopefully it all goes smoothly! And then to see how these numbers really translate to the DAW...
-
xps.jpg
Mike

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:49 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:10 am
I decided to upgrade my PC (Dell XPS from a few years ago to a current generation Dell XPS). Both are i5's but 4 years has made some difference... (higher cpu mark, but also faster memory speed, etc). now the arduous task of moving everything over to the new system. Of course I will use this opportunity to reload everything and then only the things I actually use, and hopefully it all goes smoothly! And then to see how these numbers really translate to the DAW...
-
xps.jpg
This was going to be one of my summer projects, but I think I've chickened out. Those changes are always worth it, but they really stress me out.

That and every time I start getting money together for a new computer, I realize I can turn that money into a guitar or microphone!

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:01 pm

surprisingly it's gone pretty good. One reason is that my old drives were sata SSDs and I moved one over as-is, but re-installed onto a new boot drive (which is now NVMe). Then I have one of those USB3 to Sata dongles so I could mount the previous boot drive and copy missing pieces over... (like pro tools i/O settings, and a few samples an other things that were not part of the install). Speaking of which I re-installed Pro Tools and every plugin I wanted back on there... then I had to sort through which ones were ilok, and which had separate authorizations (big pain in the ass) and then chase down a few auth codes and logins... it has taken 4-5 hours of downtime.

so now I think I'm at about 98%+ back to normal. I'm sure there will be a couple things I forgot and won't remember until I'm in a session and try to use them or find them... but I also have my backups and I can restore a file or two from there if needed too.
Mike

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:09 pm

I bought a melodica.

A $50 impulse purchase. I produced a record for a friend where my electric harmonium/reed organ thing became a key voice on a song. Now he wants me to bring his record to the stage and asked if I could bring that keyboard (among many other things). My idea is that the melodica will be close enough because it's much easier to shlep!

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:23 pm

Electric harmonium sounds intriguing. Are we talking electric air pump or electric amplification?
Many years ago I had an Everett Orgatron. I bought it for $10 at the goodwill. It was one of the first electric organs, maybe from the late 30's/early 40's. It was a giant air organ with pick-ups on the reeds. The pick-up system was later bought by Wurlitzer for their electric pianos. It was a giant crazy machine. When I turned it on the lights would momentarily dim in the studio. One day it caught fire on start up and that was that. It's a shame. It sounded so great.

https://collections.nmc.ca/objects/355/everett-orgatron

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:19 pm

Joyo D-Seed delay (1st recording):

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14262106
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:24 pm

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:23 pm
Electric harmonium sounds intriguing. Are we talking electric air pump or electric amplification?
Many years ago I had an Everett Orgatron. I bought it for $10 at the goodwill. It was one of the first electric organs, maybe from the late 30's/early 40's. It was a giant air organ with pick-ups on the reeds. The pick-up system was later bought by Wurlitzer for their electric pianos. It was a giant crazy machine. When I turned it on the lights would momentarily dim in the studio. One day it caught fire on start up and that was that. It's a shame. It sounded so great.

That sounds awesome. Going down flames is pretty romantic, assuming that there was no other personal or property damage.

Mine is just electric air pump, no amplification. You just hear the reeds (and some fan noise for sure). Also a $10 goodwill find. I almost dumped it in the move years ago, but it seems like every 7 or 8th project it finds a starring role on one song. It is almost 1/4 step flat, but I figured out the pitch shift on my Yamaha spx90 can correct it. It's kind of a process.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:26 pm

losthighway wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:24 pm
A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:23 pm

That sounds awesome. Going down flames is pretty romantic, assuming that there was no other personal or property damage.

Mine is just electric air pump, no amplification. You just hear the reeds (and some fan noise for sure). Also a $10 goodwill find. I almost dumped it in the move years ago, but it seems like every 7 or 8th project it finds a starring role on one song. It is almost 1/4 step flat, but I figured out the pitch shift on my Yamaha spx90 can correct it. It's kind of a process.
Ah yes. I've got one of those as well. The wooden ones made by Farfisa seem to fare better in the tuning department. Mine is pretty good except for one button on the bass/chord side. For such a humble instrument it gets used all the time. It's all over my bands recent project. It seems to fit really well with acoustic music but it can also sound really raunchy and aggressive in the right context. It pairs really well with hurdy gurdy too......if that's ever a thing for you. It hard for me to believe that I've used those two together a few times in recent years.

If you want in tune and portable there's an iPad app that's bang on.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:19 am

Picked up a pair of Neumann NDH20 headphones because I have some sessions coming up where I won't have a dedicated control room for monitoring, and my current reference pair are open-backed (ath-r70x... amazing).

I don't know if there is something wrong with them or what, but man, they do not sound good to me at all. Definitely sending them back.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:23 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:19 am
Picked up a pair of Neumann NDH20 headphones because I have some sessions coming up where I won't have a dedicated control room for monitoring, and my current reference pair are open-backed (ath-r70x... amazing).

I don't know if there is something wrong with them or what, but man, they do not sound good to me at all. Definitely sending them back.
Let me know how you like the Neumanns. Since getting Nuendo, I am beginning to get into Ambisonics mixing. So I too shall need a quality set of sonic earmuffs.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.