Post by vvv » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:33 pm

bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by T-rex » Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:59 pm

Over the past pandemic year or so I’ve changed up pretty much my whole drum set up. I finally found a set of C&C drums in black tie butcher block, I bought a set of Istanbul cymbals and I finally pulled the trigger on a World Max Black Beauty type snare. I bought a 6.5.x 14 and they were had just sold out, but they would give me the 8 x 14 for the same price. I was hesitant but tried it and it’s fantastic.

I’ll update the pics in a bit, can’t figure out how to post from mobile.

https://flic.kr/p/2kUQgXx

https://flic.kr/p/2kUJA3o
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:57 pm

Electro-Voice 641.
Electro-Voice 641.jpg
Electro-Voice 641.jpg (246.22 KiB) Viewed 2900 times
Rescued from my pack-rat younger self. It was in a music junk drawer, still with a mono 1/8" plug attached. I used to use it in college with a funky little cassette recorder, sort of a proto-Walkman voice dictation thing. Sounds pretty similar to a 635a.

I originally bought it from the University of Michigan Property Disposition warehouse, a place where I acquired all sorts of old audio junk while I was in high school. This is probably the only thing I have left from all of that.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:40 pm

2 things.
First is the Oberheim Strummer. I immediately bought the Drummer and Cyclone EPROMS that can be used in the same box, and I'm a little perturbed I didn't buy one of these sooner. I've been using the Drummer version on the last couple of things I've done, & I'm quite happy with it.
strummer.jpg
strummer.jpg (173.7 KiB) Viewed 2891 times
Second is not newly acquired. Newly housed, yes. Newly functional, yes. Still unfinished. What is planned as a mixer is currently just a large and very heavy 8 channel mic pre. Also used on the last couple things I've done. Still debugging, but overall I'm quite happy with it as well, and relieved to be using it instead of working on it.
mixer.jpg
mixer.jpg (197.55 KiB) Viewed 2891 times

Colorblind
takin' a dinner break

Post by Colorblind » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:33 am

Three EV 635a’s for $50/ea Canadian. AND my wife just surprised me with an AEA R84 she bought from Tobin Sprout for my birthday. Blown away.

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Post by alexdingley » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:58 am

Honestly... with the birth of our daughter, nearly 1yr ago... I was pretty sure that the most-used recent studio purchase was gonna be "all of the dust-covers I bought for my gear", but it's turned out to be a good time to slowly improve little things.

I recently sold off a BUNCH of old dynamics, and outboard gear that I rarely ever used / wasn't likely to make use of again... and I was all ready to pull the trigger on an SSL 500 bus-comp & 2 500-series Määg EQ4s... but then I realized that I've been monitoring on a pair of ~20 y/o Hafler TRM-8's that I don't know if I ever really enjoyed, and my alternative monitors were a pair of Paradigm home-hi-fi towers, running off of a (turns out to be) failing Hafler Pro 2400 amp. So... with the recent investment in some acoustic treatments, I thought... maybe it's time to buy me some big-boy monitoring.

I took the scratch from my recent sales, (and then some) and just grabbed a pair of Focal Twin 6be and a Focal Sub 6 — really really excited.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:41 am

vvv wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:33 pm
Maybe I should get one of these, it looks like it says “Suck” on the headstock :twisted:

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:51 pm

Played it some today for a friend wanted to know about the bridge pup tele sound.

It's there, a touch quieter and brighter; I love the sound.

I will note the neck is thicker and slower than my Am-Tele.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri May 07, 2021 2:55 pm

Got the Realistic Electronic Reverb from winky dinglehoffer a month or two ago and decided to turn it into a pedal (with a few mods). I got the parts a few weeks ago but am only getting around to it now. The box has had all the jacks, switches and pots added and wired. Now I just need to wire in the circuit board. I've got about another hour to go before I can test it. Fingers crossed.

The switches across the top from left to right will be a normal/way more reverb switch, mic/line in, mic/line out. The mic/line switches just eliminate the need for separate ins and outs for mic and line. The big knob is Mic input volume (aka fuzz), delay time, repeat and wet/dry control.

Looking froward to wrapping this up so I can play with it.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri May 07, 2021 3:37 pm

Very cool; I hope you post some samples.

I bought a low Gator small-amp stand to use for small amps and a taller Musicians Gear "deluxe" medium-amp stand to use for small keyboards.

And I also bought a watched EQD Plumes because a seller reduced by $10, and then the day it was delivered I received and offer from another seller for $5 cheaper than I paid, as well as one for $5 more. :evil: I haven't hadda chance to work it yet.

Finally, I bought 2 x 50' mic cords, from that Audiosavings link in the other thread, only to have a new guitarist collab'r tell me he gets mic cables for free from his job. :evil: The ones I ordered are colored tho' (blue for close, red for room), which is handy, and were the lowest price I could find to run from the amp in my ranch house living room to the pre's in the back bedroom.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Fri May 07, 2021 4:32 pm

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 2:55 pm
Got the Realistic Electronic Reverb from winky dinglehoffer
That looks awesome, Dave! I'm glad to see you've upgraded it to a silverface--that'll add 10-15% more mojo easily.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri May 07, 2021 5:31 pm

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 2:55 pm
Got the Realistic Electronic Reverb from winky dinglehoffer a month or two ago and decided to turn it into a pedal (with a few mods).
Fantastic!

Someone needs to do the same with the infamous eq, make a special TOMB edition.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat May 08, 2021 7:05 am

I picked up a DW foot tambourine for some acoustic gigs where I'll be mostly playing my 5 gallon water bottle as a hand drum, but I have it with my drumset for the moment.
https://www.instagram.com/p/COlysRtheh9 ... _copy_link

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat May 08, 2021 8:59 am

Picked up a 1958 Hammond M-3 organ.

Super stoked!!!

I got some oil for it, and once that is in, I can go through it and see if it needs any repairs.

It looks mint. One previous owner, sat in her living room for decades. She passed, her son had to get rid of it.

The oil cost me more than the organ, but I still need to fire it up and see what else needs replacing.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Sat May 08, 2021 9:56 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 8:59 am
Picked up a 1958 Hammond M-3 organ.

Super stoked!!!

I got some oil for it, and once that is in, I can go through it and see if it needs any repairs.

It looks mint. One previous owner, sat in her living room for decades. She passed, her son had to get rid of it.

The oil cost me more than the organ, but I still need to fire it up and see what else needs replacing.
NICE!! that's the model Booker T used.