transmothra
gimme a little kick & snare

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by transmothra » Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:28 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:51 pm
vvv wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:42 pm
I gotta site where a small number of international/foreigner friends post (currently Scotland, England, and Texas).
Technically, we Texans are not yet international or foreigners. But someone is always talking seccession, so who knows what's in store...
Well, to somebody we're all foreigners! As a matter of fact, i believe most of the planet are even members of Foreigner by now
...do you believe that?
Scarlett 212 1st Gen | Reaper | PreSonus Eris E5/A-T ATH-M20x
transmothra.com

Mark
tinnitus

Post by Mark » Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:22 am

Bloody Foreigner coming over here wanting to know what love is :x
WWRHS?

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:57 am

A while back I had to replace my monitors at home. For maybe 5 years I had been using Eve Audio SC205s. One of them had its power supply fail. I had to pay for the repair myself and it took quite a bit of time. The second one started to go so I gave up on them a few months ago and got a set of Neumann KH80s that I had some experience with and liked a lot. My home setup is kind of in the only place it could possibly be located. I can't really move the desk and it's next to the wall so there's no room for speaker stands. We have Sound Anchors stands at Cowboy Technical and they sound terrific. I'd also used some of those heavy console bridge things from PrimeAcoustic at our last place so I was wondering if there was anything that would help my monitors on the consumer shelves they sit on. I got a set of IsoAcoustic's Iso-Puck Minis for them from the Amazons. They came in a day and were absolutely simple to get going. For $99 I got better imaging and clearer lows with my set up.

I like an affordable gadget that works. These things fit that bill for me at home.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:54 am

I should really try those myself. I had some of the mopad style foam blocks (but off-brand) and they were worthless. I forgot about these - they would fit perfectly where I need them too...
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:57 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:54 am
I should really try those myself. I had some of the mopad style foam blocks (but off-brand) and they were worthless. I forgot about these - they would fit perfectly where I need them too...
Application dependent, of course. I was at some place where they had those Recoil Stabilizer things, and when removed you could just feel the bass transferring into the furniture instead of going anywhere useful. Was kind of an eye-opener for me.

But then I've got my little monitors on stacks of books, which at least are sort of solid rather than being a little wire shelf or whatever.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:13 pm

Got the new Tape Op issue today and I don’t know if anyone here has used Mixwave plugins yet? In my search for a decent spring plugin I ran across the Mixwave Bensen Tall Bird and personally, I think it sounds fantastic. I’ve used it on guitars in every mix since I got it which I think was $49 on sale.

Anyway, in the new issue they reviewed their Coil 70S plugin. I downloaded the demo an hour ago and it sounds pretty damn good on lots of things. Probably gonna be picking this up.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:59 am

I did order this: https://www.proaudiostar.com/audix-club-kit.html

for $169+ tax, you get a D6, i5, OM2, mic clips, and an aluminum flight case (and from what I understand some other stuff too - coffee mug, t-shirt, etc) and that's all for less than what they want for just the D6 mic ($199). So even though I already have all of these mics, I'll probably sell my old D6 and i5 and keep the OM2 (and be close to breaking even).

Anyway, if you don't have a kick and snare mic, these are a pretty good place to start.
Mike

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:48 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:59 am

for $169+ tax, you get a D6, i5, OM2, mic clips, and an aluminum flight case (and from what I understand some other stuff too - coffee mug, t-shirt, etc) and that's all for less than what they want for just the D6 mic ($199). So even though I already have all of these mics, I'll probably sell my old D6 and i5 and keep the OM2 (and be close to breaking even).

Anyway, if you don't have a kick and snare mic, these are a pretty good place to start.
That's a stupid good deal. I know nothing about these mics, but know the D6 and i5 have became "industry standards" over the years. The only time i used a D6, it was on snare drum of all places!!! I can't remember why I tried that... it was like 20 years ago.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:04 am

trodden wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:48 pm
digitaldrummer wrote:

That's a stupid good deal. I know nothing about these mics, but know the D6 and i5 have became "industry standards" over the years. The only time i used a D6, it was on snare drum of all places!!! I can't remember why I tried that... it was like 20 years ago.
I tend to use these more for live sound these days (I prefer other mics in the studio), and they do a great job there. And yes, excellent deal for 3 mics (and more).
Mike

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:08 am

trodden wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:48 pm
digitaldrummer wrote:

I think the audix live mics are pretty great, I used them a lot, in studio even. For heavy music they work quite well. Also have the whole set (d6, d4, d2x2, i5, mounts, and case trying to sell).

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:58 pm

T-rex wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:13 pm
Got the new Tape Op issue today and I don’t know if anyone here has used Mixwave plugins yet? In my search for a decent spring plugin I ran across the Mixwave Bensen Tall Bird and personally, I think it sounds fantastic. I’ve used it on guitars in every mix since I got it which I think was $49 on sale.

Anyway, in the new issue they reviewed their Coil 70S plugin. I downloaded the demo an hour ago and it sounds pretty damn good on lots of things. Probably gonna be picking this up.
Checking out some of their stuff now. I'm not generally interested in amp modeling, but damn does the Creamer sound really good slapped on some guitar DI tracks I recorded to reamp later. I'll check out the Benson model next.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:31 pm

Ok, the Benson is also awesome.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:06 pm

mjau wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:31 pm
Right? I have the studio plugin version, there is a guitar one as well I think. I wanted the real thing, but I they were so backlogged with orders they weren’t making any and the few I found were hella expensive used. While looking I came across the plugin and thought, well I have to try it; and it’s sooo good. I really think they nailed the spring sound on there. I need to try their guitar models but I don’t want to spend anything more right now. The milkman looks sweet.

The CA-70s is ridiculously versatile for the small number of knobs. Have you gone through the presets? It does like a megaphone thing, distortion, high end sparkle. Really crazy how versatile it is. I didn’t expect that.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:36 pm

T-rex wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:06 pm
mjau wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:31 pm
The CA-70s is ridiculously versatile for the small number of knobs. Have you gone through the presets? It does like a megaphone thing, distortion, high end sparkle. Really crazy how versatile it is. I didn’t expect that.
Just did a quick scroll through some presets on a DI bass track - it's great. Adds some low-end heft and overall compression that reminds me a lot of the Great River mp preamp, and the drive is definitely tube-y.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:06 pm

Bought a Slick tele from guitarfetish.

It's my second one - they are heavy as hell, but sound great, look cool, have brass keys and a slick nut, are distressed, and they have best volume control of any guitar I have - love playing it into a gained-up pedal/amp. As far as guitars go in my current band, I am mostly playing a USA Tele or a Mascis Jazz, or these. I really need to get my G&L F100 set up - it almost mebbe does need a fret job.

J. Rockett Archer - a klone, made my board replacing a distortion (went thru a few lately, sat on the red Fulltone for the last few months).

Keeley Phat Mod - a klone, excellent OD with dirt. EDIT: this is actually a Blues Driver variant - I got confuzzed.

Foxpedal Kingdom - a klone, excellent OD with dirt, some switches. Gonna offer one of the last two here to my other guitarist.

Lovepedal Rubber Chicken - autowha, best I've used, made my board.

CMC 70's Fuzz - really good high-gain pedal, not dissimilar to a Muff but gainier - terrific with the above tele into a Vox NT15, just stunning, replace a bunch of high-gain pedals, most lately the Hoof and/or the Iron Horse. I wrote about this small pedal-maker before; I have some excellent Muffs and a different cool fuzz from him. I'd use the Muffs except I so like the Vick Audio which has a switch and is relatively compact.
Attachments
Vox SlickTele BrdSM.jpg
Vox SlickTele BrdSM.jpg (146.69 KiB) Viewed 2037 times
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.