Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by joninc » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:28 pm

I got a LouderThanLiftoff Silver Bullet about 6 weeks ago and have loved tracking with it and printing mixes (and today, mastering) with it. a GREAT tone box and excellent value considering it's uses for both tracking and mixing - plus a very good eq for sweetening.
the new rules : there are no rules

Randyman...
takin' a dinner break

Post by Randyman... » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:02 am

joninc wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:28 pm
I got a LouderThanLiftoff Silver Bullet about 6 weeks ago and have loved tracking with it and printing mixes (and today, mastering) with it. a GREAT tone box and excellent value considering it's uses for both tracking and mixing - plus a very good eq for sweetening.
A Silver Bullet is very likely my next purchase! Have some of the LouderThanLiftoff colour modules in the DIYRE 500 frames - they are fantastic little works of art :)

The last TapeOp has an interview with Brad McGowen from LouderThanLiftoff. He's also a regular at GearSlutz. Seems to make some extremely interesting gear and incorporates input from the users to improve the design.

:cool:
Randy V.
Audio-Dude / Musician / PC Guru / Crazy Guy

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:04 pm

vvv wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:14 am
I was referencing the Cheap Trick choon, actually. :lol:
Me too, it and "Heaven Tonight" feature a mandocello, tuned like I said.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:19 pm

8)

Bought a few pedals - a Memory Boy I've not had at yet, a Ashdown Lomenzo bass distortion pedal that is bvery cool in applying distortion basically just to the bass' mids, and a Boneshaker pedal what has a cool EQ that I think will end up on my live bass board.

On the ^&%$^%&& :evil: tip, I ordered a real pretty Revelation RTF 60 offset guitar from Ye Merry Olde for an excellent "best offer" price. Paid it, and the order cleared. A cuppla weeks later and I get a notice from the Ebog hat the shipment was rejected due to CITES. Yep, it has a rosewood fingerboard. :shake:

Think I'll start a new thread ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

darnell
takin' a dinner break

Post by darnell » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:57 pm

Picked up a Soundtracs MRX24 on CL for $500. So far, after a massive cleaning and many emails from Tim at Studio Systems, It's almost like new. Hoping to incorporate into my home mixing setup in the next couple weeks.

d.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:58 am

Built a Hairball Audio Copper preamp.

It's good. Like, real good. Build wasn't the easiest thing in the world, but I had a lot of fun and thoroughly enjoyed the learning experience. Felt like a million bucks when I put it in my rack and it worked (not at first, but I found a bad solder joint and voila!).

Will build more.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:09 am

Visual Sound Rte. 66 compressor.

Not the quietest, not the hippest, but with the boost I love it so much on bass I bought a fecund for my bass board.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:41 pm

RSE TPC-1 came today, lovely little piece of Russian homebrew at a stupid good deal.
Ordered a jamman vocal looper today on account proaudiostar is blowing them out @ $19.99 and I've already got the regular one to sync
'63 Conrad violin bass I picked up a couple months back.
Village Idiot.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:47 am

Lost a ton of stuff when my car burned up during a recent move. Not least of which was my 1957 Fender Champ. A bunch of guitars, a crate full of effects pedals, a clavichord, 88-key digital piano, tenor sax and flute, among other stuff. I wish I hadn't done such a good job packing the car. My daughter and I got out in time and were unharmed, so I'm thankful for that... as much as I'll miss some of that stuff, it is just stuff, after all. My new place required renter's insurance, and it turned out we were covered. The process is slow... it took forever to get the police report... but it looks like I'll get some dough. So I've been replacing a couple things (danelectro wasabi forward-reverse delay... best reverse delay out there and amazing tone) and got something new: a Vito (made by Yamaha in Japan) alto sax! The tenor I had I got off craigslist not long ago and was bewildered by the fingering charts, so set it aside for a while and worked on flute (similar fingerings but the chart made sense to me). I hadn't gotten back to the sax before the fire... I was waiting to be in the new place where there'd be no upstairs or downstairs neighbors to be bothered by it. I got an alto this time (an affordable quality tenor was kind of a fluke) and it turns out the work on the flute paid off... I can't get enough of playing the sax. The guitar is getting jealous.

Also got a small stone mini phaser for my birthday, and did a mod that gives you the added options of saw tooth and reverse saw tooth along with the original sine wave for the sweep. Waiting on a couple switches to do another mod that replaces the mode switch with two so you can change its parameters (width and something else, I forget what) separately. Very simple and useful.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:30 pm

Woah, some story! Scary shite!

Because yer daughter was there, we know it wasn't :high: around the high-test.

Out of curiosity, how (in what manner) is the ins company valuing the damage?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:35 pm

ubertar wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:47 am
Lost a ton of stuff when my car burned up during a recent move. Not least of which was my 1957 Fender Champ. A bunch of guitars, a crate full of effects pedals, a clavichord, 88-key digital piano, tenor sax and flute, among other stuff. I wish I hadn't done such a good job packing the car. My daughter and I got out in time and were unharmed, so I'm thankful for that... as much as I'll miss some of that stuff, it is just stuff, after all. My new place required renter's insurance, and it turned out we were covered. The process is slow... it took forever to get the police report... but it looks like I'll get some dough. So I've been replacing a couple things (danelectro wasabi forward-reverse delay... best reverse delay out there and amazing tone) and got something new: a Vito (made by Yamaha in Japan) alto sax! The tenor I had I got off craigslist not long ago and was bewildered by the fingering charts, so set it aside for a while and worked on flute (similar fingerings but the chart made sense to me). I hadn't gotten back to the sax before the fire... I was waiting to be in the new place where there'd be no upstairs or downstairs neighbors to be bothered by it. I got an alto this time (an affordable quality tenor was kind of a fluke) and it turns out the work on the flute paid off... I can't get enough of playing the sax. The guitar is getting jealous.

Also got a small stone mini phaser for my birthday, and did a mod that gives you the added options of saw tooth and reverse saw tooth along with the original sine wave for the sweep. Waiting on a couple switches to do another mod that replaces the mode switch with two so you can change its parameters (width and something else, I forget what) separately. Very simple and useful.
Wow, man. I'm glad you and your daughter are ok. Sorry to hear about your mishap.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:14 am

vvv wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:30 pm
Woah, some story! Scary shite!

Because yer daughter was there, we know it wasn't :high: around the high-test.

Out of curiosity, how (in what manner) is the ins company valuing the damage?
Replacement cost, which is good, b/c I didn't spend nearly as much as what these things were worth. The 57 Champ, for example, I got at a yard sale for ten bucks. There's a cap, and a deductible. The deductible might be waived b/c the value exceeds the cap by quite a bit.

Yeah, it was pretty scary. We were going down the NJ Turnpike, making really good time (for a change... usually it takes forever just to get out of the city) and sparks started coming out of the hood, then black smoke. I slowed down as much as I could and got into the right-most lane and then the brakes seemed to give out. I pulled over onto the shoulder and the texture of the shoulder slowed me to a stop. I told my daughter to get out of the car then I got out. As I was getting out, the car filled with black smoke. The hood went on fire. We got away from the car as quickly as possible... every time a car is on fire in a movie or on tv it always blows up. It didn't blow up. Someone else stopped and took us to her car to wait. It was a really cold night and we had taken off our winter coats and had the heat on in the car, so we were without coats, so it was nice to wait inside another car. When the cops came, they took us to their car to wait. The flames were really high and I could see them in the rear view mirror. The officer told me the car was fully engulfed in flame. We waited for a long time before the cop took us to a hotel and it burned the whole time. When I called the towing company, they told me nothing survived, and I believed them. It took almost two months to get the police report. After that, the insurance guy called the towing co. and they said there were two guitars sitting in the office, unharmed. I called them again, and the same woman who told me nothing survived insisted nothing else survived. I went up and got the guitars, a cheapo 70s slab electric (cool, but not worth any $... I had totally forgotten about it; I didn't put it on my insurance list) and my Alvarez Regent acoustic... again, cool, but not really worth any $. It defies reason how these two could be completely unscathed while everything else (it was a LOT of stuff) was destroyed. So I think the tow-truck drivers must have picked clean whatever didn't burn, and left the couple things they didn't want. I'm surprised they didn't leave the stuff I made; I wouldn't think they'd have a clue what to do with that.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:16 am

drumsound wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:35 pm
Wow, man. I'm glad you and your daughter are ok. Sorry to hear about your mishap.
Thanks, I appreciate it.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:32 am

Wow. Glad you're both okay, and to hear of the kindness of a stranger.
Village Idiot.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:39 am

Helluva story, there! "fully engulfed in flame" = dayumn! :shock:

I've thrown a rod in two different vehicles over the years (I have a heavy foot :twisted: ), one became an engine fire, but not the whole car.

And yep, didn't realize tow guys were also musicians, eh? As well as [apparent] thieves ... (I actually ran tow trucks for a cuppla years back in the late 70's, never stole nuthin', tho'.)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.