Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

drumsound
zen recordist

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by drumsound » Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:57 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:35 am
I wanted a kit with deep power toms in the studio (because sometimes I need that sound and all my other kits are "standard" size), so I picked up this old Pearl Export. It had a stainless wrap but looks like it was gigged without cases. So I "re-finished" or maybe re-purposed the existing wrap. I call it "BB Gun Fight". It sounds pretty good, but unfortunately it's still not really the sound I was looking for so I will probably just move this onto the chopping block anyway... it was a fun project though.

BBgunfight.jpg
I like the BB gun finish. The Exports are fine first drumsets, but not anything special.

I'm in the opposite boat, I've been thinking about a set with shallower toms.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:52 am

drumsound wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:57 am
I like the BB gun finish. The Exports are fine first drumsets, but not anything special.
totally agree on the exports - I played them as a kid, when that's what I could afford.

and I decided to just pick up an extra tom or 2 (it's the studio so who cares how it looks) and mix and match where needed so I can get the sounds I wanted. And it takes up less space then a bunch of other full kits... once I switch my brain into performance mode, I like to be able to quickly grab a "sound" off the shelf without needing to swap heads and do a major re-tune. goes for cymbals, snares and toms. BD gets swapped less often.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:27 am

1965 Hofner 500/2 Club Bass - I've wanted one of these for a while, i owned the Violin "Beetle" bass but i'm not a big beetles or macca fan and was tired of the Paul worship/questions that came everytime i played it. This model is way more comfortable and ergonomic for playing seated or standing, similar sound to the violin bass. very happy.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:45 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:52 am
drumsound wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:57 am
totally agree on the exports - I played them as a kid, when that's what I could afford.

and I decided to just pick up an extra tom or 2 (it's the studio so who cares how it looks) and mix and match where needed so I can get the sounds I wanted. And it takes up less space then a bunch of other full kits... once I switch my brain into performance mode, I like to be able to quickly grab a "sound" off the shelf without needing to swap heads and do a major re-tune. goes for cymbals, snares and toms. BD gets swapped less often.
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:26 am

Just picked up a University Sound 2040 Omni dynamic for $20 at a flea market. I can't find anything about this mic online and info on University Sound is hard to come by too. There seems to be an Altec connection at some point in their history and they also seem to have rebadged EV mics at various points. Preservation Sound has a University catalog from the 60's that has models that look similar to mine but not quite the same - http://www.preservationsound.com/2011/1 ... irca-1963/
Anyway, for $20 it's pretty decent. I put it up next to a 635a and it held it's own. It doesn't have as much high end as the 635a but it has way more lows and body.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:24 pm

bought a broken gooseneck mic with a Shure DY61C capsule.

MUZAK baby!!! It says so on the capsule. LOL.

I look forward to making this work.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:54 pm

EQD Dispatch Master and Keely Caverns, both v. 1, because the were relatively inexpensive (under US$100).

They will both see use, the DM* especially as it has many sounds with but 4 knobs, altho' the Caverns has top-mount jacks. The DM is a much thicker delay and 'verb, also, the Caverns more like glaze than frosting.

And a second Digitech Cabdry, because I really like 'em and I have more than one DI board.

And a 2-button momentary switch for the Beatbuddy Mini 2 (Hotone's was US$23 with a 4' stereo cable, much cheaper than Beatbuddy's own).

*You can hear it all over the EP I'm about to upload ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:56 pm

Focusrite Clarett+ 8p to give me 8 addition ins and outs connected to my Digi 192 via ADAT/Optical. As I was afraid of, the D/A of the Clarett+ is much nicer sounding than the D/A of the 192. So now I have to fret over which 8 stems come out of the Focusrite and which 8 come out of the 192 when I'm mixing. I've not compared the A/D yet. I suspect better, but I'm not sure what to expect against my BlackLion Sparrow mkII which I always use for overdubs and mix down.

Via the Clarett+8P, I now have a mobile 8 track interface with 8 preamps as well.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:23 am

trodden wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:56 pm
Focusrite Clarett+ 8p to give me 8 addition ins and outs
with the Clarett+ 8pre and Clarett+ Octopre, you could have 16 channels over USB ... and pretty inexpensive for 16 I/O that are decent sounding. And it does have 2 pair of ADAT connectors so it can go up to 96KHz for all 16 channels. an Apollo 16 would run about $4K (new) for 16 channels. The Clarett+ pair under $1800. Would be even more interesting if Focusrite had some built-in DSP/FPGA and plugins for tracking, because that's really about the only reason I have the UAD now.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:51 pm

Treated myself to a Fluke 115 multimeter - I have a beast of a Fluke 123B Scopemeter in my travelling kit, but on my bench it's been the same cheap Metex that I bought from Jameco like 20 years ago. Actually surprised how long that meter has lasted and given me good service, but it'll have to settle for show-bag duty from now on.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:48 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:23 am
trodden wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:56 pm
Focusrite Clarett+ 8p to give me 8 addition ins and outs
with the Clarett+ 8pre and Clarett+ Octopre, you could have 16 channels over USB ... and pretty inexpensive for 16 I/O that are decent sounding. And it does have 2 pair of ADAT connectors so it can go up to 96KHz for all 16 channels. an Apollo 16 would run about $4K (new) for 16 channels. The Clarett+ pair under $1800. Would be even more interesting if Focusrite had some built-in DSP/FPGA and plugins for tracking, because that's really about the only reason I have the UAD now.
Right on. Yeah, the idea is that when I do upgrade my complete system, likely a used Apollo rig, this will still be useable!

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:55 am

Scodiddly wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:51 pm
Treated myself to a Fluke 115 multimeter - I have a beast of a Fluke 123B Scopemeter in my travelling kit, but on my bench it's been the same cheap Metex that I bought from Jameco like 20 years ago. Actually surprised how long that meter has lasted and given me good service, but it'll have to settle for show-bag duty from now on.
Truly the height of nerdom when one refers to buying a new multimeter as "treating themself." :P

Scodiddly

Post by Scodiddly » Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:32 pm

drumsound wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:55 am
Truly the height of nerdom when one refers to buying a new multimeter as "treating themself." :P
It's said that a man with a meter can be sure, but a man with two meters is never certain.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:55 am

Scodiddly wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:32 pm
drumsound wrote:
It's said that a man with a meter can be sure, but a man with two meters is never certain.
I've never heard that. Does that mean there's a THIRD meter in your future?

Scodiddly

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:03 pm

drumsound wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:55 am
Scodiddly wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:32 pm
drumsound wrote:
I've never heard that. Does that mean there's a THIRD meter in your future?
I own rather a collection. The issue is that once you start comparing meter readings you start questioning all your tools.

I think the quote is more accurately "a man with a meter is certain, a man with two meters is certain of nothing".