Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by digitaldrummer » Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:24 am

recently picked up a used Klark Teknik 2A-KT (their LA-2A clone -- I had a 2A-KT when they first came out. not sure why it changed names later). Then upgraded the optical module with a Kenetek T4B. Still getting used to it but it sounds pretty good so far. I may swap tubes or even upgrade some of the caps eventually. KT opted for 2 x 12AX7's, a 6AQ5 and an EL84 (which is much more common than what is in an LA2A) so pretty easy to get replacements (and only 1 x12ax7 and the el84 are in the audio path - others are for side-chain/compression).

I had sold the first one because back then I was only using it for mixing and the UAD plugins sounded really close to the same (or better). but then I later realized that while you can put a compressor plugin in UA's console, it comes after the converter - which means you can't push your preamp because you'll always be driving the converter into the red (not good). So I realized I needed hardware compressors for tracking, and thus my change of heart. Now if I want I can push my preamps, then control levels with compression/limiting before it hits the converter.
Last edited by digitaldrummer on Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:24 am

I got a 20" Istanbul Agop XIST crash because I discovered a crack in my vintage Zildjian (of which I am STILL bummed out by)

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:51 am

Dano Longhorn
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:39 pm

A trio of DIY DI boxes that originally came from a long-shuttered local studio. Triad transformers inside, which makes me happy.

And vvv, hopefully you'll get even half as much use out of your longhorn as I do out of my Dano Hodad. That's always the first bass I go for when I'm recording.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:42 pm

drumsound wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:24 am
I got a 20" Istanbul Agop XIST crash because I discovered a crack in my vintage Zildjian (of which I am STILL bummed out by)
I hate when that happens... but those are the closest thing to a modern K at 1/2 the price. Great cymbals.
Mike

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:14 pm

vvv wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:51 am
Dano Longhorn
Always had a soft spot for these.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:05 pm

Sweet light, fast, 30" scale - huge variations in tone on the bass (bass) sound - came with some foam behind the bridge and I like it.

The Longhorn came with TI flats, also, which are themselves pretty cool, if rather expensive.

I shall be recording it forthwith as part of my personal March MPR challenge, see. :twisted:

(I'm still shopping for a semi-hollow body bass, what I was looking for when I found this and hadda get it. Thinking onna Ibanez ABG as they seem the most reasonably-priced but quality/name-brand imports). I also have a line onna used Eastwood, but it's shortscale.)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:14 pm

vvv wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:05 pm
Sweet light, fast, 30" scale - huge variations in tone on the bass (bass) sound - came with some foam behind the bridge and I like it.

The Longhorn came with TI flats, also, which are themselves pretty cool, if rather expensive.

I shall be recording it forthwith as part of my personal March MPR challenge, see. :twisted:

(I'm still shopping for a semi-hollow body bass, what I was looking for when I found this and hadda get it. Thinking onna Ibanez ABG as they seem the most reasonably-priced but quality/name-brand imports). I also have a line onna used Eastwood, but it's shortscale.)

Yeah I do enjoy 30-32” scale basses for sure.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:38 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:42 pm
drumsound wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:24 am
I hate when that happens... but those are the closest thing to a modern K at 1/2 the price. Great cymbals.
There are a few different makers in Turkey making nice cymbals. I've got this one, an Istanbul Mehmet 18", a Bospherous that got cracked when a mic stand was accidentally placed in its way, a Turkish 17", and an Antolian ride that's dry and cool.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:26 pm

drumsound wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:38 am
There are a few different makers in Turkey making nice cymbals.
yeah, I have a few from "Masterwork" which are really nice for jazz gigs and then I have some big Soultone Vintage 1964 pies that I really like too (wasn't as impressed with some other Soultones I heard but I really like these!)
Mike

Colorblind
takin' a dinner break

Post by Colorblind » Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:36 pm

A silverface Vibro Champ which sadly arrived with a farty speaker (replacement on the way), and a Squier CV Jaguar. It took some work to turn the guitar into something playable, but it's pretty solid now.
Squier Jag Crop.jpg
Squier Jag Crop.jpg (136.54 KiB) Viewed 18142 times

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:51 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:26 pm
drumsound wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:38 am
There are a few different makers in Turkey making nice cymbals.
yeah, I have a few from "Masterwork" which are really nice for jazz gigs and then I have some big Soultone Vintage 1964 pies that I really like too (wasn't as impressed with some other Soultones I heard but I really like these!)
Those are interesting. I'd forgotten about Soultone. 1964 is when my Zildjian is from...

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:19 am

Colorblind wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:36 pm
A silverface Vibro Champ which sadly arrived with a farty speaker (replacement on the way), and a Squier CV Jaguar. It took some work to turn the guitar into something playable, but it's pretty solid now.

Squier Jag Crop.jpg
I am recently a fan of some of the things Squier puts out, but I can’t for the life of me understand why they load otherwise pretty solid models with beginner-unfriendly vintage style bridges. Beginners get frustrated, and people that buy Squiers for projects often throw it away for a modern bridge that costs almost as much as the guitar. Out of the box these are so much better with a plain stop tailpiece or standard 2 point trem if they must have a wiggle stick.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:41 am

kslight wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:19 am
standard 2 point trem if they must have a wiggle stick.
I agree that the stock JM bridge is useless garbage, but the trem is a thing of sublime beauty, no one's gonna put a regular 2 pt trem on a Jag or Jazzmaster. Ok FINE, someone will, there's people who'll put a Floyd on a 335, but generally if you're buying a JM you want that trem, cause there's nothing else like it. Not saying it's better or worse than anything else, just that it's unique and that's part of the charm.

A Staytrem bridge is like $90, NBD. FWIW I much prefer that to the Mastery.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:23 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:41 am
kslight wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:19 am
standard 2 point trem if they must have a wiggle stick.
I agree that the stock JM bridge is useless garbage, but the trem is a thing of sublime beauty, no one's gonna put a regular 2 pt trem on a Jag or Jazzmaster. Ok FINE, someone will, there's people who'll put a Floyd on a 335, but generally if you're buying a JM you want that trem, cause there's nothing else like it. Not saying it's better or worse than anything else, just that it's unique and that's part of the charm.

A Staytrem bridge is like $90, NBD. FWIW I much prefer that to the Mastery.

I have a Squier contemporary jm with a factory 2 point trem (and active pickups, the sacrilege!) and a Squier j mascis jm with whatever trem that comes with. And a few other guitars that represent just about every major tailpiece variation except for Floyd, to round it out.

As someone who has never been crazy about wiggle sticks, i would genuinely like to know what is the nuance of this setup that makes it desirable?